Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite FF!!?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I have only played DQs 7-9 but they, in my honest opinion, are for more....flowery, childish etc. In appearance and setting, perhaps culturally and politically too. I did find the games challenging gameplaywise without having to go looking for optional bosses.

Also FF12, setting aside its other failings, was the most difficult in yonks regarding its main and optional bosses.

Of course I was joking about the DS, I would never really try and make somebody feel small or feminine for loving outside of their supposed demographic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I am actually playing through VII now. Just got to the world map last night! :D

Only played a very small amount of VIII so my favorite would definitely be VII.

But would love to play VIII and X when I'm finished playing through VII again.

Adam

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I am actually playing through VII now. Just got to the world map last night! :D

Only played a very small amount of VIII so my favorite would definitely be VII.

But would love to play VIII and X when I'm finished playing through VII again.

Adam

8 gets worse as it goes on. It all runs along great for me until the end of disc 2 but thats all I will say.

X is just great-I may try and play that again one day.

Have made a start on Persona 4 and am absolutely delighted my 8 year old PS2 still works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,435 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

noodler wrote: »
    I have only played DQs 7-9 but they, in my honest opinion, are for more....flowery, childish etc. In appearance and setting, perhaps culturally and politically too. I did find the games challenging gameplaywise without having to go looking for optional bosses.

Don't ask me to explain why it is it's just like that in japan. Draogn Quest has always been like playing a through a cartoon but the gameplay has always been deeper and way more challenging than FF's until FFx cae along.
    Also FF12, setting aside its other failings, was the most difficult in yonks regarding its main and optional bosses.

I can't really consider FFXII to be a true final fantasy game. It really is a game from the FF Tactics and Vagrant Story team rather than the usual Final Fantasy team. It's got a real Yasumi Matsuno feel to it. It's a real pity be had to bow out due to health reasons and that absolute plank that makes the Saga games took over. The games from that team are always more mature with a realistic look and rock hard gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You do realise that in japan that Dragon Quest is considered the game for guys and it's mostly girls that play final fantasy? It's always been like that. And your favourite FF, the pretty poor FFVIII, was designed as a response to the increased interest of females in FFVII and was designed specifically to appeal to them?

I do believe your talkin tru your ass! I'd be the first to admit a hint of femininity in the series but not designed for our "better" halves! Especially FF8's storyline! Squall was by no means girly he was an ass :rolleyes: how does that appeal to females?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Dboy85 wrote: »
    I do believe your talkin tru your ass! I'd be the first to admit a hint of femininity in the series but not designed for our "better" halves! Especially FF8's storyline! Squall was by no means girly he was an ass :rolleyes: how does that appeal to females?

Ever hear "treat em mean, keep em keen?"

RedXIV wrote: »
    Ever hear "treat em mean, keep em keen?"

Of coure :pac: My point is that the new ones are specifily made for women and less inviting/successful than the old school. From 9 upwards the protagonists got more and more emotional/girly and destroyed their hardcore fan base!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

noodler wrote: »
    8 gets worse as it goes on. It all runs along great for me until the end of disc 2 but thats all I will say.

X is just great-I may try and play that again one day.

Have made a start on Persona 4 and am absolutely delighted my 8 year old PS2 still works.

Think I'll give 8 a miss then. Even though I remember liking the card game in it. Definitely give 10 a go though, when I have time that is.

Can't wait to finish playing through 7 first though.

Adam

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Think I'll give 8 a miss then.
    Blasphemy!!! 8 is a great game. Its all out war throughout.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,435 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not talking through my ass, do a few searches on you tube. RedXIV is right though. They gave Squall feminine features to appeal to the japanese female fanbase that really like these in their characters, made him a completely ignorant dork that treated women like **** that found a softer side through one of the worst plot twists ever. It was pure 'treat'em mean, keep them keen' stuff and appealed to the female fantasy of being able to change and control the bad boy. The producer even said he was heavily inluenced by the overly sappy love story of titanic which came out at the start of pre-production and the amount of female following it had.

