Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite FF!!?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

seraphimvc wrote: »
    OT:
    speaking of which, some 'people' (teenagers) dont like FF9 at all...i am shocked too of just realised that characters in FF9 are so damn young!!zidane/garnet is 16 and vivi/eiko are 6 years old lol??however the story setting is obviously darker/mature than 7 and 8.

characters' age in pre-ps1 era are considered to be quite reasonable/old enough to save the world.our good man cyan in FF6 is 50years old :P....while i think i asked that before how the celes managed to be a General at the age of 18?!

The age thing is an interesting question.

I had read (am open to correction on this) that originally Basch was planned to be the primary protagonist in FF12 - a 30-something year old - who was one of the more infinitely interesting characters in this disappointing game.

So presumably later on in development cycle, the SE coporate heads obviously weighed-in with the (probably correct) opinion that teens were the main target demographic, and the game would best be served by putting Vaan (15yr old?) to the fore.

The former would have made for a better game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 gos27

FF3 for the DS was the best... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Madrox

VII was the best. hands down. no other RPG will ever match it for me.
    IX was next. great characters, and i liked the class ystme being used again
    X was good. Was weird there was no real world destroyin threat. seems to be the way with FF now.

XII is my most hated game of all time. Huge expectations let down by the worst battle system known to ma, an exeedinly average story with no rel twists and too much politics, awful one dimensional characters.

XIII is looking good. Really dont like that you get all your HP back after each fight, in fact it might be a game killer for me, but the battle system looks good. Hope the story is a stark improvement on XII aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Final Fantasy VI sits comfortably at the top in my opinion.
    That scene with the Cyan's family and the train sold it for me.

I have to agree with Seraphimvc - the ages of characters in later games is a joke. I remember flicking through a manual recently and one of the charatcters was aged 22 and their profile stated "very old and wise."

WTF?
    I'm sure I'd trust a 22year old with the fate of the world/universe/existance/time-itself anyday.

(Please note I know we're talking about fictional games so don't take me too seriously)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 thomohawk

has to be final vii,benchmark for rpgs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

it is absolute crap sanwiched between two far superior games.
    The "at the time in this market" astounding FFVII and the back to basics, excellently produced and great fun IX
    so true thought 8 was good at start and as i went on boredom set in futuristic side is cool though.
    I absolutely love Fallout but, for some reason, the story just does not engage me. It is probably the way the cutscenes are done
    ya the story is rele bad for fallout 3 its only about 15/16 missions id say!finishes far to fast graphics are awesome though.FF cutscenes are the best in the gaming business there so amazing!you cant help but like them
    WTF?
    I'm sure I'd trust a 22year old with the fate of the world/universe/existance/time-itself anyday.

(Please note I know we're talking about fictional games so don't take me too seriously)

ya i dont get that either!16 year olds saving the world..except for auron he was legendary manliest man ever ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Did anybody else love the music from 10? I thought the battle of jecht and the rest of the music in it was great :D The start where the blizball starts up and sin attacks the city made all my hairs stand up the first time I watched it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Con.

Has to be VIII for me. Never had a game made such an impact on me like this one. I hoped it would never end! :(

VII in second. Brilliant game for it's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Yunalesca

8 was definately my fave :3 I actually played them as they came out. While I was in love with 7, I just loved the drawing system in 8 and adored the Summons and the way they became involved in learning abilities. And the way squall went WHATEVER. All the time.

Final Fantasy VIII is weird.
    Everyone admits to liking it but also suggest that they feel ashamed to admit it, like its a guilty pleasure or something.
    Personally I thought it was great, was also a fan of the draw system. The music stood out particularly for me though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have major issues with FFVIII. The storyline is a complete clusterfuck, the draw system is tedious, crap and breaks the game, summons take far too long and the characters are all annoying twats especially Squall and his emo asshattery.

However I can't say I hate the game because I enjoyed playing it. It was fun when you found out how to break the game since you didn't have to summon and looked gorgeous with a great soundtrack. It's a weird one. Crap in so many ways but fun.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I have major issues with FFVIII. The storyline is a complete clusterfuck, the draw system is tedious, crap and breaks the game, summons take far too long and the characters are all annoying twats especially Squall and his emo asshattery.

However I can't say I hate the game because I enjoyed playing it. It was fun when you found out how to break the game since you didn't have to summon and looked gorgeous with a great soundtrack. It's a weird one. Crap in so many ways but fun.

Lets sum up: guilty pleasure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

FFX for me. Although the character of
    Yu Yevon
    really confused.
    You fight him as a boss battle at the end but it's very vague about why he is this shiny orb and really was the only part of the story that confused me.
    Can anyone shed a light on my confusion?

The story of FFX was fantastic, Auron's speech
    before the battle with Yunalesca
    was a fantastic moment, the best 30 seconds ever in a video game.

