Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Certified Java Associate etc..

Options
  • 18-03-2009 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭

Hello, I'm recently graduated ('08) and successfully unemployed. I'm thinking about aiming for some of the Sun certified credentials to give me something to do with my down time.

Any experience/advice on these? Where should I start, cost, value, procedure?

Is there something similar for c++?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DeJaMo

I passed the Sun Certified Java Programmer 1.6 last week.

It'll cost you about 220 euro for the exam voucher. I think Sun are doing an offer at the moment. If you fail, you get a repeat for free. I'd recommend Whizzlabs for sample questions. It's only 49 dollars. You should also get the book written by the exam authors - Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Any samples of the exam for Java? Might be interested in doing it after my degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭slogue

Probably better to do c#, used a lot more than c++

Microsoft run loads of courses
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/default.mspx

Also there are companies that run courses
    http://www.nhnorthernireland.com/localweb/

Might be an idea to ask FAS for funding for a course too

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

jchq.net for Java certification stuff. There is also a certification forum on boards.

SCJA is more for managers, doesn't really help you at all in regards to coding. Just get a general overview of Java and how it works (eg. UML stuff).

When you buy an exam voucher you can buy insurance for a little more. So if you fail you resit. Some mocks software will also refund you if you fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Thanks for the pointers lads, didn't realise there was a certifications forum. Will start looking into more of it now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement