Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Rented Apartment

Options
  • 18-03-2009 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have signed a lease agreement for an apartment that I viewed once last week. Upon viewing everything seemed to be in order, bar the kitchen and cooker needing a bit of a cleaning (which I was ok with doing). However, since getting the keys problems have started to arise that were hidden during the viewing. The kitchen is in a far worse state than previously seen: behind the pots and pans under the sink the press was covered in greasy/grimey stains, the inside of the cooker was filthy with grease, and the fridge was disgustingly dirty. The switch for the heating can't be used, I can't turn the heating on or off or on timer. There is a crack in the bath which definitely needs to be fixed as there is another apartment below me. The furniture is caked with dirt in places etc etc.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, there are a lot of problems with this apartment. The landlord is due out tomorrow to have a look and see for himself what needs to be done.

My question is, if nothing is done, am I entitled to leave the property and get my deposit and months rent back? The reason I ask about the rent in advance is because I haven't actually moved in yet seeing as I have no shower facilities, no heating, no fridge and an unhygienic cooker so the apartment (for all intents and purposes) is still vacant.

Obviously I am waiting to hear what the landlord has to say and what he thinks needs to be done, but after seeing the state of the place it's hard to be optamistic. I feel quite deflated by the whole experience as I am left cleaning up after the previous tenant (and since this is my first time renting). I feel like I have been duped into taking this place.

So if everything goes wrong and the landlord won't fix anything am I entitled to walk out on the agreement and get my money back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Sounds like this place doesn't meet some of the basic standards when it comes to renting.. working heat source for one. Lease or no lease, standards have to be met, and the landlord has obligations.

More info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Confussled

Lease or no lease, standards have to be met, and the landlord has obligations.

That's reassuring to hear. Everything could go fine tomorrow and the landlord may be more than happy to sort out everything, I just haven't been able to shake the feeling that I've been duped into taking this place!

I had figured that both the bath and heating would definitely have to be fixed by the landlord no matter what, but what about the fridge and cooker? They are both unusable and frankly I shouldn't be the one who has to clean out grease and grime and disinfect them both, so would he be responsible for sorting that out too?

Advertisement