I also loved the story in FFVIII but FFXII's story is all over the place.

I would love if they remade FFVII and FFVIII with voice acting.

In FFX the main goal is always to destroy Sin.
    In FFXII you just seem to be going from A to B, there is no continuity. And Ashe is a piss poor character compared to Yuna, who is fascinating.

Also Vayne in XII doesn't capture you in the same way Seymour in X does.

FFVIII's music was amazing, especially in the SeeD practical exam to Dollet. Best download I ever made. FFX's was pretty good too but again FFXII was a big let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nonnah-semaj

i've played 6 of the final fantasy series including viii and X, but vii stands above all others as the greatest rpg i have played!!!

i'm tired of hearing the old arguments from friends that the graphics are useless--are we forgettin that this game was a stepping-stone to todays premier graphics???? it was the first playstation game to utilise 3-D throughout the game. The storyline is stunning to the extent that anyone who has completed the game will compare all rpgs they play to this game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,436 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think you are forgetting that all the prerendered backgrounds were 2D so it was a lot less 2D than most PS1 games. Storywise it's nothing special and it certainly isn't the best RPG of all time, more a slightly better than average one thats become overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

FFX was my favourite by far. I really liked 7 but 10 just tops it in my opinion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I loved 7 but I also loved 9 picking one is just to hard *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I love FFIV DS. I really love this version since it's retuned, has some decent voice acting and great 3D (for a DS). If you don't like it then ya a spoony bard!!

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

FFX seemed to be the most addictive to play for me. Great characters (no emo protagonist), beautifully designed backgrounds and bulidings.

The upgrading system allowed you to fix a certain job to a characters background (Lulu - black mage) or you could change it. Turn based battle system for more interesting strategy.

My favorite addition is the crystal ball puzzle in each temple that's not interrupted with battles or a countdown.

Storyline was a little weak but i can forgive that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

carbonkid wrote: »
    FFX seemed to be the most addictive to play for me. Great characters (no emo protagonist), beautifully designed backgrounds and bulidings.

The upgrading system allowed you to fix a certain job to a characters background (Lulu - black mage) or you could change it. Turn based battle system for more interesting strategy.

My favorite addition is the crystal ball puzzle in each temple that's not interrupted with battles or a countdown.

Storyline was a little weak but i can forgive that.

*Leaps to the Defence of FFX'S Story*

There were some excellent moments. You had to face death in nearly every town you went to (and it was blameless death becasue Sin was seen as a force of nature or as punishment). Theres also the racism aspect which Retro dearly loves. There were some major and outstanding plot devices for me too
    Auron's reveal as an undead and particularly the Yuna must die reveal

So much went together so well, walking down Zanarkand (the road to the stadium) and hearing "someday the Dream Will End" (it replaces the battle music too) is just beautiful. Great game.

That said the last boss or two were a bit crap storyline wise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I loved Final Fantasy X, and would love to play it again. VII is my favourite, but thats as much from nostalgia as it is on the merits of the game. X had great characters, great story, and a great battle system. I thought the Tidus/Yuna story was great, as well as the others characters interaction. Also was one of the more visually stunning games of its time.

Now if only they'd release it on the PS3 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

8 was my favourite...now Before you all go ripping me to shreds let me explain why....

I think I was like 8 or 9 when I got it, it was my first one and got me hooked.

Retrogamer in agreeing with noodler shocker :O :) Have to say I can't criticise FFX for having a poor story since it's arguably the best of the entire series.
    8 was my favourite...now Before you all go ripping me to shreds let me explain why....

No excuse. :P

It was a decent game in its own right. The card mini-game was the only in-game mini game (however the hell you class that) that was actually worth playing. Graphics were good for the time and the music was great as well.

Anyone who objects will feel the wrath of my gun-sword!:D

The storyline though was totally bizarre and utter crude and the cast were totally hateful. Still a fun game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Retrogamer in agreeing with noodler shocker :O :) Have to say I can't criticise FFX for having a poor story since it's arguably the best of the entire series.

No excuse. :P
    Lmao I knew you'd be the first one to say it!!
    Like i said story wise when your 8 or 9 isn't as important as it is these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I just hate where 8 goes storywise once the 2nd disc is over. Its all fine up until then for me.

I'd actually say it's stupidly crazy in disc 1 as well in a lot of places. Selphie had her train fetish there and cid gave his students a lamp with 'THE FUCKING DEVIL!' in it. Still it wasn't until dsic 2 when it went to crazy town fully.

cid gave his students a lamp with 'THE FUCKING DEVIL!' in it.

I forgot about that, haha brilliant:D
    One thing that stuck in my mind was the continent with nothing on it for 2/3 of the game only to then later reveal a city that covers like 90% of said continent.

• Advertisement

Well I did kind of steal that joke from the spoony experiment but I laughed everytime it came up in his review :)

Advertisement