Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affliction looking into going head-to-head with UFC 100?

Options
  • 18-03-2009 7:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/03/18/affliction-looking-into-going-head-to-head-with-ufc-100/
    Affliction looking into going head-to-head with UFC 100
    March 18, 2009 by Sam Caplan
    Leave a comment
    After counter-programming events promoted by Affliction and EliteXC over the course of the past year, the Ultimate Fighting Championship could be in store for a taste of its own medicine.

Sources have informed FiveOuncesOfPain.com that Affliction Entertainment is currently engaged in preliminary discussions regarding the possibility of promoting its third-ever event on Saturday, July 11. Such a booking would put the promotion in direct competition with the UFC’s historic UFC 100 pay-per-view event.

Several fighters and managers have contacted FiveOuncesOfPain.com in recent days informing the site that they have been approached by Affliction officials about the possibility of accepting restructured contracts in order to compete on the show.

According to the sources, Affliction wants to reduce it overhead for a potential third event so that it could host it on a network or basic cable television platform, as it would be next to impossible to convince PPV distributors to promote an event that would be in direct competition with the UFC.

Sources made it a point to caution Five Ounces of Pain that the possibility of Affliction counter-programming UFC 100 was still only in preliminary stages. Additionally, several insiders we spoke with expressed pessimism about Affliction being able to pull off the July 11 date.

However, meetings are expected to take place within the next several weeks regarding a possible television partner for the proposed event. If enough fighters were willing to accept a reduced rate to compete on the show and if a deal with a suitable television partner could be reached, the door would then be open for Affliction to go head-to-head with UFC 100.

One source also indicated to us that the possible July event for Affliction could be the company’s last MMA show, with the popular lifestyle clothing label looking to “go out with a bang” by going up against UFC 100.

When contacted by FiveOuncesOfPain.com for comment, Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio said he could neither confirm or deny our report.

Who knew suicide was allowed on PPV?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

same reply as the last thread i posted in

copy / paste -> epic Epic fail :D

"suicide" is right on the button

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

calex71 wrote: »
    same reply as the last thread i posted in

copy / paste -> epic Epic fail :D

"suicide" is right on the button

Not my night, I blame Paddy's day for messing with my bull**** detector.

Whether this Affliction thing is true or not.

Mayweather may be fight on the same date as UFC 100:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3994843&type=story

Who is going to back down first?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I read Dave Meltzer saying that if it's on a major tv station then it could do some damage to the UFC. But if it's on any other network then it would mean absolutely nothing. I'd agree, and seeing as the one major station that has shown MMA, CBS, already has a deal with Strikeforce, I don't like Affliction's chances

I have a feeling that the UFC may see competing against Mayweather as a challenge. If they managed blowaway numbers they'd really have a feather in their cap. Plus, it's still debatable whether or not Mayweather himself is a PPV draw. Depending on the opponent, I could easily see the UFC running on the same night as him

Although I'm not so sure that he will be boxing that soon

Dana responds:
    “How do I feel about them trying to counter-program UFC 100?,” White began his statement, before continuing, “I love it. I ****ing love it. I love it. I don’t like these guys and I want to see them spend more of their t-shirt money. What they should be worrying about is — they’ve already seen first hand that nobody gives a **** about Affliction MMA — what they need to starting worrying about is nobody wants to wear their goofy ****ing clothes anymore either. The fad is over and they better start saving as much of that t-shirt money as they can.”

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/03/22/dana-white-responds-to-reports-of-afflictions-plans-to-counter-promote-ufc-100/

• Advertisement
Advertisement