It's one reason why I hate the story and characters if FFVIII. It's designed by a focus group to appeal to the fanbase. The other reason is that the characters are poor, the story is poor and the love story is utter nonsense. It isn't all out war throughout. There's two over the top cutscenes with a bit of action. The rest is nonsense about GF's making them forget they knew each other, time compression BS and Lunar cry wtf is going on moments.

I thought FFX was more of a compromise and FFIX was really a love note to fans of the old 8-16 bit games, really loved that game. FFX had a decent love story this time, great story, compelling characters and a hardcore fighting system that was excellent and challenging.

• Advertisement

ffx?! Tidus was a spoiled yank brat that went around spitting out his dummy the whole time and the game was more of a movie than anything with its abundance of cut scenes. Aauron was a legend and saved the game!
    Squall owned tidus lol
    All thats wrong with you is you didn't understand the plot or appriciate what its like to play as a cool character for a change!

ffx?! Tidus was a spoiled yank brat that went around spitting out his dummy the whole time and the game was more of a movie than anything with its abundance of cut scenes. Aauron was a legend and saved the game!
    Squall owned tidus lol
    All thats wrong with you is you didn't understand the plot or appriciate what its like to play as a cool character for a change!

Squall is a slightly cooler character tha Tidus for me but that hardly makes the game.

FFX had a genuinely fun and satisying battle system. The overkill system really challenged (rewarded) you for actually using an enemy's weakness rather than just gettng by by holding down X. Ten was a better all round story and goes off track and weird (yunalesca/ Yu Yevon) much much later than 8 does (Anyone who isn't Edea or Seifer). I liked the way they had an overbearing religious system as the main ruler as opossed t the secular rulers of the previous 3 games.

A non-bring battle system is essential.

Sorry for the double, ps3 only lets one message be so long.

8's battle system was an absolute exercise in time wasting (draw system). Also, only being able to update your weapons 3 or 4 times in the whole game was less customisation than I would have liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

You do realise that in japan that Dragon Quest is considered the game for guys and it's mostly girls that play final fantasy? It's always been like that. And your favourite FF, the pretty poor FFVIII, was designed as a response to the increased interest of females in FFVII and was designed specifically to appeal to them?

I find it hard to believe that FFVII was appealing to girls in japan. Cloud may have been more appealing to girls but look at the other characters. Barrett who was an angry guy with a gatling gun on his arm, Cid a bad tempered pilot who cursed a lot and of course Tifa's huge mammaries.:D Characters that appealed to me more as a male.

Although it's easy to see that FFVIII was more aimed towards women. Although a good game by general standards it was poor by FF standards. It peaks with the fight scene between Squall and Seifer at the start and goes downhill from there.

Barrett who was an angry guy with a gatling gun on his arm, Cid a bad tempered pilot who cursed a lot and of course Tifa's huge mammaries.:D Characters that appealed to me more as a male.

Their the kind of characters that I want to see more of. Vaan from FFXII really let the team down & it had the potential to be a great game. Did anyone actually enjoy XII? Personally I couldn't get over Vaan to enjoy it

I actually found FFX to have the most coherent storyline of the entire series. It made sense all the way to the end and never contradicted it's universe or had the end game boss appear out of nowhere or nonsense like the multiple witches in FFVIII that served to only drag the story out. Tidus was an annoying twat but it was down to a poor voice actor choice (the guy is actually quite talented) that was due to the localisation team sticking too close to the source material. Japanese are far more used to their characters in games and anime being whiny pussies, the Shinji effect :)
    I find it hard to believe that FFVII was appealing to girls in japan. Cloud may have been more appealing to girls but look at the other characters. Barrett who was an angry guy with a gatling gun on his arm, Cid a bad tempered pilot who cursed a lot and of course Tifa's huge mammaries.:D Characters that appealed to me more as a male.

