Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours dog driving me crazy

Options
  • 18-03-2009 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭

I Bought a house moved in about a month ago now in the the park is 1st Gen 2nd gen etc people living in the house so i am the only " new person as such" anyway the house across the way have a dog fairly old dog but at About 7Am EVERY Morning they leave the dog out and the Dog barks at the Air, just to leave everyone know that he is up and outside, Its Seriously effecting me sleepwise + work now i dont want to get on the bad side of neighbours by complaining but is there any proven device that leaves out a sound that stop dogs from barking etc?any advice would be greatful

thanks

DAn

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Can sympatise with ya OP as were I used to live in Dublin there was several dogs left unattended during the day and at night they increased in numbers ,trying to outdo each other in the chorus . I often wonder how we put up with it .Not sure what it's like now as I dont live there anymore ( some family still does) but nothing more annoying .

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sean.carolan100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 dolly13

Not funnt - totally cruel - You would find yourself in serious trouble with the ISPCA there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

How is it cruel? Does it hurt them?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭valpuk

That device is not cruel it acts as an aid to help stop unacceptable behaviour from your pet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

dolly13 wrote: »
    Not funnt - totally cruel - You would find yourself in serious trouble with the ISPCA there.

Thats not cruel.

As a responsible owner who didnt want to drive the neighbours mad I used a similar one myself with my own dogs when I moved into the new house.

New house-new surroundings--they were barking at nothing,even driving me mad and this was when we were sitting out the back garden with them.

After 2-3 days of using this thing they stopped.And then I turned it off and they havent acted up since.
    Its no more cruel than a dog whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I Bought a house moved in about a month ago now in the the park is 1st Gen 2nd gen etc people living in the house so i am the only " new person as such" anyway the house across the way have a dog fairly old dog but at About 7Am EVERY Morning they leave the dog out and the Dog barks at the Air, just to leave everyone know that he is up and outside, Its Seriously effecting me sleepwise + work now i dont want to get on the bad side of neighbours by complaining but is there any proven device that leaves out a sound that stop dogs from barking etc?any advice would be greatful

thanks

DAn

Bark stop

Free in adverts....

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=102018&cat=42

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 dolly13

Oh dear think I've probably hit a sore spot here :( it hurts their ears if you have a look at any reputable dog trainers website it will give you more details. e.g www.dogtrainingireland.ie Genuinely, the ISPCA would take it quite seriously. I'm not doubting that they work, If there was a high pitched noise everytime you cursed, or spoke too loudly it would stop you too.

Personally, I don't agree with them but If you choose to use them with your own dogs then thats your choice - Would have a huge issue with my neighbours getting one of these devices to stop my dogs from barking though and I would report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

OP, punctuation would make that post so much easier on the brain.
    Sorry...

Anywho...
    If it continues to be an issue, and is affecting you like you said, then there is nothing wrong with mentioning it to the owner.

Just be careful on your wording and there shouldn't be any problem.

The device suggested by others here is a great device, not cruel in my opinion, as it is a teaching aid for the pet.

BUT why should you have to purchase it?.. It should be the owner who has to do it... maybe even suggest it to them if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Get the dog and put him in your garden - see how they feel.

I'll get my coat...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hellrazer wrote: »
    As a responsible owner who didnt want to drive the neighbours mad I used a similar one myself with my own dogs when I moved into the new house.
    I would consider getting one, my boy doesn't bark much, but he's never ever out on his own so I can correct the bark as soon as it starts (he has a very deep bark for a pup and it would be annoying for neighbours to listen to) and with the good weather I was thinking of leaving him for an hour or so, he loves pottering around the garden. I didn't want to do that for fear of him being noisey.

Not to mention, we can't walk out the back garden without the dog next door trying to tear the fence down and barking as loud as she.
    Oh dear think I've probably hit a sore spot here :( .
    I don't think so, why do you think that?

Genuinely, the ISPCA would take it quite seriously........ and I would report them.
    have you ever actually dealt with any spca here? Have a look for threads on the forum if not. In my personal experience they take nothing seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭granturismo

I think you have 3 options;

1. Talk to the dog owner

2. Buy a sonic bark controller. They are not banned in Ireland so I cant see why the ISPCA would have a problem, I'm sure they have more serious matters to deal with. I've used one on a neighbours dog and it worked. We had dogs at a previous address and bought one after complaints from a neighbour re ours barking - after a few says another neighbour complained that the sonicator made them worse.

3. Ring your local authority dog warden - the dog is not under control.

Advertisement