Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall Planter - What should I plant in them

Options
  • 18-03-2009 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭

I invested last winter in 2 matching outdoor planters that are approximately 3 foot in height. I've been looking around trying to get an idea as to what to plant in them but can't find much in teh way of example. I'd love some colour but at the same time am not opposed to an evergreen type shrub.

Ideas, suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭denisor

My 2 cents only, for an ever green you could try a tree fern? Dicksonia Antartica.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

donnacha wrote: »
    I invested last winter in 2 matching outdoor planters that are approximately 3 foot in height. I've been looking around trying to get an idea as to what to plant in them but can't find much in teh way of example. I'd love some colour but at the same time am not opposed to an evergreen type shrub.

Ideas, suggestions?

Before giving any recs, it would be useful to know the general shape of the planters (ie if they are uniform width and broad at base or if they taper towards base, the latter can be unsteady when planted with tall plants).

Also where are you planning to position the planters, sunny/shaded area, exposed or sheltered, this will also influence what choices are available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

They do taper towards the base a bit but are fairly solid outdoor planters. The plan was to place them by a wall which would mean they are shaded - the sun would only hit them after 3pm in the afternoon. My garden backs onto a field so it does get a good bit of a breeze.

Advertisement