Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade to Nokia 5800

• 18-03-2009 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so my last upgrade was June 2007, I'm obviously not spending enough because anytime I asked Vodafone when I'm due an upgrade they say they dont know. I'm on a 6300 and it sucks and really want a 5800 - does anyone know of anyway to work this without going out and paying €300plus?

I could wait however long is left or I could go out and buy one and find out I'm due an upgrade next week.

Ideas/sugestions?

Btw I love nokia phones but what else would people recommend along the lines of the 5800? The video res is one of the selling points for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

Eh not sure if they closed this avenue off but it worked for me 2 years ago.

Ring their customer care and tell them you want to switch to Pay as You Go, and keep your existing number. Takes about 2 days if I remember correctly as you have to sign a form and send it in.

Then once thats done, just go into any voda or carphone warehouse shop and tell them you're a PAYG customer who wishes to upgrade to bill pay. You then get the 5800 at the "new customer" price.

You do need to be out of contract though or they'll charge you a termination fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

The N95 / N95 8GB / N82 all have the same video quality as the 5800. The N82 has a better flash for photos.
    You can get some change from 200 euro if you buy from the Uk on eBay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Cheers lads. I might think about the N95 alright though the touchscreen of the 5800 is appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

6th wrote: »
    Cheers lads. I might think about the N95 alright though the touchscreen of the 5800 is appealing.

IMO, the 5800 is a wannabe iPhone, not that I like iPhone at all, but from what i've heard it's mixed and varied reviews of the 5800.

Good luck with it, but tread carefully.

Also, as Patrickof said, might be worth switching onto PAYG Vodafone and then "change your mind" and switch back a few days later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I was just told by vodafone that they are changing their upgrade process in April so to hand on for a couple of weeks - I should be due something then. She says every customer will have an actual date issued for when they are due upgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I just bought the nokia 5800, and although i still have to get it unlocked:mad:, it is a very impressive piece of kit. I had my worries reading some of the reviews online, and it being my first touch screen device, but it is really fantastic, great responsiveness from the screen, Great Vibrant colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

6th wrote: »
    I was just told by vodafone that they are changing their upgrade process in April so to hand on for a couple of weeks - I should be due something then. She says every customer will have an actual date issued for when they are due upgrades.

All I will say is that the incentives are much better for a new cutomer rather than an upgrading customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement