Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fairly sure but I'd like input advice too.

• 18-03-2009 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

Not attempted one yet 'cept my own Dog Gucci about a year ago, I've being asked to photograph 2 seperate Dog's for 2 seperate people thru word of mouth, I've told them May when there are hopefully blue skies and in their own garden, I'm going to use a monopod and spend 30 or more minutes just watching them in the garden til they forget I am there....any further advice?
    I will take so many photos in RAW and start their own website on pix.ie, I will also give them a CD of the session, I assume I burn jpg to the CD...they can pick and pay whatever photos from the CD they want, price is not an issue I am looking for here btw.
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My advice - ditch the monopod.

Get down to the dogs level. Much better point of view, and should give more interactive photos with the dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

First thing's first. You've a dog called Gucci? Lol :D

No point in having a blue sky, or a green sky or a magenta one even if you're using a monopod at atleast 4' looking down at the dog. Ditch the monopod. There shouldnt even be a need for one if you're shooting in May when its sunny out. Should be well capable of 1/200s at f/2.8...not to mention having the 5DmkII's high ISO capability to play with. You don't need to only use higher iso's at night, you know.

I'd second Paul's opinion. get down to the dog's level. I spent about 5 minutes outside a few weeks ago with the 70-200, just kneeled down and shot, ended up with this:

3315322220_cbedc9d654.jpg

I'd say bring both your bodies, one with a wide angle, and the other with a zoom (24-105 on the 5D, 70-200 on the 40D). You can't really anticipate what a dog will do, unless its one of those lazy fcekers that just sit there and do nothing... But you're covered for a bit of movement with 2 bodies/2 lenses there.

Yup, burn the aul jpegs to cd.

knit picker: best of luck starting a website on pix.ie :D :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I'd have to agree with the monopod you want f2.8 (atleast)possibly lower(f/1.4?) if they sit still as a tiny bit of movement at f1.4 will ruin the sharpness on the eye.Take loads of pics using different apertures so you definetly have some keepers

I don't understand about pix.ie?Are you making an album for each?Or a new user for each?If the second i'd let marcus know first as he'll see you with 3 accounts on the same I.P address which might look like you were trying to have more upload space :pac:

Just a suggestion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Down low, bring them somewhere nice even better if you can get lower than you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Gotta say I forgot about the getting down real low... :o
    Cheers people.
    As to the pix.ie account I try and encourage people to start up there...by putting their Dog pics there and showing them how simple it is to upload hopefully they continue uploading pics, I like to see family and friends using the same photo hosting site as myself.
    1st Dog is a Corgi and they barely move, 2nd Dog is a Staff which will make me move!

ps
    Dog was a rescue Dog and already had the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Give plenty of time for the dog to relax with you they can be very inquisitive. if you get down to his level he will think "play time". I found with my lad run the hell out of him. that way he is less likely to charge.

3245153658_59212c4a36.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭paulkellypix

Here are my golden rules - probably shouldn't share them but they are hardly a secret.

1. Get there early to meet the dogs
    2. Let them sniff you and it helps to have some Markies or treat to give them if they get too curious!
    3. Find a suitable area to shoot
    4. Experiment with angles - low down, get a step ladder, close up, far away etc.
    5. Engage with owner and get the owner to play with the dogs.

This is one I did recently - getting low allowed me to get a good angle on his nose and this gives it a nice/strange feel.

3297344987_24301a328d_o.jpg

Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I'm very very good with Animals so hopefully that will help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

I'd spend a few days before with them because if you show up on the day they'll get all hyper-active even if they like you and it just wont seem natural.

Advertisement