Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kippure Time Trial

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

@kenmc.
    I can give you a lift up. Jeep with bike rack.
    Assuming I'll do it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Lumen wrote: »
    Interesting stats. A cursory fiddle with numbers suggests that you weren't trying very hard for that 13:50, and that I might crawl up in just under 20 minutes.

OMG Lumen, what have you just said! I woudn't tempt team Sherlock if I were you ... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'm in. Its not as bad as some might think. The steep side of Howth Hill is worse in my opinion. So if you can get up that in one go, you can get up Kippure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Planet X wrote: »
    Call out your number as you cross the finish line. You don't actually need a paper number. You sign on in a position, eg. 6th. Call out six as you finish. Wicklow Tri club did it this way for their TT series last year. The Vets do the same.
    I think "murrph murrph (collapse)" will do very well in this TT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

I might give it a lash if it turns out that I can make it up on the night in question.
    The issue of riders descending back down while others are still heading up needs to be considered. It could be pretty cold at the top so might not be conducive to waiting around until everyone has made it up. Presumably riders going up will keep to the left track (from what I recall there's grass etc up the middle) with any passing obviously requiring a switch to the right where descending riders could be a problem. I guess descending will have to be kept very controlled.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,590 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'm in. Its not as bad as some might think. The steep side of Howth Hill is worse in my opinion. So if you can get up that in one go, you can get up Kippure.

heh, the one time I was up that way I had already stopped about 15 times coming up from powerscourt to glencree and up to sallygap, it took me about 40 minutes to do the climb up kippure stopping every few minutes! It was shameful, I could run it nealry twice as quick!

but you guys are inspiring me, maybe this year I'll stick with the bike long enough to do something like this in the summer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭NeilMcEoigheann

Greyspoke wrote: »
    It could be pretty cold at the top so might not be conducive to waiting around until everyone has made it up.
    their won't be that many of us so everyone will be at the top before you know it, alternatively the person with the time at the top could bring up peoples windbreakers in some form of bag,

their won't be that many of us so everyone will be at the top before you know it, alternatively the person with the time at the top could bring up peoples windbreakers in some form of bag,
    I think I'm seeing a way to handicap Ryan here :) I will bring my lead windbreaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

blorg wrote: »
    I think I'm seeing a way to handicap Ryan here :) I will bring my lead windbreaker.

We're probably going to be thirsty at the top too. I think team Sherlock should make sure there's plenty of bidons up there waiting for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,112 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is this still on for 18:30 on Tues? I need to sort a babysitter....

Also, would much appreciate GPS coordinates or a Google map link for the start point - my sense of direction is dire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I'm still up for it assuming okay weather.

Link to start: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=53.171782,-6.308384&spn=0.063899,0.181961&t=h&z=13&msid=104529717010402214268.00046646c611ba71ff4fe

Just for an idea of numbers, and possible starting order (so we finish roughly closer together) I have a little spreadsheet.

Please add yourself in:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pYbR-2Fs-_VXonLj6fMcLNQ

We need two timers - any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LDB

I can make it out to help with time keeping duties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

If anyone can give me a lift out, I'm happy to help with the timing/possibly ave a crack at it...

If anyone can give me a lift out.

ya lazy fecker!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Still coughing and spluttering here, but I'll probably give it a shot if I can get out of work on time.

Sunset's around 8 now isn't it? Might be a good idea to bring lights for the way back.

@Tiny: What's wrong with cycling out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    Still coughing and spluttering here, but I'll probably give it a shot if I can get out of work on time.

Sunset's around 8 now isn't it? Might be a good idea to bring lights for the way back.

@Tiny: What's wrong with cycling out.

Mostly the time issue, not sure what time I'll be able to get out of work at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'd like to do it but work is probably gonna prevent it. Gonna have my first busy day in ages on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭NeilMcEoigheann

i'm good for tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

Been sick the last few days but I'm hoping to be well enough to get out to this still... According to met eireann the weather looks ok, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm in, assuming I can get out of work on time.

• Advertisement

Getting the keys to my new place tomorrow ( woohoo ) ... so I can't make it ... awww

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I am stuck in "work" until 5pm, even if I was sitting in front of 30 undergrads in full lycra ready to go, it would probably take me an hour and a half to get up there.

Have fun!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I am stuck in "work" until 5pm, even if I was sitting in front of 30 undergrads in full lycra ready to go, it would probably take me an hour and a half to get up there.

Have fun!

I reckon it's gonna take me the same. No excuse Dirk.

Raam wrote: »
    I reckon it's gonna take me the same. No excuse Dirk.

Yes but you are a total legend, an absolute hero! (enough praise yet?) I am nowhere near that level. I suppose I can see what time I make it home tomorrow before deciding.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Yes but you are a total legend, an absolute hero! (enough praise yet?) I am nowhere near that level. I suppose I can see what time I make it home tomorrow before deciding.

Oh if only I had ever done anything to actually deserve praise.

It'll be good craic.

Raam wrote: »
    Oh if only I had ever done anything to actually deserve praise.

It'll be good craic.

You introduced us to euro-ness, surely that is the greatest thing since Jesus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Hoping to get there too.
    So what's the quickest (and most energy efficient) way up by bike? (unless of course PlanetX is still driving and offering me that lift :D)

kenmc wrote: »
    Hoping to get there too.
    So what's the quickest (and most energy efficient) way up by bike? (unless of course PlanetX is still driving and offering me that lift :D)
    map

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

kenmc wrote: »
    Hoping to get there too.

Go on then! :mad::mad::mad:
    I'll pm you my number to organize pick up time and place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I vote that everyone who gets a lift to the venue has 2 minutes added to their time. For fairness. Who's with me?

I won't be able to make it tomorrow. I can't work out whether I'm disappointed or relieved about that, but I did go up there earlier today so I have a time for myself that I will be comparing to you lot. I know it's pointless comparing given that conditions will be different tomorrow, and that your start/finish points will probably be slightly different. For the record I started with my back wheel against the barrier at the bottom, and finished at the stone pillars nearly at the top. Seems a logical way of doing it as there's planty of space beyond the pillars should anyone actually manage to accelerate hard over the line. Doubtful.

I also have a list of excuses ready to be deployed should my performance today become too laughable next to yours tomorrow. These include (but are not limited to):
    1)the wind (it was hellish),
    2)the fact that I was nowhere near conservative enough on my way up Edmundton Rd. or the sally gap and was therefore quite tired before the effort,
    3)tactical naiveté (too hard at the bottom - too conservative in the middle - weak as a kitten by the top),
    4)THE WIND!!,
    5)a partially absorbed twin (basically, I was carrying a passenger),
    6)the fact that I forgot to shed my bidons, saddle bag, and stuff at the bottom (at least 600g grammes could have been saved here - what's that worth maths fans?),
    7)the fact that Kippure is only about a third into the solo century I did today and I thought it prudent not to go to crazy with 65km still to cover.

Conditions up there this afternoon were ok, but no better than that. Wind, as ever, was a considerable issue, and today it was blowing strongly right along the hardest parts of the climb into my agonised face. I hope it's even worse tomorrow :D, but Joe Bastardi says no, it'll be better.

Advertisement