Again this is down to the game appeal to a more to a japanese female audience not a western one. You also have to realise that Cloud was much more of a whiny pussie than in the western game. He's pretty pathetic, more along the lines of squall and tidus. Also it contains one of the strongest female characters ever, Aeris. Shy timid but ultimately bracer than anyone else in the game. It's true that Tifa was designed to appeal more to the male western audience that were playing tomb raider. FFVII certainly wasn't built to appeal to the female audience but it did. Gaming for females is far more common over there and many of them had flocked to FFVI due to the Mog design which was popular and they discovered FF. FFVIII was definitely developed with appealling to the female audience with over the top action scenes that didn't alienate the male fan base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Blasphemy!!! 8 is a great game. Its all out war throughout.

it is absolute crap sanwiched between two far superior games.
    The "at the time in this market" astounding FFVII and the back to basics, excellently produced and great fun IX

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Zack21

FF7 was the first one i ever played and i loved it!! It had a great story and each perso was sooooo COOL!! I was 12 at the time and i thought Cloud and Sephiroth where the coolest :D Sephiroth was my favorite though!! Real bad ass!!

FF8 was very good but FF9!!!. . . . . what a heap of *&(*&(&^& I traded like 9 games to get it and i was sooo annoyed!! FF10 was brilliant

The worst one i have ever played was 12!!! my god i swear id did my best to get into it but the battle system never got to me and i found it unreal hard!! after about a month i just gave up :(

Zack21 wrote: »
    FF7 was the first one i ever played and i loved it!! It had a great story and each perso was sooooo COOL!! I was 12 at the time and i thought Cloud and Sephiroth where the coolest :D Sephiroth was my favorite though!! Real bad ass!!

FF8 was very good but FF9!!!. . . . . what a heap of *&(*&(&^& I traded like 9 games to get it and i was sooo annoyed!! FF10 was brilliant

The worst one i have ever played was 12!!! my god i swear id did my best to get into it but the battle system never got to me and i found it unreal hard!! after about a month i just gave up :(

FF9 was much more tatical than FF7.
    In 7, you could choose 3 characters, get them levelled up and Master Materia. They were all the same fighting characters, once physical attacks became obsolete.

In 9 you had to know how to balance a team, as you could only use specific commands with certain characters. this made for much more of a challenge and interesting fights.

You had the same style, simplified, in X. Rather than limit characters to certain skills, they were pre-affiliated with them. You could change this but it took a lot of work and grinding. Been absolute fawking years since I played X though, so open to correction

No you are right. Only Kimarhi could choose to a limited degree a hodge podge of abilities from the physical attacker abilities.

FFIX for me is a much better game than FFVII. So what if the story wasn't as convoluted, at least it came to a satisfying conclusion and didn't feel rushed (other than the last boss appearing out of nowhere). It was also just plain old fun right from the get go and had a very tactical battle system unlike FFVII which could be abused too easily and was as easy as falling out of bed in the mornings.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I love FF7. Not for the game but for the effect that game had on me.
    It is a very hard game to replay nodays. I found that 9 is a much easier game to fall in love with again.

FF7 was the game that got most people playing RPG. Its cutscenes were amazing, for the time, and it had some really good side quests/mini games. It also had some really memorable scenes. Yes it was not the best but I believe that it deserves the place in people's hearts and memories, based on the engegement it got. I can still remember all the characters/side characters/bit players, after all these years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Zack21

Yeah well you have to admit that FF7 was the start of a new battle system so it's obvious that the rest where just going to get better and better as the games went further on, but i still say that FF9 was a huge change regards to the story line in FF7 and FF8. FF9 just never gave me the feeling of "God I can't wait to get home and play the game". I do have to admit the the whole series got me into RPG's along with reading books lol it turned me into a nerd ha. I can't wait to play FF versus!! The start looks very dark and gothic which is kinda cool.

Have to say thow there isn't any good RPG's that i've played on the XBOX or the PS3, and mainly i don't have the money to get a new game lol. One game i did get the other day was Devil may Cry 4. Not a bad game really

I love FFVII as well, it's a great game and had a big impact on me. I used to be one of the people proclaiming that it had a better storyline than any book or film, but looking back on it, I was an idiot. It's a great game that influenced a lot of people and made jrpgs popular but it doesn't deserve the unadulterated praise some people give it.

