Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pond ering

Options
  • 18-03-2009 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Questions for water gardeners, if you'd be so kind.

I've just (using the royal 'I' here; actually mostly kindly others) emptied my poisoned pond, washed it out and refilled it.

Now I've been offered newts. So I went off to look for some (a) oxygenating plants and (b) water starwort (in which newts like to lay their eggs.

Nothing but the perfect host, me.

Unfortunately, B&Q had only some water irises; Mackey's in Dalkey was gone totally, and Newlands Garden Centre (not my favourite anyway - I've had unwanted passengers arrive on plants from there) said they weren't getting outdoor pond plants for a couple of weeks more.

Where else can I try, preferably around south Dublin? I was in the car for around three hours today. I thought of Avoca, but don't want to go trekking out without some idea of where to go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

On the northside near Lusk/Ballyboughal, you could ask Pond Hobby. Only a few mins up on the M1 from Sandymount!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Thanks, will try them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

Gardenworks in malahide have a good selection of oxygenating plants - I have some in my pond.

http://www.gardenworks.ie/

I might get over that way. I get a bit frightened when I cross the Liffey though ;P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

luckat wrote: »
    I might get over that way. I get a bit frightened when I cross the Liffey though ;P
    LOL - just take the M50 Northbound all the way to the end - come off it and just keep going straight as far as the Malahide Road crossroads, and then turn left (Airport Hilton is on the corner). Couldn't be easier. Gardenworks is approx 2 miles down the Malahide Road - you'll see a sign for the turn on the right. Go over early Saturday morning (before 10am) and there'll be no traffic.

• Advertisement

Big Wave wrote: »
    LOL - just take the M50 Northbound all the way to the end - come off it and just keep going straight as far as the Malahide Road crossroads, and then turn left (Airport Hilton is on the corner). Couldn't be easier. Gardenworks is approx 2 miles down the Malahide Road - you'll see a sign for the turn on the right. Go over early Saturday morning (before 10am) and there'll be no traffic.

Might try it. *They* would be asleep (in their pyjamas) then.

Thanks, I got some water plants, not in Gardenworks, where they weren't particularly helpful, but in Kinsealy Garden Centre up the road.

Advertisement