Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog breeds

Options
  • 18-03-2009 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

hi were getting a dog soon but we want to make sure its the right dog for us
    we need a dog that does not need a GREAT deal of exersice and has a quiet docile,calm temperment it also needs to be good with orther animals for we have a cat, 2 lizards and our neighbours have an old deaf dog
    we live in the contry so we have lots of land around us that the dog can go in our garden in NOT complitally secure there are no livestock or poultry, size is not a major issue but we dont want a HUGE dog

thanks in advance:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 twinkie

What about a british bulldog? They are calm, docile and good with other animals. I have 2 and they don't require too much exercise. A 15 min walk and playtime in the garden seems to tire them out. I think they are best suited as indoor dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

twinkie wrote: »
    What about a british bulldog? They are calm, docile and good with other animals. I have 2 and they don't require too much exercise. A 15 min walk and playtime in the garden seems to tire them out. I think they are best suited as indoor dogs.

Consider paying well in excess of €1000 for one though, i hear they commonly suffer from respiratory problems aswell...

Would you consider something like a Westhighland Terrier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

Would you consider a rescue? If you get an older dog (over 4 years old- still lots of years to go!!!) you find they dont need much exercise and are so grateful and loving for a warm place to sleep, food and a little attention. The dog will love you forever, will be devoted to your family and you will feel great for offering an older chap a chance for good life. The shelters are good for pairing owners and dogs and they will find a dog you require. It is like giving a second chance to two dogs- the one you will take home with you and the one that will take his place at the shelter! I have two rescues myself and would defo recommend getting one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

woofie87 wrote: »
    Would you consider a rescue? If you get an older dog (over 4 years old- still lots of years to go!!!) you find they dont need much exercise and are so grateful and loving for a warm place to sleep, food and a little attention. The dog will love you forever, will be devoted to your family and you will feel great for offering an older chap a chance for good life. The shelters are good for pairing owners and dogs and they will find a dog you require. It is like giving a second chance to two dogs- the one you will take home with you and the one that will take his place at the shelter! I have two rescues myself and would defo recommend getting one!
    i have had a number of english[british ]bulldogs never had a breathing problem ,lovely dogs but you cannot leave them alone because they would soon be stolen-staffys are the best of dogs if you get one as a pup ,you could not go far wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

woofie87 wrote: »

I know dogsindistress will cat test dogs so you will know for sure if the dog is good with cats. www.dogsindistress.org

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

If your land isn't secure most rescue places (and dare I say responsible breeders) won't let you take a dog.

I used to volunteer at a rescue place and we always made sure the adopters had proper fencing and a gate that closed before we'd let a dog go anywhere. Another crowd locally who were rehoming dogs would hand a dog over regardless, one small dog was brought back to them at least 3 times because it kept escaping from whomever had adopted it, would be found as a stray and brought to the dog rescue place.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

Our Golden Retriever is the laziest dog on the planet and impeccibly behaved. 20 minute walk is plenty for her and shes as sweet as can be, she must sleep 18 hours a day though i sometimes worry shes not breathing!! try here for all the breeds info and happy dog hunting. the shelter dog recommendation is a good one.

http://www.irishdogs.ie/Breeds/All%20Breeds.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

The DSPCA also 'cat test' their dogs which gives added reassurance.

I know OP mentioned that they didn't want a huge dog but I have to give lurchers a mention in the amazing dog type category!
    I adopted my 3yr old in Dec and he is an ideal pet. So much so, I'm adopting a lurcher pup and she's due to be collected next week :D

In my experience, my lurcher is the most relaxed, docile, gentle dog I have ever met. He actually manages to out-laze my 4 very lazy cats a lot of the time! From what I've read online, this is part and parcel of the lurcher temperment in general so while they are big dogs, they're so laid back they don't act their size if that makes sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Rush@)=(~

were not buying a dog were adopting/rescuing a dog and were getting a older dog 4yrs+ we were considering a german shepherd the only problem is there ment to get health problems quite easily apparentaly and my mum dosent want a bulldog,terrier,rotwiller or collie (dont know why)
    if u know of some shelters/pounds near kilkenny that would be nice(we already know bout inostige and the carlow/kilkenny shelter)
    we do not want to go as far as dublin or anything like that

thanks in advance:pac:

german shepherds are amazing dogs and on my list of dogs i want to own. there are lots of dogs in Cork if you were willing to travel that far.

www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie, animal care society, west cork animals etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There's also wexford pet helpers, just give it time the right dog will come along there are dogs coming in every day to rescues so there's bound to be the right one for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Rush@)=(~

after all that we got a dog today we went down to the inostige place and fell in love with a dog called patch he quite big but not huge hes akita cross with a bit of collie(even tough we didn't want collie)hes needs to get used to our cat Gizmo but other than that hes a lovely calm docile dog and we love him
    patch.jpg:rolleyes:
    he was found in the moutains starving and as thin as a stick but hes okay now hes very quiet and obviously use to traveling in a car he didn't make sound on the way home
    anyway thanks 4 posting:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭misssaucie

Hi there, we have a 4 month old Shih Tzu and he is amazing. I would highly recommend that breed. They don't shed hair, they are loving, playful and just sooo cute. I walk him once a day and we slowly built it up that he can now walk 2 miles and then he sleeps his cute little head off. I was never much of a dog lover before we got him it was more my partner and now I'm hooked! Good luck

Rush@)=(~ wrote: »
    after all that we got a dog today we went down to the inostige place and fell in love with a dog called patch he quite big but not huge hes akita cross with a bit of collie(even tough we didn't want collie)hes needs to get used to our cat Gizmo but other than that hes a lovely calm docile dog and we love him
    patch.jpg:rolleyes:
    he was found in the moutains starving and as thin as a stick but hes okay now hes very quiet and obviously use to traveling in a car he didn't make sound on the way home
    anyway thanks 4 posting:p

awe brilliant well done i wish ye the best of luck he looks lovely and i bet he'll make a great companion

Advertisement