Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do **FOR FREE** in Dublin

Options
  • 18-03-2009 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Not sure if there is another thread like this, admittedly I didn't look, shame on me,

The recent changes in our economy have found me and the OH with
    (1) alot less spare cash on us and
    (2) an awful lot more time on our hands!!

While we try to look on the bright side that one of us at least still has a job, its hard going doing nothing all day everyday, and I've decided to start up a thread, so we can all work together to make a huge list of things to do for free, or for very little cash. Any kind of money saving tips/ideas for doing something social are all appreciated!!

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions maybe we could share them, and hopefully we can get new ideas for spending our time, and not be as bored as me and the OH have been over the past few weeks.

For example, one of the things we do is rent DVD's from the library instead of movie stores. Yes, they are older than the lasest releases.

Okay so here's hoping that this thread doesn't die a death and we all get some great ideas from it!!

Cheers
    peanuthead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

If the weather is good, a lot of Dublin is nice to walk around and explore. For people who just commute between the suburbs and the city centre or an industrial estate, you'd be surprised how little of the city you actually see. The GF and I went for a walk around Malahide yesterday to avoid the parade. We did the DB Ghost Bus tour recently (it's obviously not free) and discovered old graveyards and castle walls that I never knew existed.

Likewise, some parts of Dublin are nice to cycle around - I spent a lot of last summer cycling around Clontarf and Bull Island. Even though I've been living here for ten years, I'd never been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

A lot of museums aer free if your into that stuff. Also parks are good this time of year

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Go fishing! It's THE BOMB!
    Some rag or lug worm and to the wooden bridge on Dollyer or out to Greystones. Picnic too...don't be buying expensive lunches out.
    Mackeral season won't be too far off either so it's out to the pier in Dun L. for end of May.
    Hours whiled away, picnic, disposable Bar-b-q and bring a camera, book and a radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Well I spent most of today planting potatoes, onions etc. I find it a very nice way to pass the day. I live in a apartment in the city so no garden, I built raised beds on an unused piece of land.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Visit the Botanic Gardens, St. Annes Park, Farmleigh, or the Aras, all for free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Head out to Finglas/Tallaght and the like and do some Scumbag Taunting........"YORE ONLY A SCUMMMMMBAAAAG"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Go and see your local Soccer/GAA/Rubly team playing. Obviously you will pay to see League of Ireland Soccer games or County GAA games, but there are lots of local games you can see for free. Better still get involved with helping them out - they are always looking for volunteers.

Another vote for the local library too - use them for DVDs a good bit and there are often free talks, concerts on in them. You could join a library based book club if reading is your thing and if you get the books from the library obviously they are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dogdig

Try to visit the statue of Oscar Wilde in Dublin's Merrion Square (Archbishop Ryan Park) - and have a read of the obelisks with his quotations - you'll soon get a chance to entertain the foreign tourists explaining them!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Head out to Finglas/Tallaght and the like and do some Scumbag Taunting........"YORE ONLY A SCUMMMMMBAAAAG"!

Thats hilarious (really it is) but not what this forum is about I'm afraid!.

I mean enough of that, see you in a week (because Des got you before I did).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the phoenix park for the win

there is so much to do there.

farmleigh, rose garden, deers, cycling, horse riding, rollerblading, soccer, cricket, hurling and on and on and on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

peanuthead wrote: »
    Hi there

Not sure if there is another thread like this, admittedly I didn't look, shame on me,

The recent changes in our economy have found me and the OH with
    (1) alot less spare cash on us and
    (2) an awful lot more time on our hands!!

While we try to look on the bright side that one of us at least still has a job, its hard going doing nothing all day everyday, and I've decided to start up a thread, so we can all work together to make a huge list of things to do for free, or for very little cash. Any kind of money saving tips/ideas for doing something social are all appreciated!!

If anyone has any ideas, suggestions maybe we could share them, and hopefully we can get new ideas for spending our time, and not be as bored as me and the OH have been over the past few weeks.

For example, one of the things we do is rent DVD's from the library instead of movie stores. Yes, they are older than the lasest releases.

Okay so here's hoping that this thread doesn't die a death and we all get some great ideas from it!!

Cheers
    peanuthead

ever wonder why birthrates go up in a recession?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Visit the war memorial gardens along the banks of the Liffey. Way better than the Phoenix Park, and way less people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Quint wrote: »
    Visit the war memorial gardens along the banks of the Liffey. Way better than the Phoenix Park, and way less people.

