Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O2/Vodafone/3 USB Broadband cards

• 18-03-2009 7:56pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem. When I'm downloading files, I'm starting to notice the amount that the card says I've downloaded is never anything close to what I'm actually downloading. For example, I might download some 100MB files, say 8 of them for example, but the card will tell me I've download 1.5GB or more. Anyone know why this is happening?

I've tried all the obvious things, like making sure I've other programs working that might be using bandwidth, my firewall is up and excluding pretty much everything apart from basic internet access, there are no viruses/trojans etc on the system (AV is up to date and always running).

Am I missing something obvious? Is this a deliberate attempt by the broadband supplier to prevent anyone using their service for anything other than reading emails and booking flights on ryanair? :)

Regards,
    RD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You say "some 100MB files" - it only takes 15 of them to make up 1.5GB and this excludes your "reading emails and booking flights on ryanair".

You are aware 1024MB = 1GB, yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

It's only minor, but when you are downloading you often have to re-download packets and upload quite a bit too.

However, I know nothing about these wireless cards. Maybe someone who knows what tech is behind these wireless cards can say for sure how lossy they can get.

Although 800mb to 1.5gigs seems a bit extreme. As random said, doing anything else will add to your download total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They can be as lossy as that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

Hi all - thanks for the feedback. So it's just packet loss causing the problem - I guess I'll just have to live with it so :)

PS: Random - if you re-read my OP you'll see I said 8x100MB files but being told I downloaded 1.5GB or more. I'm well aware that 15X100MB gives approx 1.5GB but thanks for the maths tutorial ;)

Thanks again all

RD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Hi all - thanks for the feedback. So it's just packet loss causing the problem - I guess I'll just have to live with it so :)

PS: Random - if you re-read my OP you'll see I said 8x100MB files but being told I downloaded 1.5GB or more. I'm well aware that 15X100MB gives approx 1.5GB but thanks for the maths tutorial ;)

Thanks again all

RD
    Fair enough ... 8x100MB -v- some 100MB files, my post remains valid .. math lecture aside :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement