Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish orals?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I got asked about the english course and what poet I prefer and why.

Bit mad, but I managed it ok! Wasn't too shabby!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Dont understand what the big deal is about the modh cionniollach. If you get in you get it in if you dont you dont. Your hardly asked the question. I wasnt anyway! There is more to the oral than the conditional tense.;)

Yes, there's more to it, but if you can get it in then you should! It's a way of showing off your ability to conjugate verbs in an array of tenses like.

Obviously fitting in one sentence about how you'd buy a big house if you won the lotto isn't exactly going to get you an A, but fitting it in yourself as much as you can (and doing so correctly) will improve your chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

When you walk into the room will the examiner go "Dia duit" and then you just reply "Dia is Muire"? Or what way does it go?

Also would "Slan go foill" be ok for saying good bye at the end? Or would it need to be more formal?

Got three sentences for the Grand Slam:

Bhi me ag braithnu ar an cluiche Eire in aghaidh Bhreatain Bheag - I watched the match...

La an stairiuil ar fhad - What a historic day!

An chead uair a bhuaigh muid i seasca a haon bhliain - First time we won it in 61 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Irish oral on tuesday =/

Been trying to study, but I can't stop thinking in French!
    Can't remember how to say ANYTHING in Irish!!

AHHHHHHHH!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Relax please. We're here to give ye marks, not take them away. Read over some of your notes for the Oral and it will bring it all back to you.
    Ádh mhór do chuile dhuine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Had mine today, thought it went feckin' brilliant.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

one tip. keep talking. if you keep talking you will be fine, even if you arent sure it makes complete sense just keep talking being confident in yourself is half the battle. trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

a guy in my year got asked about the traffic, when his birthday was and what hed get for it, nothing about school, holidays, the gaeltacht, his area, now im scared:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 UnDeNiAbLe

our irish examiner is so hard........she asked qs like what does this towns name mean?.....why didnt you do tran year/u think iots a waste of time?..Why dont you want to become a teacher?..where do u see urself in 2020.....she asked a girl her phone number and she loves to talk about phiones...an she hates drinking so the few people who said they drink...she gave them a hard time
    an she told a girl to sing an said she once gave a girl An A becaus she sang for her!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: i mean come on.........

oral tomarrow an i am screwed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Did quite well. The examiner avoided questions on social problems, political matters and the recession (even though I overtly mentioned it at one point!) - all things that I had lovely stuff prepared on. Suppose I could have got talking about politics (and the recession) had I mentioned it as a pastime. Oh well. And many thanks to those that offered some help in the numerous oral threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Mine went really well, she didn't ask me anything about politics or the recession or any of that crap, they were almost all nice easy questions that I could answer no bother. She told me at the end that I had very good Irish too which must be a good sign :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Haven't spoken or written or read any Irish in nearly two years. Would it be cheeky if I told examiner tomorrow that I prepared the first 5 reading-out bits without lookin at them? :P

amacachi wrote: »
    Haven't spoken or written or read any Irish in nearly two years. Would it be cheeky if I told examiner tomorrow that I prepared the first 5 reading-out bits without lookin at them? :P
    Yeah mine was pretty much the exact same, asked if Id ever been to the gaeltacht, or if my parents spoke Irish, when Id answered no to both, he asked 'well where did you learn your irish?' i said in primary and secondary school and he said well its really good for that much learning.
    He said it to most of the people doing honours in my year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Jammyc wrote: »
    Yeah mine was pretty much the exact same, asked if Id ever been to the gaeltacht, or if my parents spoke Irish, when Id answered no to both, he asked 'well where did you learn your irish?' i said in primary and secondary school and he said well its really good for that much learning.
    He said it to most of the people doing honours in my year.

Only doing ordinary meself and been out of school for two years :P

Anyone know what the Irish for Rugby League would be? So if I was asked about the Grand Slam I could go off on a tangent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

bhuaigh muid

Non Munster Irish, eeeeeeww :pac:

My oral went alright, I think my practice one with my teacher went better(118/150), but it was still a good bit better than the one I did for me pre(101/150)! Somewhere in the middle methinks. I was just so so incredibly nervous. I even started crying half an hour before I was due to go in! An Irish teacher I didn't know at all looked after me though, made me a cup of tea and brought me down to practice with her pass students, to make me realise how good I am, she said, hahaha! Anyway, I was asked did I want to postpone it til the next day but I said no, I just wanted it overwith.
    The examiner was really really nice, from Ballingeary(there'll so be someone who has him as a teacher on here! :p), about retiring age, works in a tiny school with like 67 pupils, we have over 1000! He couldn't have been nicer, gave me general questions and let me ramble on about them(as much as I could anyway). He said my sliocht was go hiontach and asked me had I been to the gaeltacht because my gaeilge was an-mhaith. :) Still, I was beetroot red and shaking through the entire thing and pretty much like a deer in the headlights, so maybe he was just being nice! Hope not anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

amacachi wrote: »
    Only doing ordinary meself and been out of school for two years :P

Anyone know what the Irish for Rugby League would be? So if I was asked about the Grand Slam I could go off on a tangent :)

Its rugby union not rugby league ( thats for pansy's who hit each other with handbags! ).

Cumann rugbai.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

My Oral was grand, but I can't really remember my orals after I do them so I probably blanked out the bad stuff :p

The sliocht was fun, I got the first one and seeing as Id ben practising it all dramatically (A Lisa, tá tú imithe sa diabhal!) I read it like that and when I finished she was like "...so you like drama then?". The questions were all pretty normal until it got on to the education system when I brought in the Modh Choiniallach (can't spell that >.<) all on my own cos I thought that'd be me done with it, but she asked me a few more MC questions, including do I have any solutions to the ecession, which I didn't really answer really, I think I said the blame lies with politicians and then went on a rant about corrupt politicians, but I don't think I said anything too enlightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Had Irish today.

Got sliocht 10, was grand, got a very good response to that.

After that though, i totally blanked.
    Every sentence i learned had left my brain, and left me scrambling to put together a sentence. It was actually horrible. The worst 15 min i've ever experienced. There are chunks that i completely forgot to talk about, past times and interests like, and i forgot so much vary basic stuff.

I'm so angry at myself! I feel like I totally sold myself short.

Ah well... Ill make up for it in the written.. I hope.

I never have to speak Irish again! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Yeyy orals over!! I had irish today, i had the nicest examiner, he was lovely!! Probably in his fifties, seemed really posh and quite strict but he wasnt at all! He made it feel more like a conversation, agreeing all the time and saying i understand, or yes you're right. The people doing pass said he stopped the tape for them to explain questions or tell them the next sentence to say :) so i think everyone was in love with him by the end of the day!!
    Once again, same as in french, he fired straight into where I live (after lovely sliocht a seacht :P), but the questions were grand and if it looked like i was running outta things to say he would bring up something else to talk about. I got asked about where I live, tourism in the area, parents jobs, pastimes, what i wanna do after school, and then the rest was talking bout the health system, which i brought up :) In the middle of it when i was talking bout irish in general he asked did i do a lot of irish in national school cos i had really good irish! i honestly couldnt believe when he turned off the tape that it was over!
    So anyone that still has theirs to do, hopefully ye get an examiner like i did and ye'll be fine :) they're really there to help and once you get into the swing of things after the sliocht it really flies :D

Sorry for sucha long post, but im in a happy chatty mood :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shonie

we were told to remember it this way...when the examiner há's you hinn....hope that helps....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,994 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Yeyy orals over!! I had irish today, i had the nicest examiner, he was lovely!! Probably in his fifties, seemed really posh and quite strict but he wasnt at all! He made it feel more like a conversation, agreeing all the time and saying i understand, or yes you're right. The people doing pass said he stopped the tape for them to explain questions or tell them the next sentence to say :) so i think everyone was in love with him by the end of the day!!
    Once again, same as in french, he fired straight into where I live (after lovely sliocht a seacht :P), but the questions were grand and if it looked like i was running outta things to say he would bring up something else to talk about. I got asked about where I live, tourism in the area, parents jobs, pastimes, what i wanna do after school, and then the rest was talking bout the health system, which i brought up :) In the middle of it when i was talking bout irish in general he asked did i do a lot of irish in national school cos i had really good irish! i honestly couldnt believe when he turned off the tape that it was over!
    So anyone that still has theirs to do, hopefully ye get an examiner like i did and ye'll be fine :) they're really there to help and once you get into the swing of things after the sliocht it really flies :D

Sorry for sucha long post, but im in a happy chatty mood :D:D

No need to be sorry Ann-Marie!

Not many people get to be happy after their orals!
    Enjoy it, you deserve it!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

god, I used to love those sliochts...... (stares whimsically into the abyss...)

:p

god, I used to love thbose sliochts...... (stares whimsically into the abyss...)

:p
    Nice JD moment there...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

Got sliocht a haon - delighted!

The oral itself was a joke though.. No one got asked MC at all.. Nothing in any way difficult got asked. I don't know what way the examiner's going to mark it! Didn't get to show off at all :p

My class were ready for all sorts of abstract topics but nothing got asked! We talked our way into social problems and recession and he just ignored it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 laurita

I'm looking for an essay on the recession and poverty if anyone has it done!! I've the rest of the honours course done so if anyone wants help with any other aspect of the course. I'm willing to share.

Please help only a few weeks to go!!

Advertisement