Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official O2 iPhone Announcement

Options
  • 18-03-2009 5:13pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys after a couple of weeks of waiting I can officially confirm what the announcment is going to be.

Essentially based on some feed back from the wish-list and other parts of the business we saw that the iPhone price plans were a little restrictive and needed some remodelling for the reason I am proud to announce that we have 2 new iPhone plans. These will be available as of tomorrow! and you can change to them on your next billing date if you so wish.

1. I-phone unlimited O2 calls & texts incl 1GB data - €40
    2. I-phone unlimited O2 calls & landline calls incl 1GB data - €40

We are also introducing a new business plan for iPhone which is as follows:
    • O2 Release with iPhone price plan
    • Unlimited calls and texts for just €109 ex vat (€131.89 inc. vat) per iPhone
    • Calls to all national fixed & mobile numbers included
    • Texts apply to all national fixed & mobile numbers
    • 1GB of data usage also included & FREE Unlimited Access to all 155 Bizbuzz WiFi Hotspots

Source: o2 Forums

Some clarifications..
    O2 release is a business package that has been in place for a while not but is now compatible with the iPhone. It basically gives you unlimited calls and texts to all networks for the above price as well as including the data add-on.

If you are currently in contract then you do not have to recontract however you need to be on an iPhone price plan for at least 6 months to change as per usual.
    Yes it is to O2 number only and charges to call other networks are as per the O2 Clear Unlimited plans which can be seen here.
    • Calls to Irish mobiles and landlines: 25c per minute
    • Text messages to other mobiles: 10c per text

Source: Daryll @ o2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

For "Restrictive" read "Expensive".

And this surely has nothing to do with the new iPhone rumoured to be on the way during the Summer? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

does nothing for me.

As I do happen to call people outside O2's network the original tarriff is better value for me!

Much ado about nothing !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Still stingy with the ol' data allowance :/

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It's some pile of crap, o2 are really milking the iphone, would imagine apple are dying to get out of the exclusivity period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It doesn't really impress me at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Considering that I know more than 3 people, I would easily spend that extra fiver ringing non-O2 numbers and landlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Sully wrote: »
    Source: o2 Forums

Some clarifications..

Source: Daryll @ o2

I've just being on the www.o2.ie website and it has yet to confirm the updates

• Registered Users Posts: 36 CapnMark

Does nothing for me. Very disappointing from O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Vanbis wrote: »
    I've just being on the www.o2.ie website and it has yet to confirm the updates

You know how O2 are on their website. You should be thankful that it is actually up, never mind up to date. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's an announcement on the forums saying that the shop is down because some updates last night failed and they've had to roll it back. It was probably these new tarriffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,973 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This is a more restrictive tarriff than the first one. What a joke. Are the texts restricted to O2 aswell or just the calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Yeah this exlusivity deal with O2 is a balls!

I'm with Vodafone - and for all I thought of them (not the worst in fairness) - their tarriffs are a hell of a lot better than O2 - if I want the iPhone I'll have to jump to O2 (as soon as the next gen iPhone is coming out)!

Things against O2:
    - not allowing carry over of minutes
    - 175 minutes for €45?!?!?
    - Pay for Voicemail
    - not implementing Visual Voicemail
    - At least when vodafone do free Vodafone-Vodafone, it's thrown in as well as the any time, any network deal

Things for:
    - International Webtext

Ebay isn't an option for me (nor will ever be) - iPhones are just too expensive to buy non-contract

I wonder how long the exclusivity contract if for? As it's bad for consumers and surely bad for iPhone sales (puzzling move by Apple) as I would have gone iPhone as soon as, if it had been available on Vodafone
    -Phuqer- wrote: »
    Nothing amazing about these new tariffs. It'd be great if there wasn't an exclusive network for the iPhone and the networks were fighting against each other.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I know a few people in Apple and asked around today, no-one I know has any connection to the iphone, so not really insiders but the feeling is that O2 in Ireland have been an average partner at best. However they are unimpressed with a lot of the carriers worldwide as well so nothing different there.

The visual voicemail is an issue though, apparently O2 basically promised a 'best effort' to get it working when they got the contract and then never did anything much at all. It's a sore point but not many customers have been kicking up a fuss direct to apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭keith_d99

In today's economic climate - that new tarriff is p*ss poor in fairness

So many people are on different networks these days - I couldn't even tell you what network my friends are on! That must be O2's plan in making even more money!

I would love to see how O2 would do without the iPhone. We may find out eventually (not soon though I imagine).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

keith_d99 wrote: »
    In today's economic climate - that new tarriff is p*ss poor in fairness

So many people are on different networks these days - I couldn't even tell you what network my friends are on! That must be O2's plan in making even more money!

I would love to see how O2 would do without the iPhone. We may find out eventually (not soon though I imagine).

when you ring a number not on the same network as your phone you hear a single beep prior to the ringing sound. Its a feint beep and you have to listen out but all networks are the same in this regard.

If there was a voice message everytime you made a call saying this is an off network call or somethign could you imagine how many people would complain then. Anyway this is off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

seamus wrote: »
    There's an announcement on the forums saying that the shop is down because some updates last night failed and they've had to roll it back. It was probably these new tarriffs.

That must be why I can't get into the my account stuff either :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I think this is O2s attempt to clear out the iPhones for Junes release. It really is a terrible deal though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,973 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Is there an iPhone 3 coming in July? and if so, is it likely to be made available to current 3G customers as an upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭CivilEx

It looks very likely that there is to be new hardware to go with the 3.0 in The Summer with AT&T clearing out their stock of the 3G in the US at the moment. If the last time around is anything to go by, new customers will get first call on the new iPhone, so current 2G owners are in a good position there. Current 3G owners will still most likely be in Contract and may have to wait for an upgrade.

From what I remember of it the last time, because stock was so low of new phones, it was nigh on impossible to buy a new iPhone for 2 - 3 months after release

Back on topic, the new tariffs announced by O2 don't represent any fresh thinking on their part and looks like more "accountant thinking" of trying to lock people into O2's own calls only. Pity really, they had generated a huge amount of hype over the announcement and it was a big let down

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

These new tarrifs have me confused! :confused:

Wait, what? The new plans will charge you for ringing other networks? wtf?

Advertisement