Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpack for running

Options
  • 18-03-2009 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭

Does anybody have a recommendation for a backpack for use while running? The backpack would need to be waterproof, lightweight and have ample storage (for spare gear ).Looking for a bag to do me for GaelForceWest this year

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Good selection here, where I recently bought from on recommendation from others on this forum.

I have the Innov8 20L, but it's a different version than the one shown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Peckham wrote: »
    Good selection here, where I recently bought from on recommendation from others on this forum.

I have the Innov8 20L, but it's a different version than the one shown

Would they be handy for running in and out to work (ie able to hold just a small bit of stuff, yet not bounce around/rub too much) or are they only for carrying large amounts?

Thanks.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I have a small north face (dogfish) and a small bergaus bag (bladdered), both are pretty good size for a bladder and have room for a top/hat/gloves/phone/map/compass/whistle and some food as well (packed pretty tightly). You can also strap a helmet to the northface and the bladdered has a pull out helmet net. The northface came with a bladder, you need to buy your own for the berghaus. I've only ever used the northface in anger and it is pretty good.

Unless you really need to carry a fair bit of stuff I'd go for one of these type as they are nice and compact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

I also have a berghaus bladdered that I used a few times for running to/from work and packed it quite a bit with clothes, swimming suit what not. once you find how it suits you best with the straps, then it will be very stable and not move up and down (or sideways) on your back. I also have a beautiful new balance back pack, but unfortunately doesn't do the job.. the berghaus is very reasonably priced, too, you get one from the uk from around £20.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

underarmour bag,fully padded on the back.alos has straps on the front to hold the bag in place so its not bouncing around.also has a life time warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭daheff

thanks for all the suggestions folks.

like the look of the http://www.likeys.com/acatalog/info_5.html from Peckhams thread.

It's a good pack alright. Maybe it's a bit big for a single day event though? 3 of us here are using it to carry ALL our stuff for an 8 day trip next week.

It's a good pack alright. Maybe it's a bit big for a single day event though? 3 of us here are using it to carry ALL our stuff for an 8 day trip next week.

I find that most people (particularly wimmin) overpack for a 8 day trip. All you'll need next week is a toothbrush, a beach towel, a few swim suits, shorts and t-shirts for going out, maybe 1 little black number for one big night out, a bit of makeup/perfume for going out and a pair of flip flops for the days, sandals for night. Anything else you can get there, will give you something to do on the days the weather's not too great. Suntan lotion, aftersun etc. might be cheaper there or in the Duty Free.

I find that most people (particularly wimmin) overpack for a 8 day trip. All you'll need next week is a toothbrush, a beach towel, a few swim suits, shorts and t-shirts for going out, maybe 1 little black number for one big night out, a bit of makeup/perfume for going out and a pair of flip flops for the days, sandals for night. Anything else you can get there, will give you something to do on the days the weather's not too great. Suntan lotion, aftersun etc. might be cheaper there or in the Duty Free.
    lol, I'm currently down to 11 kgs & water.... Wondering if I really need the world's lightest comb and just how freeze dried food would taste made with bottled water to save carrying the "stove" Also working out the baby wipe rations. Zuppylurk reckons we can get away with 4 per day (2xpoo wipes, 2 for washing), I was thinking about 10 a day as a minimum.

• Advertisement

lol, I'm currently down to 11 kgs & water.... Wondering if I really need the world's lightest comb and just how freeze dried food would taste made with bottled water to save carrying the "stove" Also working out the baby wipe rations. Zuppylurk reckons we can get away with 4 per day (2xpoo wipes, 2 for washing), I was thinking about 10 a day as a minimum.

My friend who did it 2 years ago threw out his stove at the start line. He agonised about if for weeks and at the very last minute decided he'd rather not carry the extra weight so dumped it. Didn't regret it either.

Ok..so just how much gear would you fit in a 30L bag?

Looking at:

Clothes change, lightweight towel, spare runners/ cycle shoes, food packs/water, headlamp ..etc

or would i need a smaller bag? Just got back from outdoor shop and saw some 20L bags that look v small for all that gear

daheff wrote: »
    Ok..so just how much gear would you fit in a 30L bag?
    roughly the following :-)
    clothing

top railriders adventure top
    shorts riadlight
    socks toe socks
    socks aidias socks
    trainers Nike vomero
    gaitors silk ones
    buff pirate buff
    sunnies oakley m-frames
    hat columbia desert hat
    compression tights linebreak
    silk top marmot
    flipflops cheap disposable ones from spa

sleping

sleeping bag marmot atom
    sleeping mat thermorest
    liner homemade from parachute fabric carrying

rucksack raidlight 30 l
    front pack raidlight
    water bottles might not take
    WB holder might not take

first aid

body glide 13 g pack
    wet wipes to be decided
    sun screen P20
    sun block lip balm sun block, tesco
    compeed & blue things
    vaseline 100g tub
    alcohol wipes x20
    alcohol gel x50g
    zinc oxide tape big roll
    anti-biotics Ciprofloxacin
    anti-biotics Erythromycin

