Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Orals

Options
  • 18-03-2009 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Has anyone done theirs yet? I have mine on the 27th and am teaching myself so I'm just wondering what to expect. I did look at the syllabus and have prepared topics on that but how much amI expected to elaborate and will I have to talk about world affairs?

Thanks for any help. I'm just freaking out right now. At least with the listening and written aspects you have a sample to look at but with the orals there's no guidelines at all!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭kevogy

hung chung wee

icon11.gif

sorry couldnt resist

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

nothing about world affairs.
    the first five minutes is just basic, whats your name, age, talk about your family and school.
    then they give you a topic to talk about, like sports or the weekend or whatever and you talk about that for a while.
    then you have to talk about a picture that they show you.
    its pretty simple according to our sensei anyways.
    i have mine on tuesday afternoon, i'll post again after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Richyj_0

Hey all, I have my Japanese oral on Tuesday morning :eek:...I don't know what I'm going to do...I've semi-prepared self introduction and I've prepared hobbies..What else should I prerare?! Can anybody tell me what exactly section 2 and 3 are about? Thanks... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lionessleo

hobby, your family, sports, school life, japanese study, holidays, the weekend, food.
    section two you pick a piece of paper with a topic on it, talk about it for about two minutes and then they'll ask you a few questions.
    section three you pick a face down photo, talk about it for a few minutes, they'll ask you something specific, then you have to make comparisons between ireland and japan...

good luck, hope that helped :)
    mines tuesday too, im sooo nervous!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

I really wish i took this up :(

• Advertisement

Hey lionessleo, yeah that was helpful but it highlighted to me how underprepared I am though..:( It sounds a little bit difficult..Speaking for two minutes on a topic is far harder than it sounds.. My irish is on monday so I have to spend tomorrow doing that..And then monday evening doing loads of nihongo!! What textbook do you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Saffy

you can do japanese?????

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

Thank you so much for the help. I wasn't expecting pictures at all! The syllabus said a roleplay would need to be prepared but my exam co-ordinator rang the department and they said it was only simple conversation. Oh, Well!

I suppose talking about the picture is describing whats happening and the things in the picture rather than talking about anything abstract?

Once again thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Saffy wrote: »
    you can do japanese?????

No, of course not.............

Well this is it, I have the Japanese oral tomorrow. Watashi wa totemo ****ed desu!! :( Seriously..I'll post tomorrow..

• Advertisement

Ok so anybody else do theirs? I think mine went okish, probably a little bit better than i expected..Section 1 was good enough, section 2 was a bit worse and section 3 wasn't good at all...Overall I definitely think I passed though..

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

Richyj_0 wrote: »
    Well this is it, I have the Japanese oral tomorrow. Watashi wa totemo ****ed desu!! :( Seriously..I'll post tomorrow..

日本語はかんたんですよ! ^^
    心配ないで下さい!

i had mine today too.
    it went ok, my topic was the weekend and my picture was of three japanese women eating.
    she asked me pretty abstract questions though, like what time of year is it and why, even though they're sitting in a room with no windows.

just remember not to panic!
    my examiner was lovely but my nerves got the better of me.
    just remember your question words and you should be grand.!

gan batte to everyone else still to do theirs =]

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Richyj_0 wrote: »
    Ok so anybody else do theirs? I think mine went okish, probably a little bit better than i expected..Section 1 was good enough, section 2 was a bit worse and section 3 wasn't good at all...Overall I definitely think I passed though..

Nah we all failed Richy, its all Hiro-asshole's fault. :pac:
    BUUU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 PhilMickelson

Drakmord wrote: »
    ^^
    ^^

who's your japanese teacher? my teacher teaches in a few schools, maybe he's the same one..

who's your japanese teacher? my teacher teaches in a few schools, maybe he's the same one..
    Mine's Tetsuo Hirohama.
    I believe he teaches Japanese in other schools as well...

hmmm no my teachers irish, david mc cartney.
    don't think there's too many around anyways..

hmmm no my teachers irish, david mc cartney.
    don't think there's too many around anyways..
    Actually, my class had David-sensei for three classes this year! He's great! No offense to our sensei, but we'd be a lot better if we had David for the year! :pac:

yeah he's pretty good! where's your school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

i had mine today too.
    it went ok, my topic was the weekend and my picture was of three japanese women eating.
    she asked me pretty abstract questions though, like what time of year is it and why, even though they're sitting in a room with no windows.

just remember not to panic!
    my examiner was lovely but my nerves got the better of me.
    just remember your question words and you should be grand.!

gan batte to everyone else still to do theirs =]

LOL! I did the same topic and got the exact same questions on the photograph! I said it was summer because they had short-sleeved shirts (actually I said they had small shirts - why don't I know the word for sleeves?!!) and that they weren't using a komastsu.

Overall I think I did ok! Partially thanks to you guys; so thanks a mill!

Advertisement