Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish orals?

Options
  • 18-03-2009 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering about the irish oral.

How do you answer in the modh coinníollach?

Like the questions of what would you do if you were taoiseach/principal etc.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Rachainn - I would go
    Cheannóinn - I'd buy
    Thabharfainn - I'd give
    Bheinn - I would be
    Dhéanfainn - I'd do
    Chuirfinn - I'd put
    D'oibreoinn - I'd work

for the principal one, im saying:
    Thabharfainn leathlá do na daltaí ar an Aoine
    Bheinn tuisceanach, díograiseach agus rechúiseach
    Dhéanfainn mo sheacht ndícheall ar son maitheas na scoile
    D'oibreoinn go dian i gcónaí

Hope this is what your looking for!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I was told today that they dont really ask a direct question about the modh C anymore, eg. what would you do if you were taoiseach BUT it is recommended that you include it in the oral somewhere. Eg. If you are asked about the recession then part of your answer could be that if you were taoiseach that you would do x,y & z,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Rachainn - I would go
    Cheannóinn - I'd buy
    Thabharfainn - I'd give
    Bheinn - I would be
    Dhéanfainn - I'd do
    Chuirfinn - I'd put
    D'oibreoinn - I'd work

for the principal one, im saying:
    Thabharfainn leathlá do na daltaí ar an Aoine
    Bheinn tuisceanach, díograiseach agus rechúiseach
    Dhéanfainn mo sheacht ndícheall ar son maitheas na scoile
    D'oibreoinn go dian i gcónaí

Hope this is what your looking for!! :)
    Delta Kilo wrote: »
    I was told today that they dont really ask a direct question about the modh C anymore, BUT it is recommended that you include it in the oral somewhere.

Anne Marie, thanks a million! Exactly what Im looking for.

Delta Kilo, thanks for the headsup, Ill be sure to bring it in somewhere. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

It's best to bring it in yourself all over the place.

For example,
    if you're talking about Irish (the subject/ language w/e)
    Is breá liom é, blah blah blah, ach ceapaim go bhfuil sé an- dheacair ar fad (or what have you.)
    Dá mbeinnse i m'Aire Oideachas, d'athróinn an cúrsa.... Dhéanfainn dhá abhár as an ngaeilge, ceann teangan a bheith riachtanach agus ceann litríocht a bheith roghnach. etc etc etc..

Except.. I'd attempt to be a bit more grammatically correct, as I tend to type gaeilge up in the most dire way possible, so that's possibly all wrong, so very very wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

what the above people have said really and when/if they ask you about rules in the school you could say something like Da mbeinn i mo priomhoide ar an scoil seo d'athroinn na rialacha, mar shampla...

or should the health system happen to come up
    da mbeinn i mo priomhoide ar an scoil seo tabharfainn isteach be slaintuill sa bialann mar shampla... chaitfinn amach na bia geireach lofa...

simple things like that (sorry no fada's there, not a clue how to type them anymore!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

This doesnt really have anything to do with this thread but meh. :pac: I was thinkin of dropping to pass french cause I really dislike it and its annoying me more than anything. Can just put its time into other subjects. But anyway, my teacher told me today that I would stay in the honours class until after the orals. I said would I be doing a pass oral then? And she said that there is no difference and the examiners dont know if you are doing honours or pass until after. :confused: Is this true? It seems crazy to me.

.:FuZion:. wrote: »
    This doesnt really have anything to do with this thread but meh. :pac: I was thinkin of dropping to pass french cause I really dislike it and its annoying me more than anything. Can just put its time into other subjects. But anyway, my teacher told me today that I would stay in the honours class until after the orals. I said would I be doing a pass oral then? And she said that there is no difference and the examiners dont know if you are doing honours or pass until after. :confused: Is this true? It seems crazy to me.

Yes, that's true for both Irish and French.
    As far as I'm aware the pass will be marked out of a lower total when it's all totted up. The examiner will figure out if you're honours or pass fairly fast anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

bythewoods wrote: »
    Yes, that's true for both Irish and French.
    As far as I'm aware the pass will be marked out of a lower total when it's all totted up. The examiner will figure out if you're honours or pass fairly fast anyway.

