Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish orals?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I had Irish as well today. He gave me some annoying questions I didn't prepare for such as, Irish rugby grandslam, Bernard Dunne becoming world champion and Manchester United losing 2-0 grrr

Other than it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

:rolleyes:done mine today! there was 2 examiners, one young lady who i had, she was great and really let me steer the conversation! the other one was a old mean and very strange lady, my teacher was tellin me that at lunch she wouldn go into the staff room with them and the other examiner, and instead she said she would rather go sit in her car for an hour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Did mine today too. Was alri, but got waaayy to nervous. He asked me some mad question after I said my name, don't know what it was. Was too bad tho. Bring on french.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Ours started today, Examiner gave us the little pep talk too. He seems really nice.
    Those who have gone in already tho are saying he doesnt ask any difficult stuff, no módh conníolach or anything. Im gona bring it in just incase, hes been waiting for everyone else to.

Uggh, sore throat and flu..couldnt be better timing.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

today went very well for Irish. the woman i had was really nice but kept cutting across me everytime i went to say something. i got my módh conníollach in so i'm very happy.:D

dreading the French one tbh. i don't know how it's gonna' go. Please God it goes well *touches wood*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Richyj_0

Had my Irish today, went better than I thought. Just asked me the basic questions..Family, college, where I live etc. I completely forgot about using good Irish though..But the conversation was always flowing so I suppose thats good. So I'm happy!:)

But I'm dreading Japanese tomorrow..Will be an utter disaster..:( However, Spanish next week will be fine, ceapaim!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

i am freaked! our examiner was sound but he kept asking the most abstract questions. We were talking about sport for the majority of it (he was a flipping liverpool fan :mad:) and kept asking me about man u losing there past few matches and the rugby world cup

he threw me off a little because the very first question he asked was where do you live, not even dia duit or anything of the sort. Was really dissapointed as well because i didnt get my modh conniolacht in! Was happy with my sliocht so im confident i got at least 5% in my oral :D

he said i did good though at the end (it absolutely flew by! I was really surprised when he turned off the tape!) just happy its all over with... just gotta do french now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

my lad was grand, he was really nice and tryed to just let you mostly talk about you wanted. I still didn't do that great though, and I don't think I pu the modh conldfoszfnkldnflks in it anywhere, apart from ba mhaith liom.. is that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Had mine yesterday.
    After all my preparation for the culu, what I'd do if i was taoiseach and a lán rudai eile, he avoided it like the plague....
    I led it off his direction and onto my favourite subject and career and ended up having a good conversation with him, but was disappointed about the recession!
    Apparently same goes for a number of schools in the county, is this true of everyone?

Had mine yesterday.
    After all my preparation for the culu, what I'd do if i was taoiseach and a lán rudai eile, he avoided it like the plague....
    I led it off his direction and onto my favourite subject and career and ended up having a good conversation with him, but was disappointed about the recession!
    Apparently same goes for a number of schools in the county, is this true of everyone?
    Exact same here. Was a lil dissapointed but he was full of compliments throughout the exam and after, so fairly happy with what I said:D

• Advertisement

is it true in both French and Irish that if you aren't asked or haven't brought in the recession bank scandal and the likes you won't get an A1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 !Fr@nge!

Dats absolute bull-crap. I don't know about french but in irish the examiners were advised not to bring up the topic of "cúlú eacnamaíochta" unless ye brought it in yerself of course.
    I got asked stuff about unemployment n stuff comin to the end.
    Kinda a bit annoyed over mine. The Questions were so easy just all the basics lik, at least if he asked me something hard i'd be able to blabber on and he'd be impressed dat i cud answer the question. no sign of MC at all with anyone at all except for some pass people, suppose he ran out of questions because they wern't talkin. Its the biggest over rated yoke goin, I didn care atall how I done - maby i might have done better if I wasn't so anxious to get it out of the way. it's complete bull-crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

celtic723 wrote: »
    is it true in both French and Irish that if you aren't asked or haven't brought in the recession bank scandal and the likes you won't get an A1?

Whoever told you that is a liar. It is supposed to be a general conversation that is directed by the examiner and you are also able to steer it the way you want to. In fact, if you wanted, you could give just a general statement about the economy and say that you have not got time to watch news, read papers etc because you are doing the leaving cert.

