Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St. Patricks Day/Athlone Town

Options
  • 18-03-2009 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Anyone around town AFTER the parade? I was with friends in the Shack, and we headed to Seans after the parade had finished.. maybe around 5/5.30pm.. and I've never seen a place so littered with rubbish in my life!

The town provide a good few bins.. so was it just because it was Paddys Day that people thought it ok to litter? I was truly gobsmacked.. there was litter like drinks cans/bottles, sweet wrappers, food wrappers, flyers, papers and allsorts covering a large area of the town.

After I dropped my friends at Seans, I pulled up near the Garda Station on Pearse St. to make a phone call and the Council's Roadsweeper and 3 staff were coming along cleaning up.

I think it was an absolute disgrace, and I felt really sorry for those guys having to clean up after people who think discarding their litter on the street is ok!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Can't blame me, I spent the day in bed. Well, most of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Eireann

Onikage wrote: »
    Can't blame me, I spent the day in bed. Well, most of it.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭CGorman

I was in at the mullingar one... and the litter after was crazy... people think that they have a god-given-right to throw stuff on the ground just because they are in a crowd... makes my blood boil... like there was loads of bins and no excuses... but to be honest its not just a paddys day thing or an athlone or mullingar thing - loads of people in this country have no morals or respect for themselves...

Is'nt it ironic that paddys day is ment to be about pride of ones origins... yet the people who throw rubbish at the parade are displaying absolutely no pride in their own town!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

if the bins werent already overflowing it would of helped!!! they should put extra bins along the street.
    only for that roadsweeper the town would be a disgrace altogether. not just on paddys day but any weekend night, it looks like a chipper exploded sometimes!!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Eireann

If the bins were full, that makes it ok to throw the stuff on the ground? I don't agree. Personally I would carry it until I could dispose of it.

As for the weekends, I've honestly never seen it as bad. Never, and I drive through the towns after the pubs/clubs have closed, and its never as bad as this was Tuesday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

yeah ut your always gonna get the lazy fecker who couldnt be arsed!! :mad:
    in fairness to the council the roadsweeper was out before the parade was even over an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

only seeing this thread now. Nothing new there, walk around the town any day of the week, and you'll see the amount of litter floating around, even with bins close by.

I have never seen a litter warden around the town, and even if there was I'd be interested to see how they handle people that drop the litter. It's easy to say it's the scummy element doing it, but I see plenty of kids and adults that are considered "respectable" or from respectable families doing it, peoples behaviour in general seems to have gone down the crapper. Ah well, slaps all round! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Ah, I dunno bout that. It was pretty manky 20 years ago and there was a lot less people around!

Advertisement