Perfect answer. :D Thanks bythewoods. :p I thought they would know. Hmm. Im goin for an A1 in both pass Irish and French, but wont be using the useless points anyways unless something goes drastically wrong in another subject. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ba mhaith liom is my favourite phrase in the modh coinníollach.:D

Awesome. Thanks everyone.

Now just one more thing. I keep forgetting how to pronounce the bollickin verbs.

I remember you dont pronounce the f in most of the time.

as in the f in Deirfainn ( I think) or something to that extent.
    Can anyone help out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Deanfainn is pronounced Deanhing, or at least that's how I pronounce it!
    So same for Deirfinn - Deirhing. I have no idea how to say any of the others besides I would (like I can't say you, s/he, etc).

Irish oral tomorrow. Yesterday I was able to rhyme off some kind of sensible Irish, today I can't pull my verbs together at all. I keep saying things like 'I will go yesterday'. Gah. I can't believe the real thing is tomorrow... I'm going to completely freak out before the end of tonight :(:eek:

Deanfainn is pronounced Deanhing, or at least that's how I pronounce it!
    So same for Deirfainn - Deirhing. I have no idea how to say any of the others besides I would (like I can't say you, s/he, etc).

Irish oral tomorrow. Yesterday I was able to rhyme off some kind of sensible Irish, today I can't pull my verbs together at all. I keep saying things like 'I will go yesterday'. Gah. I can't believe the real thing is tomorrow... I'm going to completely freak out before the end of tonight :(:eek:
    Ooh, ok thanks!:D

Awh tomorrow?? Go n-éirí an bóthar leat! Hope you get back into things before tomorow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I always wondered that about the pass and honours, never understood it kind of makes sense now! I've my irish tomorrow, fucccckk:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

i've mine tomorrow and i have to say i'm absolutely bricking it.

do you not know anything either? I'm not joking, I stuggle to talk about my family and mo cheantar and I'm doing higher!

do you not know anything either? I'm not joking, I stuggle to talk about my family and mo cheantar and I'm doing higher!

no no i have a fair grasp of nathanna cainte deasa but ill go in and be so nervous ill be so concentrated on answering the questions that ill forget my good phrases. F***

That's what happened to me in the mock orals. I was all prepared and had lovely phrases. The examiner started asking questions and I blanked. I barely got out the info she wanted, nevermind the nice sounding phrases!
    But I still got a C, from my basic Irish and more than a few mixed up tenses.

i know what you mean yeh. i have the same problem. i tried not to think in english for my mock oral and came out with a B. teacher was a bit annoyed i didn't do better so tomorrow im going for the A.

I have never even done a mock oral before.

I have never even done a mock oral before.

tbh it won't make a difference. if i did 30 oral exams i'd still be as nervous. nothing can mask the effect of the actual exam. there's no doubt in my mind everyone will get one question they struggle with but you can overcome it. don't get too bogged down.

i went to an irish talk in maynooth college and the the guy said think of it as boxing. the more jabs you take the more points you score. (more words you say more points you get). Also when you go in and sit down think to yourself you've got in the door and are still okay. it's nothing to worry about provided you prepare. The hype of it all makes a mountain out of it really but just do the best you can.

• Advertisement

celtic723 wrote: »
    tbh it won't make a difference. if i did 30 oral exams i'd still be as nervous. nothing can mask the effect of the actual exam. there's no doubt in my mind everyone will get one question they struggle with but you can overcome it. don't get too bogged down.

i went to an irish talk in maynooth college and the the guy said think of it as boxing. the more jabs you take the more points you score. (more words you say more points you get). Also when you go in and sit down think to yourself you've got in the door and are still okay. it's nothing to worry about provided you prepare. The hype of it all makes a mountain out of it really but just do the best you can.
    Some lovely advice.:D Think Ill write that down and read it to myself before I go in. :p

also remember it's not an information test. your marked on your correctness and communicative skills and vocab but not on how much you know. if you dont have a clue about current affairs on the news try this and it will get you out. use it wisely though.

ohh ta bron orm Níl an am agam chun feachaint ar an teilifis agus da bharr sin nil aon eolais agam faoin chursai reatha.

Same. I thought the mock oral would stop me being nervous as I'd already have the experience of going in. All it did was highlight that I needed to work on my tenses - but I knew that anyway, I just thought I could bluff it. I'm much more nervous now than I was for the mock oral.