FFVII wasn't actually the start of a new battle system. The ATB battle system was first introduced in FFIV. FFVII was a really poor ATB battle system without the tactics and with the amount of controllable characters cut back to 3. It took until FFIX before the battle system was of a similar standard to FFIV, FFV and FFVI. You also say that FFIX was a huge story and character change when it's actually more like the traditional FF games than FFVII and FFVIII. FFVII and FFVIII are actually the big change in storyline, theme and setting with FFIX being a return to the traditional FF mould. TBH FFVII's storyline isn't all that great shakes once you get out of Midgar. FFVIII is a laughable mess in story terms. And for me FFIX gave me that 'have to get hime to play it' feeling, but then all FF games give that to me other than the deploarabl FF2 and the poor FFXII.

I think that the amount of quality JRPGs has really decreased since the PS1 era. We had very few good ones on hte PS2. The Shin Megami Tensei games were amazing, particularly the Persona games but other than that there were very few. We got FFX then squaresift became **** and Level 5 gave us some nice games but they don't have the budgets yet to give us good ones.

On the PS3 and 360 I haven't played a JRPG that I would consider excellent. Lost Odyssey came close but had a really poor opening and Eternal Sonata got repetitive. At least we have Tales of Vesperia on the way and Valkyria Chronicles is amazing on the PS3 but isn't really an RPG.

I love FFVII as well, it's a great game and had a big impact on me. I used to be one of the people proclaiming that it had a better storyline than any book or film, but looking back on it, I was an idiot. It's a great game that influenced a lot of people and made jrpgs popular but it doesn't deserve the unadulterated praise some people give it.

FFVII wasn't actually the start of a new battle system. The ATB battle system was first introduced in FFIV. FFVII was a really poor ATB battle system without the tactics and with the amount of controllable characters cut back to 3. It took until FFIX before the battle system was of a similar standard to FFIV, FFV and FFVI. You also say that FFIX was a huge story and character change when it's actually more like the traditional FF games than FFVII and FFVIII. FFVII and FFVIII are actually the big change in storyline, theme and setting with FFIX being a return to the traditional FF mould. TBH FFVII's storyline isn't all that great shakes once you get out of Midgar. FFVIII is a laughable mess in story terms. And for me FFIX gave me that 'have to get hime to play it' feeling, but then all FF games give that to me other than the deploarabl FF2 and the poor FFXII.

I think that the amount of quality JRPGs has really decreased since the PS1 era. We had very few good ones on hte PS2. The Shin Megami Tensei games were amazing, particularly the Persona games but other than that there were very few. We got FFX then squaresift became **** and Level 5 gave us some nice games but they don't have the budgets yet to give us good ones.

On the PS3 and 360 I haven't played a JRPG that I would consider excellent. Lost Odyssey came close but had a really poor opening and Eternal Sonata got repetitive. At least we have Tales of Vesperia on the way and Valkyria Chronicles is amazing on the PS3 but isn't really an RPG.

It's crossed fingers time for FFXIII
    TBH this needs to be a success, or we will be playing Fallout clones for the next few years.
    Fallout is a very good game but, for me, not as engaging a storyline as the FF series best

The thing is I love Fallout 3 but think Oblivion is a heap of boring arse. I still love my JRPGs it's just that there aren't many companies making good ones anymore. I snap up anything Level 5 make, Namco make great RPG's but they are either slow or don't bother bringing them here and I'm thinking of getting into the Megaten/Shin Megami Tensei series since falling in love with persona and hearding nothing but good things about the PS2 games and series.

The thing is I love Fallout 3 but think Oblivion is a heap of boring arse. I still love my JRPGs it's just that there aren't many companies making good ones anymore. I snap up anything Level 5 make, Namco make great RPG's but they are either slow or don't bother bringing them here and I'm thinking of getting into the Megaten/Shin Megami Tensei series since falling in love with persona and hearding nothing but good things about the PS2 games and series.

