Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite FF!!?

Options
  • 18-03-2009 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Whats your favourite final fantasy and why??:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Thanks to the scurge that is retr0gamer, i constantly keep reassessing this.

For years i said it was FF7, hands down, i spent YEARS playing this game, learning everything about it, getting excited about various spinoffs and even help set up a pretty big FF forum at one stage. But now everytime my thoughts float back to it i see retr0gamer's points. I still love 7 but if i was to be realistic i'd say 10 was the best one i've played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭tubedude

8 was definitley my fav! Just loved the story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

3/6. all about the snes gfx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I love 10. It's my favourite game and I dumped so many hours into it. It had a perfect battle system that worked surprisingly well compared to ATB. The characters and storyline were brilliant. The graphics were great at that time. It's such a good game that I have so many memories of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

tubedude wrote: »
    8 was definitley my fav! Just loved the story...
    Ya i only played it recently and the story is really really good!the futuristic world is really nice too!!

My fav would have to be 10!was amazing!loved the characters and really like the aeons too!must say i really like 9 as well cause it was my first final fantasy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Stories mean a huge thing to me and I must admit I got taken away by the immense background of FFVII. I also loved FFVIII and FFX. There is so much scope and quality to get completely lost in. :)

Game wise I loved Final FantasyVIII and Final FantasyX. Truly epic games. Overall it would be Final FantasyVII.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

has to be 9 for me 'cos i managed to compleat it after a lot of hardship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭fredmc

8 was my favourite. Followed closely by 10. I've replayed both the most out of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

fredmc wrote: »
    8 was my favourite. Followed closely by 10. I've replayed both the most out of the series.
    ditto :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,435 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I get the love for FFVII but not the love for FFVIII. It was a horribly broken game with a disgraceful story.

Anyway it's either FFVI or FFX for me. Most likely FFVI.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

VII is probably my favourite, but more for nostalgia then anything else. Its a fantastic game, which pretty much introduced me to the RPG genre. So it holds a special place in my heart. VIII i enjoyed, but agree that its story was atrocious at times. X was probably the best. Great story, characters and amazing graphics for the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

VI or VII are probably my favourites. I remember playing the PS1 port of VI instead of studying for my Junior Cert. VII will remain one of my fondest gaming memories, no matter how much Squenix try to milk it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭RKDus

Has to be 7 for me. I just played through it all again this week doing absolutely everything that can be done, including beating the Weapons for the first time ever, and I felt like crying when I finished it! I really feel like it's the best game ever made. I really enjoyed 10 also, despite the annoying accents of the characters, and Tidus.

Have to say I absolutely HATED 8, with its stupid storyline, annoying characters and mind numbing GF sequences.

Briefly tried to play the older ones recently but found them a bit too dated, although I'll probably have another go at 6. Can anyone who's played the older games recommend the best of them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,435 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Definitely FFVI is the best of the pre-playstation era. FFV and FFIV are perfectly playable as well and great games. Below that they get a bit too basic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

IX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

IX

Ditto
    Best by far

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Lee Snowflake

VII is the greatest. Brilliant story, excellent characters, and the Battle system has not been bested since. Materia FTW!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It will always be 7.

9 is great as well, nice and simplistic.

8, did I ever anticipate a game s much as that?, great CGI, brilliant story fr the first two discs, loved the garden military structure but it all went south in disc 3 and lets not forget the draw system.

10 has to be up there, best story a FF game has told to date. Benefitted from some excellent plot twists (the Yuna realisation was particularly powerful) decent voice acting and dealt with death well. Also had a very satisfying battle system (overkill I'm looking at you) and the best minigame in any FF. All this with a character arguably less cool than Cloud, Squall or Zidane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

VII is my favourite and probably one of my favourite games altogether. It was the first FF game i played so it holds a special place in my heart.

I don't really get why people like X though. It was good but i was'nt a big fan of it. It's the only FF game i bought that i still don't have although i kind of wish i had'nt traded it in as i would'nt mind playing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Are the PSP remakes of 1 and 2 worth getting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

noodler wrote: »
    All this with a character arguably less cool than Cloud, Squall or Zidane.

Yeah but it had "Auron" as the cool character to make up for the lameness that was Tidus, i hold FFX in high regard but not my fav.

7 is and probably always will be my fav, i havent played any other single player game as much as ive played 7 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Trent Skydaddy

nix wrote: »
    Yeah but it had "Auron" as the cool character to make up for the lameness that was Tidus, i hold FFX in high regard but not my fav.

7 is and probably always will be my fav, i havent played any other single player game as much as ive played 7 :D

Tidus was awesome, he had amazing dialogue and the fact they got through an immense story without even saying his name was impressive.

However i think everyone can agree that Vaan in FFXII was the lamest character ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Clichéd, I know, but it's got to be VII. It's just fantastic. First FF game I played as a wee fella and I've just always loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Tidus was awesome, he had amazing dialogue and the fact they got through an immense story without even saying his name was impressive.

However i think everyone can agree that Vaan in FFXII was the lamest character ever!

I cant remember his dialogue much i just remember his voice being annoying and him acting like an annoying lame child for the most part. Although my memory of FFX is hazey, i think its time i replayed it :D

And there is not one character in FFXII that i liked, it was not only the shittest FF ive played but the ****test RPG ive played. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

FF8 by far! Its an allout war and squall was an ignorant f*uck he was class! All the new ones have female protagonists...thats just not cool man. If I wanted te be feminine i'd slap on a dress :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Girls play games too, you know :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Of course but why ruin a guys game! Piss off and start yer own franchise:pac:

Dboy85 wrote: »
    Of course but why ruin a guys game! Piss off and start yer own franchise:pac:

You do realise that in japan that Dragon Quest is considered the game for guys and it's mostly girls that play final fantasy? It's always been like that. And your favourite FF, the pretty poor FFVIII, was designed as a response to the increased interest of females in FFVII and was designed specifically to appeal to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You do realise that in japan that Dragon Quest is considered the game for guys and it's mostly girls that play final fantasy? It's always been like that. And your favourite FF, the pretty poor FFVIII, was designed as a response to the increased interest of females in FFVII and was designed specifically to appeal to them?

You know, in Ireland the DS is considered to be for kids and girls but you still have one.

DQ for Boys and FF for girls? Jesus the Japanese must truly live in Bizarro world because everygame I have played from each series certainly gives me the opposite impression.

• Advertisement

I don't care if the DS is considered for kids the games on it are amazing. Also in the same vein Super Mario Galaxy is for kids, it doesn't stop it being the best game I've played in the last 5 years.

Well The whole FF is for girls thing started for FFVII. The girls loved Cloud since he had an 'emotional side'. In the japanese version he is even more of a pussy. Since then the main characters have been girly to appeal more to the female audience and have over the top anime love stories.

Dragon Quest on the other hand has remained totally old school and is a hard as nails RPG compared to Final Fantasy games that can be breezed through with little to no effort. Therefore in japan it's considered the game for real men :) FF is only popular here due to Dragon Quest never really getting the commercial success of FF. Also never underestimate the japanese love for Akira Toriyama's artwork.

Advertisement