Something along the lines of:
    Gan dabht, tá cúlú eacnamaíochta ar siúl anois, ná amháin in Éirinn ach ar fud an Domhain. Is fadhb an-mhór é mar tá an rátá dífhostaíochta ag méadú anois agus níl aon airgid ag na daoine. Is fáinne fí é. Níl aon muinín agam as na bpolaiteoirí mar tá siad lofa. Thug siad an cuid is mó den airgead don locht tógála agus na baincéirí. Dá mbeinn i mo thaoiseach, thabharfainn an bata agus an bóthair do na baincéirí agus chruthóinn níos mó fostaíocht sa tír. Mheallfainn níos mó comhlachtaí móra cosúil le Dell ón Mheiriceá go hÉirinn. Ach, níl a lán eolas agam faoin gcúlú eacnamaíochta mar tá mé ag déanamh an Ardteist agus níl aon am agam chun an nuacht a fheiceáil nó na nuachtáin a léamh. Tá mé ag staidéar go dian agus ba mhaith liom a lán pointí a fháil mar ba mhaith liom cúrsa leighis a dhéanamh.

Then go down and bring in the pressure that is on students today etc.

There is probably a lot of grammar mistakes in that so don't go writing it in an essay or anything!:D

(btw, does níl aon take the tuiseal ginideach?)

thanks for the reply. so that means the same goes for French?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I've heard of a lot of people not being asked about the recession too, my Irish teacher was saying it could be because there's a lot of people out there affected by it and the examiner doesn't want to possibly upset the student if they have family/friends who have been affected by it through unemplyment or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Jello wrote: »
    I've heard of a lot of people not being asked about the recession too, my Irish teacher was saying it could be because there's a lot of people out there affected by it and the examiner doesn't want to possibly upset the student if they have family/friends who have been affected by it through unemplyment or whatever.

I'm gonna get it in no matter what :)

(Not what the rest of my year are gonna say though, have a load on Uni Fees ready)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭.:FuZion:.

I put in my bit about the recession. :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

When we were preparing for the oral we were advised to stay away from politics, not because it's hard, but because the examiner might be of somewhat differing political views to you, and then things might be unpleasant. (Okay, well, we were just told not to badmouth Bertie to bits in case they were a Fianna Fáil head.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

whooo

had mine today it went fricking fabulously!

spoke about rugby,school,irish,whatd i do if i was minister for education,what do i think of my area,what problems are there,whatd i do if i was taoiseach,gealteacht and think that was it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Fecking oral been moved forward to Monday instead of Wednesday, we haven't had an Irish class since last Monday because we've been doing French, so now I'm completely and utterly f*cked.:(

Anyone have something to say about the Grand Slam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I was asked about the recession, you could say I brought it up cos I said I want to do economics in college but I didn't really bring it up

Anyone have something to say about the Grand Slam?
    Gnothaigh sé úd-he got a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Mine went really well, was totally delighted with it!
    Got asked about everything, except the basics,
    Tere was a bit'a The Health System, Education System, The Points System, The Transport System, the Irish language, Tourism, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, unemployment, the recession, politics- everything!
    Wrote a blog about it if anyone's interested! (See link in sig!)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Back Prince

i had a ledge of an examiner was a beauty was so animal she justed asked me bout family area problems in my area and footie was ****ten it didnt help that she wasted like 15 minutes forgeting were the room was and her bag but animal

bythewoods wrote: »
    Mine went really well, was totally delighted with it!
    Got asked about everything, except the basics,
    Tere was a bit'a The Health System, Education System, The Points System, The Transport System, the Irish language, Tourism, drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, unemployment, the recession, politics- everything!
    Wrote a blog about it if anyone's interested! (See link in sig!)

no offence but from first impression i'd be led to believe your up yourself. and tbh i doubt i'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

celtic723 wrote: »
    no offence but from first impression i'd be led to believe your up yourself. and tbh i doubt i'm wrong.

Absolutely spot on tbh!
    I <3 me.

bythewoods wrote: »
    Absolutely spot on tbh!
    I <3 me.
    Tá grá agam dom féin frieisin:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

"Up yourself"? Never heard that phrase before! That's a pretty entertaining blog tbh, hadn't come across it before.

As for Irish, I'm pretty much sorted on everything apart from matters concerning the transport system and the environment. Really want to get it over with. It's a bit turdish though that the oral scores aren't made available... "Dá mbeinn i m'aire oideachais is cinnte go bhfeicfinn mo frickin marc don scrudu beal a raibh deanta agam *scowls*"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Dont understand what the big deal is about the modh cionniollach. If you get in you get it in if you dont you dont. Your hardly asked the question. I wasnt anyway! There is more to the oral than the conditional tense.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Ah but what would a language be without the conditional? ; p

Advertisement