You will be fine. Obviously they want decent Irish, but we've been told that so long as they know you're trying to understand and give answers, they will try to award marks wherever they can.
    My Irish teacher was saying the other day a girl went in, started freaking out, saying she hadn't any Irish, couldn't do the oral, etc. The examiner said 'Feach amach as an fhuinneog' and she looked out the window, and he said, see you do have Irish. She realised he was on her side, and sat the rest of the oral (I don't know how she got on, but she sat it. You can't get any marks if you don't sit it!).
    I know teachers are always harping on about how the examiners are teachers and want to help you and all that, but it seems they do. My mock oral examiner (external, not just my teacher) really tried to help us, and made exaggerated hand gestures once or twice to try and put thoughts in my head so I could say something (and so the tape wouldn't record it and she could give me marks!)

Good luck to anyone else starting tomorrow! (Or indeed, anyone starting at all!) :D

Same. I thought the mock oral would stop me being nervous as I'd already have the experience of going in. All it did was highlight that I needed to work on my tenses - but I knew that anyway, I just thought I could bluff it. I'm much more nervous now than I was for the mock oral.

You will be fine. Obviously they want decent Irish, but we've been told that so long as they know you're trying to understand and give answers, they will try to award marks wherever they can.
    My Irish teacher was saying the other day a girl went in, started freaking out, saying she hadn't any Irish, couldn't do the oral, etc. The examiner said 'Feach amach as an fhuinneog' and she looked out the window, and he said, see you do have Irish. She realised he was on her side, and sat the rest of the oral (I don't know how she got on, but she sat it. You can't get any marks if you don't sit it!).
    I know teachers are always harping on about how the examiners are teachers and want to help you and all that, but it seems they do. My mock oral examiner (external, not just my teacher) really tried to help us, and made exaggerated hand gestures once or twice to try and put thoughts in my head so I could say something (and so the tape wouldn't record it and she could give me marks!)

Good luck to anyone else starting tomorrow! (Or indeed, anyone starting at all!) :D

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: good advice. and good luck with your orals and good luck to everyone else too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 i'm lovely!

anyone else going to a meeting with the examiner first thing in the morning before the orals. if so what sort of questions will you be asking and do we have to ask them in irish??

anyone else going to a meeting with the examiner first thing in the morning before the orals. if so what sort of questions will you be asking and do we have to ask them in irish??

i am as well. i'm pretty sure it's routine. i'm not going to ask them anything at all. i'll just listen to other questions and take them aboard. i presume it would be good to do it in Irish as it will get your head in gear for the actual exam but i doubt they will refuse to answer should you pose a question in english.

i would also like to know will the examiners stop you from going on and on even if what your saying is very much related to their question.?

celtic723 wrote: »
    i would also like to know will the examiners stop you from going on and on even if what your saying is very much related to their question.?

It depends on the examiner.

Usually, you will get cut across, not mid sentence or anything. Not straight away either, but after a while.

Just, don't make it SOUND like you've everything learned off..!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

If the Orals started thsi morning I think I was probably one of the first in.
    I was a little nervous going in but the examiner gave a little waffle first and said not to be worrying that shes there to give marks and that we drive the conversation. She'll ask as little as possible if you keep talking.
    And then I went into the room with the other examiner. First in, tape recorder wouldnt work but once we got going it was all good. The examiner was very good and she kept the conversation flowing.
    I hadnt used the the modh conniollach so she asked if me , "if i gave you a free ticket to anywhere in the world where would you go"?

I have to say it was a lot easier than I thought, Once I kept waffling!!

Go n'éire an t-adh libh

• Advertisement

I survived! We actually got the lovliest man ever. He asked some random questions though... I understood everything, and was able to give him some form of answer in Irish back.
    He didn't ask very much about me, just asked about my brother and sister (only because I sort of dragged it in) and what I want to do next year. Then he went over and back and back over my tenses. Then he asked what rules of the school I didn't agree with, about Paddy's Day and Mother's Day, and why travelling is important. Oh and something about different cultures. Most of it is a blur tbh.

But the whole thing was much easier than I thought it would be. He didn't go anywhere near politics/other sort of awkward topics with anyone either, even though I'd prepared some answers.

So all in all, the people in my year who've done it so far said it was much much easier than they thought it would be. Anyone else still to do theirs, good luck and there really isn't any need to be nervous. They really are there to help you! :D

Advertisement