Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me find this! Please!

Options
  • 18-03-2009 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys!

can somebody tell me exactly where I can find a key to open an esb meter box in the city?

I am aware that our ESB customer supply shop is gone. I was told I could get one in a hardware store, but which one! Rather than walk all over town trying every single one could someone tell me where exactly that they themselves know that do them!?!

Got another outrageous estimated ESB bill this morning and i have had enough i need to read my meter! :mad:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You were told a hardware store?
    Suprise suprise that's where you'll find them, only cost a euro. Goldenpages.ie have a long list of hardware stores in galway with communication details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

B & Q in knocknacarra

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

got one at woodie's last week

does radiators too :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Xiney wrote: »
    got one at woodie's last week

does radiators too :pac:

Thanks Xiney! Woodies is alot closer to me than B&Q! No radiators but il be holding on to it when i get it anyway! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Eireann

Contact ESB Networks at 1850 372 757 or email them at esbnetworks@esb.ie and they will send out one to you free :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Got one in CT electric on the Headford Road last Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Hey,

You don't have to buy on of these - mine opens with a long pliers!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

pencil wrote: »
    Hey,

You don't have to buy on of these - mine opens with a long pliers!

Ya was going to say same thing, easy to open and close with it

*mono* wrote: »
    Ya was going to say same thing, easy to open and close with it

dont have a set of pliers either!! well i sent an email to esb so hopefully they will send one out to me free as another poster suggested! but thanks for all the help and info guys! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭galwayguy22

Get a fork, and bend away the first and third "spike". Insert and twist.

If it is to small, bend away the middle two spikes. Job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Just to warn you though , it is illegal to open and interfear with these boxes;)

stay safe children ;)

i just want to read my meter. i believe thats not illegal.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

3fullback wrote: »
    Just to warn you though , it is illegal to open and interfear with these boxes;)

stay safe children ;)

No it's not!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

3fullback wrote: »

stay safe children ;)

It's illegal to interfere with them, opening up the whole thingymajigamabob

Not to open up the front cover to read it.

dont have a set of pliers either!! well i sent an email to esb so hopefully they will send one out to me free as another poster suggested! but thanks for all the help and info guys! :)

Banshee, they'll send you one no problem, they're quite fast too.

Eireann wrote: »
    Banshee, they'll send you one no problem, they're quite fast too.

yup, got an email from them this morning saying they will send it out and i should have it in the next few days. Next problem is trying to figure out which meter box is ours! 6 to choose from!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Scorpio Girl

get your mprn number from your bill and check it against the meters until you find the right one.

get your mprn number from your bill and check it against the meters until you find the right one.

Oh will do! Thanks! we were thinking of picking the best of the bunch* i.e whatever would decrease our next bill the most!!! :D:D

*yes i am joking before you ask!

ok i took down the mprn number but can find it on any of the 6 meters i checked! where exactly on the meter is it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Scorpio Girl

not sure, i'll check for you later.

• Advertisement

ok i took down the mprn number but can find it on any of the 6 meters i checked! where exactly on the meter is it?!

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/domestic_customers/metering/read_meter_reading.jsp
    "A Meter Point Reference Number (MPRN) is a unique 11 digit number assigned to every single electricity connection and meter in the country. An example of what an MPRN number looks like is: 10009998888 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

yup, got an email from them this morning saying they will send it out and i should have it in the next few days. Next problem is trying to figure out which meter box is ours! 6 to choose from!!!

Turn on all your appliances at the same time and see which meter is whirring the fastest...

ha ha thanks everyone, rang the property manager and figured it out! got the reading so next esb bill should be really interesting!! :pac:

ha ha thanks everyone, rang the property manager and figured it out! got the reading so next esb bill should be really interesting!! :pac:

Well is the meter reading higher or lower than that of the last bill?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Well is the meter reading higher or lower than that of the last bill?

Lower...to the tune of almost 1,000 units.

Get the key yet?!

Eireann wrote: »
    Get the key yet?!

yup got it in the post today! Thanks a million! :)

Great :)

Advertisement