Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Irish Accents EVER!

Options
  • 18-03-2009 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

I have 2 notable worst Irish accents ever and I think many will agree with me.

Tom Cruise in Far & Away. I only saw about 10 mins of it and it was just outrageously bad. Cringeworthy.

If anyone used to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel was 'Irish' apparently. They used to do these flashback scenes where he was in Ireland back in the olden days and he had the absolute worst Irish accent I have ever ever heard.

It was a mix of Northern Irish and Cork I think. Very up and downy. Brutal.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Could he have been from Wexford then?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

When I read the title my answer was going to be Dublin.

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

Julia Roberts in Michael Collins.....just terrible.
    Richard Gere in the Jackal....seriously man wtf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Dana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Sean Patrick Flanery and Norman Reedus in Boondock Saints. But because the rest of their performance was good they managed to get away with it. not easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Cork people

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Kimia wrote: »
    If anyone used to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel was 'Irish' apparently. They used to do these flashback scenes where he was in Ireland back in the olden days and he had the absolute worst Irish accent I have ever ever heard.

It was a mix of Northern Irish and Cork I think. Very up and downy. Brutal.
    Well he was supposed to be from Galway which is half between the north and cork so he didnt do that bad a job :pac:

Id go with Colin Farrell pretending to be American doin an Irish accent in Daredevil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭ZiMZuM

Leonardo DiCaprio in Gangs of New York!eeeek :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Colin Farrell in In Bruges. Who does he think he's kidding with that one :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Gerard Butler in P.S I love you.....

Criiiiinge...........

• Advertisement

To be fair I think they purposely made him speak like that. He is totally equiped to know better. He was married to an Irish woman before the playboy bunny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Have to agree with the Tom "Nutcase" Cruise nomination.
    Like his cult, his accent was just out of this world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Brian O'Driscolls accent is pretty horrible. Also, people from Cork.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Yer wan that was in Heroes.... woeful accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I forgot about Gerard Butler. What was the deal with him calling yer one 'baby' all the time in that horrific way. Shudder.

And I like him! He was lovely in 300 which has to be one of the best films ever for pure enjoyment sake.

I did mean people pretending to be Irish but yes Colin Farrell is a strange one. Apparently he's supposed to be quite posh but he talks like a gouger. I suppose it's because he is so hard core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Some northern and central Ireland accents are very harsh ie ,Belfast and Leitrim .Brad Pitts knacker accent in that boxing film was like marbles rolling around in puke ,,yearrraghhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Mr.Lizard wrote: »
    Brian O'Driscolls accent is pretty horrible. Also, people from Cork.

Ahh now, don't be confusing Irish accent with the "D4" accent. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Oh lord the D4 accent. It makes my stomach turn and my teeth grate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Most of the bad ones have been mentioned. I can forgive an American but Gerald Butler from Scotland is inexcusable, what went wrong?

So on another note, Daniel Day Lewis had the accent perfect for In the Name of the Father.
    Great actor

offtopic I know

Sometimes it's hard to pin point the accents on those rugby guys .O Gara I am not sure .Female interviewer for BBC after last weeks match asked him about his kicking and in a flash he replied '' I made a balls of it .

Got to be a Lietrim ,Tipparay or Cork man .:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

latchyco wrote: »
    Some northern and central Ireland accents are very harsh ie ,Belfast and Leitrim .Brad Pitts knacker accent in that boxing film was like marbles rolling around in puke ,,yearrraghhhhhh

You're referring to Snatch?
    They never once implied that that characther was Irish

Hence the line:
    It's not English, it's not Irish, it's just pikey.
    Paraphrasing that quote, it's how I remember it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Oh lord the D4 accent. It makes my stomach turn and my teeth grate.

Oh my GOD, I can't believed you uttered such a statement you poor peasant... :pac:

mikemac wrote: »
    You're referring to Snatch?
    They never once implied that that characther was Irish?

Hence the line:
    It's not English, it's not Irish, it's just pikey.
    Paraphrasing that quote, it's how I remember it
    Yeah Snatch .Crossbreed so .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Sean Connery in the untochables,didnt know Irish people had Scottish accents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Anywhere outside Dublin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 hazelhoff

Gerard Butler in P.S I love you.....

Criiiiinge...........

totally agree that made me sick looking at it the way hes says and DRAGS out HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLY, ridiculous irish accent!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

the "irish" chap in grand theft auto 4. Brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

What did those vowel sounds ever do to deserve such treatment from D4 people?!!!!

Really, it isn't people who live in D4 postal address with the problem judging by my visits to south Dublin. It is outsiders seeking to sound 'posh' or 'sophisticated'. A desperate desire to be associated with the monied classes, this desire in it itself being rooted in major insecurity.

Call me biased, dismissive, or prejudiced - but once I hear somebody open their mouth and talk in that stupid AA Roadwatch accent, I've already found out all I want to know about them.

If you speak in your natural accent, then there are no bad Irish accents really. If you put on a posh or knacker accent - that is where the problems start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Colin Farrell in In Bruges. Who does he think he's kidding with that one :rolleyes:

His American accents make me cringe.

The winner overall has got to be Tommy Leee Jones in Blown Away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭noel farrell

this is going back a bit sean connery in darby o gill and the little people great actor should have kept his scottish one :o:o

Advertisement