drugs

OCP marviol
    anti-nausea stematol
    anti-diahorrea immodium
    iodine betadine gel
    ibuprufen 200mg
    paracetemol 200mg
    multivit usual mix

compulsary kit

signaling mirror amry surplus grande parade
    swhistle integrated in backpack
    survival blankey leftover from race
    head torch might replace current one
    spare batteries AAA
    safety pins from race box
    knife to be decided
    compass Silva
    lighter cheap tesco jobbie
    topical disinfectant
    distress flare

salt tablets

anti venom pump

passport

luxuries

toothbrush

toothpaste

camera

mp3 player sansa
    cooking pot

solar charger

garmin 305

garmin charger

money

epoxy glue

soapy sponge darabound
    comb & hair clips

other

duct tape roll from home
    stove

fuel

zip lock bags

spork

spare contact lenses
    Irish Flag Niall's

food meal foodstuff general nuun

recovery powder

peanut m&m's

banana chips
    day 1 breakfast 150g porridge with milk powder
    running snacks peparami

banana chips
    after run rego
    dinner expedition foods freeze dried meal
    dessert peanut butter M&Ms day2 breakfast 150g porridge with milk powder
    running snacks peparami

jelly babies
    after run rego
    dessert clif bar day3 breakfast 150g porridge with milk powder
    running snacks peparami

gel
    after run rego
    dessert expedition foods freeze dried meal day 4 breakfast 150g porridge with milk powder
    running snacks peparami

banana chips

peanuts

mule bar day 5 after run rego
    dessert mule bar day 6 breakfast 150g porridge with milk powder
    lunch expedition foods freeze dried meal
    dessert peanut butter M&M's day 7 breakfast 150g porridge with milk powder

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

nice list, how are the raidlight shorts? I have a couple of pairs of salomon shorts with built in tights which I've been impressed with, kind of a combined baggy short tight. Are they similar?

Personally the baby wipes are the last thing I'd skimp on, keeping everything super clean will help avoid any rashes which is the last thing you want. You also never know for sure how your body is going to cope you may be taking bathroom breaks more often than you expect?

Interesting choice on the Nuuns, good for carrying, are they replacing dioralyte?
    How do you find they compare? Are you going to dose all your water with them or just some?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Holy Moly my local shop doesn't cover that much stock!

copacetic wrote: »
    nice list, how are the raidlight shorts? I have a couple of pairs of salomon shorts with built in tights which I've been impressed with, kind of a combined baggy short tight. Are they similar?

Personally the baby wipes are the last thing I'd skimp on, keeping everything super clean will help avoid any rashes which is the last thing you want. You also never know for sure how your body is going to cope you may be taking bathroom breaks more often than you expect?

Interesting choice on the Nuuns, good for carrying, are they replacing dioralyte?
    How do you find they compare? Are you going to dose all your water with them or just some?

Nuuns are good for carrying and I tolerate them well. Diorlyte is actually sickly on the 6th one! Will dose about half my water with them. The MdS people send out guidelines on how much salt people need.

I like the raidlight shorts. They are these ones
    http://www.likeys.com/acatalog/info_1888.html
    Horrid design but uber functional and comfy but more like a pimped out lycra short, very thin chamoix layer with anti bacterial stuff, specially designed waist so that the strap on a rucksack doesn't rub, etc.

There are a few other things that I will take out for the admin day, where we register and hang around in the desert before the first day running. Anything that doesn't seem important when I get out there will be ditched.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

What's the epoxy for, if you don't mind me asking?

running repairs to gaiters as they wear. Wouldn't have thought of it myself but some of the veterans have said it could be a lifesaver.

Hunnymonster...you arent seriously packing all that gear into a 30l bag!!!

I bought this bag http://www.regatta.com/product-detail.asp?ref=655 in the end. Just about fits all my stuff....need to cut back on my stuff!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Can anyone recommend a shop where I can actually see/try on some of the above mentioned backpacks?

I got my pack out in 55 degrees North in Blanchardstown centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

To anyone who has just purchased one: what size would you need to fit a bulky canon 400d and a couple of lenses one being a zoom lense, a lunchbox, pair of socks and a couple of drinks and a book and a very small towel.
    Would I get all this inot the Innov8 20L that peckham recommends

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Can't speak for the camera/lenses, but the rest of the stuff would fit comfortably. I'd expect the camera would fit also.

The only thing I would say is that the bag is made of lightweight material with no padding, so if you have a lot of hard bulky things in it, it would be uncomfortable on the back. You'd need to wrap all this in a towel or something like that.

Remind me to bring along the bag next time I see you and you can take a look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

OP why would you need a bag for Gael force? planning on doing it ( will be 1st time) but just have a belt that can hold bottle and gels etc. am i missing something

Seanie...it'll be about 5+ hours of running /biking /paddling.

you'll need a change of clothes/runners coz if your boat overturns you'll obviously be soaked and cant really run on with wet gear (well you can but you'll regret it!! :D

also need to bring food/water with you...somewhere to put the map/compass..gear they make you pack (http://www.gaelforcewest.ie/racer-info/kit-lists )..its a long day (well will be at my pace)

Advertisement