Could you narrow it down a little? The Liffey is a long river ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

You could volunteer maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dogdig

markpb wrote: »

http://goireland.about.com/od/parksandgardens/qt/war_memorial.htm

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sworderer

There is a Dublin Event Guide for Free Events.

This is published every Thursday night and features events which are free and taking place in Dublin over the week, mainly featuring on the weekend events. The guide has been running for almost 2 years and has over 3500 recipients.

Here is the website and you can sign up for the weekly email of the event guide.

http://dublineventguide.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

markpb wrote: »

See above!
    I usually drive so go in, the south circular road entrance, plenty of parking in there. It's a small road on the right before a school as you come up from the Liffey. If you get to that big junction that goes over the railway and the Hilton Hotel you've gone too far

Not a lot to actually do in the War mem. garden. Saying that I'm a regular visitor as it's in my back garden.

Get a STUNT-KITE...IT'S the BOMB!!!. Not one of these gig new fancy-pants ones...just a double string 3 footer. About 15quid investment for month of fun. The War Mem. Garden's a good spot for flying but I prefer the schlep up to The Magazine in the park. Bring a picnic, a camera and a radio.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

humberklog wrote: »
    Go fishing! It's THE BOMB!
    humberklog wrote: »
    Get a STUNT-KITE...IT'S the BOMB!!!..

:D Good stuff Humberklog!
    However, dont both of those activites (which are indeed, as you so magnificently put it, the bomb) require a fair bit of monetary outlay to get gear worth using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Right, this could be a very good, resourceful thread, but if people don't cop the hell on with their comments, it will be locked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

If you have a digi camera (I know,can be expensive but if you already have one it's free)take up a serious hobby of documenting the city,in other words become an Artist:pac:
    Sit somewhere and people watch.
    Take a stroll in trinity.

Gaspode wrote: »
    :D Good stuff Humberklog!
    However, dont both of those activites (which are indeed, as you so magnificently put it, the bomb) require a fair bit of monetary outlay to get gear worth using?

Kite= 15 quid at most in TKMaxx.
    Fishing Gear= 20 quid all in at a car boot sale.
    Enjoyment: Priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

If you have yourself a digital camera take off around the streets of Dublin particularly older areas such as the Liberties and take photos of quintessential Dublin things such as pot hole covers, old chimneys, Victorian and Georgian terraces, doors, old shop fronts, sign posts, lamp posts and just the tumble down charm that is part of the old Dublin. Could be the start of a new hobby even. That is what I am going to do when I get back after 10 years because everything down here is relatively new in comparison to the dirty ol' town.

[Edit] Only just saw dubtom's post after I posted mine. Great minds eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

yeah its true, alot of museums are actually free. So far I have found these:

http://www.nationalgallery.ie/

http://www.museum.ie/en/homepage.aspx

http://www.hughlane.ie/visiting.php

Also, for going to places such as christchurch, dublin zoo or the national aquatic centre, please check your local libraries for discount coupons. They should be on a rack somewhere in the library. You don't have to be a member to take them either.

EDIT: Another thing me and the OH do for a relly cheap but relaxing afternoon is go to Borders bookstores in Blanchardstown, take all the mags and books we want and bring them up to the Starbucks upstairs(You're allowed!!) Then we can read up on all our soaps, celeb gossip, cars, whatever all for the price of a cup of tea. We can read away without having to buy the mags, and you don't have to feel bad about doing it because its allowed. I even asked because it just seemed so stingy, but they really don't mind.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/announcement.php?f=82

something else to do for free and support boards at the same time

also boardeux play on a tuesday night, you could go and see them

the boards cycling team also do cycles on saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

walk the route from dollymount to sutton along the walk/cycle track, lovely on a summers evening. in fact its a great walk at any time

also boardeux play on a tuesday night, you could go and see them

where does this happen, and forgive my ignorance, but who are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

peanuthead wrote: »
    where does this happen, and forgive my ignorance, but who are they?

The Boards Football team

We win medals, don't you know

Des wrote: »
    The Boards Football team

We win medals, don't you know

I didnt know, but now i do. thanks

• Advertisement

Is the giants causeway free to visit?

Advertisement