Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flooded Patio

Options
  • 18-03-2009 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

I put in a patio about a year ago, and unfortunately its flooded all year, I screwed up with the levels etc so water just accumulates at the middle of one end, where the shed is...!

Now that we have some fine weather I was thinking of trying to save it, and I'm looking for some suggestions.

I am using mid-sized garden paving slabs, they are set in a loose concrete/sand mix. I was going to lift a section of these and put a sump in and then connect it to the drain, im not sure if I could break in, but I dont think it would be a problem if I had the correct tools.

The other option would be to take up the central slabs, dig down as far as possible (2 - 3 foot) and fill with gravel to create a French drain, I'm not sure if that will solve the problem though..

I'll get some pics up later to see what you guys think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

The best thing to do would be the dig up a section, get the levels right and relay the slabs.

As this may be difficult and result in breaking a number of slabs, then you could try connecting a new drain / gully to the flooded area.

Digging a soak pit would be alot of work with no guarentee that it would work. It would be as easy to dig up the slabs as dig 2 - 3 foot hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

This is the patio, I suppose the easiest thing would be to relay the slabs, any ideas how to get them out of the concrete without breaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

why not start from the edge.

use a spade or big nail bar to pry them up.

dig out all that concreate.

put the sand in and screed it of to a higher level .

leave it perfect like a snooker table by using a couple of good straight edges

reset your slabs in to

days work with sand for drainage and the higher setting should take care of the fall.

i did this to my little yard 3 years ago

I dug down 10 inchs

put a 4 inch layer of 804

wacked it.

and used sand to screed.

I wish I had researched screeding better .

I did it with a trowel and a short 6' straight edge.

It was the wrong way and some of my levels suffered.

But because of the 804 below. Any water drains right through. Even in flood rain.

DSC00486__Medium_.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Thanks lads, looks like this weekend might be the best time to get it done. weather permitting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

When i did mine I got all sorts of do`s and dont`s and after a while I got fed up with everyone. I had a fair idea how to do it and just was looking for some top up advice, anyway here`s what i did, there`s never been any puddles or any weeds growing here.
    Its about 2 yrs old, as long as your level is runnin away from your gaff and if its not gonna be taking any heavy traffic you`d be supprised what you can acheive. I have a TINY bit of moss and 1 r 2 little yolks that barely came up in the cracks, mine are put straight down on the coarse sand and they all held each other in place, cause i got 2 dogs i power hose tha **** outa it and i have nothing in the joints so i can clean them out and not worry about puddles, it aint a pro job but its lasted this long and it DOES the job, did it all on me own, heres a few pics, took me about 2 wks

lewis wrote: »
    When i did mine I got all sorts of do`s and dont`s and after a while I got fed up with everyone. I had a fair idea how to do it and just was looking for some top up advice, anyway here`s what i did, there`s never been any puddles or any weeds growing here.
    Its about 2 yrs old, as long as your level is runnin away from your gaff and if its not gonna be taking any heavy traffic you`d be supprised what you can acheive. I have a TINY bit of moss and 1 r 2 little yolks that barely came up in the cracks, mine are put straight down on the coarse sand and they all held each other in place, cause i got 2 dogs i power hose tha **** outa it and i have nothing in the joints so i can clean them out and not worry about puddles, it aint a pro job but its lasted this long and it DOES the job, did it all on me own, heres a few pics, took me about 2 wks

that looks fantastic lewis. well done.

Does it flood the garden at the end during winter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

gsxr1 wrote: »
    that looks fantastic lewis. well done.

Does it flood the garden at the end during winter?

HELL NO! We`ve had some pretty heavy rain over the winter and I only had a little bit of a puddle, but that`s the only time, normal rainy day no puddles and the water does`nt get a chance to get near the garden there`s nothing in the joints so plenty of dranage. :)

Advertisement