Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to wire up 5 lgihts to 1 plug?

Options
  • 18-03-2009 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Today I wired up 5 light fixtures to 1 plug. Before I test them, I'm wondering if someone could advise if I have wired everything correctly.

I'm not using earth as the fixtures are plastic, so I just have 2 wires: blue and brown. Basically the wiring goes straight through as follows:

Plug=========L1===L2===L3===L4===L5

I have a feeling though that if you daisy chain lights like this it will mean that they receive half as much power as they require and will appear dim! Is this true? If so, how should I wire the lights? If not, great!
    Any thoughts welcomed,
    dela.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

So long as you have them wired in "Parallel" as your diagram would indicate, then you're fine. There is 240V across each bulb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

they're wired in parallel like you've shown.they won't appear dim.get a sparkie if you're unsure

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DeLaTroY

Well each bulb is 25w. I don't suppose thats much of a strain on the wire or anything?

Also, what's the difference (toddlers terms :) ) of parallel and in series? Surely mine are in series?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

no they're in parallel or have to be anyway.browns go together blues go together if you know what you're doing.you can get 110v stuff if its temporary work .

Also, if I want to add a switch on the plug cable as seen below, will that change the wiring in some way?

Plug====Switch=====L1===L2===L3===L4===L5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

DeLaTroY wrote: »
    Also, if I want to add a switch on the plug cable as seen below, will that change the wiring in some way?

Plug====Switch=====L1===L2===L3===L4===L5

Only the brown goes via the switch.Blue direct to lights

Ok great, thanks for your 'electric' responses. I'll let you know tomorrow if I'm up in hospital cos of your antics!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

yeah bring the 2 cables into the switch. one live into the top (C) and the other on the bottom(L1) and join the 2 neutrals in connectors. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭cossworxenergy

could also use an isolator switch if you wish. simple isolates both the live and the neutral. live in live out. neutral in neutral out.

Advertisement