I absolutely love Fallout but, for some reason, the story just does not engage me. It is probably the way the cutscenes are done, FF always pulls away to let you absorb the whole scene. Fallout just gives you the same deadpan faces up close

It has great atmosphere, as a solitary adventure, but I like the team based and character driven FF

Yeah I love the friendship elements of the FF games, probably why I love the stories in FFX and Valkyria Chronicles were the characters slowly get over any prejudice they had and become friends. Fallout 3's story doesn't engage me at all but the world does.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

lol the tread.comon! 'tell me your best FF game',again?!still love to reply in a thread like this tho:D

but i will keep it short then:FF6 ftw!!!god i had so much fun during the Easter weekend by turning the whole team into Imps and put them on full imp gears :D killing Kefka by nonstop jumping on him!!the replay value you say?ff6 is a timeless classic!!

while reading some of you guys above,my opinion would be:
    guys,we are no longer 'that' young already lol cloud/tidus/squall/pussies in FF series,they are all kids!!look at their character setting,some 17/18 teenage young boys!*checked ffonline.com while i am writing this...beated me...Cloud is actually 21 years old...*and look back FF6,Locked is 25!!

this explains alot why the hell some of us grow up from FF7,8 but hated the protagonists now:we thought they are cool back then but think back of them now they are some total twats lol because we dont like some teenager emo fag anymore,do we?:P

FF has always been a business,differs from DQ which is some sort of 'country traditional sport game' .

FF has its high standards/qualities tho,look at FF in ps1 era,glorious moments:THE RPG with top class story/graphics/music.Square basically survives with one game and that's partly due to they have a good marketing strategy - they aim their target consumers age range lower since FF7,something like the mobile phone's market,Square aim for the young people who are willing to spend money and time on playing game and yes, they succeeded.

However,FF is obviously gone down hill since FF-X2(wtf is that?!) and FF12 is a [insert the feeling when you are forced to wear like Vaan and walking on Grafton's street]:rolleyes: for us the 'old:(' gamers of JRPG lovers,with the leaving of the 'old school' FF team from SE,i can see where is the disappointment we got from those latest FF games comes from.

The future? i dont really expect future FF can live up to our expectation tbh and the fact is SE is no longer the no.1 in the section of JRPG.You can argue that the sales/money speaks the truth but i am clearly losing faith of Square - all the recent games announced by them dont interested me at all!! Hope FF13 comes out nice.speaking of that,heard the demo was abit let down?

p/s:terra and celes are both 18 years old...never know you Locke is a loli-con lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

OT:
    speaking of which, some 'people' (teenagers) dont like FF9 at all...i am shocked too of just realised that characters in FF9 are so damn young!!zidane/garnet is 16 and vivi/eiko are 6 years old lol??however the story setting is obviously darker/mature than 7 and 8.

characters' age in pre-ps1 era are considered to be quite reasonable/old enough to save the world.our good man cyan in FF6 is 50years old :P....while i think i asked that before how the celes managed to be a General at the age of 18?!

• Advertisement

seraphimvc wrote: »
    OT:
    speaking of which, some 'people' (teenagers) dont like FF9 at all...i am shocked too of just realised that characters in FF9 are so damn young!!zidane/garnet is 16 and vivi/eiko are 6 years old lol??however the story setting is obviously darker/mature than 7 and 8.

You see the game is more colourful than FFVII and FFVIII with more anime characters and the youngsters equate this to it not being mature or cool even if it has darker themes.

Here's an example:

ffVII_1__before.jpg

Suikoden2.jpg

Pop quiz.

1. Which game looks darker and more mature.

2. Which game is in facter the darker and more mature game.

Here's some hints. One game has a storyline that falls apart in after the firts section of the game and descends into anime cliche and focus group designed characters. The other game is a moving tale about how the lives of 3 young adults are torn apart by a war started by a crazed prince that decides the best way to get back at the people responsible for the event that caused his madness, watching his mother being raped by soldiers when he was four, is to go on a genocidal rampage through the country responsible.

Advertisement