Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kippure Time Trial

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

And after all that he still doesn't give us his time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Planet X wrote: »
    Go on then! :mad::mad::mad:
    I'll pm you my number to organize pick up time and place.
    Ah no it's grand, i'll cycle up just in case I get delayed or something. Sure if everyone else is cycling up we might make a meetup point and go up as a group? Looks like it's going to be lovely anyway, so nice for a spin.
    Thanks anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

What time's good for people to meet -is 5 in Dundrum ok, or 5.30 better?

(still dunno if I'm actually going to TT it up there, but willing to head along if I'm out of work on time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Right, turns out I am going to have to skip this, can't get a car so I reckon if I leave college at 5 on the dot, which is optimistic, I'd be in Enniskerry for about 6:30 after stopping home to change.

I look forward to seeing the times, I'll put myself down for an imaginary 18-20 mins for comparison.

it's over an hour from dundrum. we probably need to be around 5:15 or eariler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

i have a meeting in town at 4.30 that is unavoidable.

if it finishes on time i plan on biking to templeogue and then driving out from there. hopefully it all works out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Won't be taking part, but might go as a spectator/unofficial Boards photographer of the event (good light permitting)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Is there anywhere I could park nearby?
    I might give it a shot, don't think I could do it as fast as you lot but I'd like to try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,112 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

lafors wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I could park nearby?

Dunno, but I'm driving up there (unavoidably due to time constraints) and plan to just stick the car at the side of the road somewhere.
    I might give it a shot, don't think I could do it as fast as you lot but I'd like to try.

It's not the winning, it's the suffering that counts.

There's plenty of space to park the cars at the entrance to the road - Lumen if you remember 2 saturdays ago there were loads of dog-trailers and vans parked there, there were dog trials on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

Nice one guys, enjoy the event. TW ran this a number of times and its SAVAGE. We started on the N11 at the bottom of the Enniskerry bends, 10m elevation. Up throught the village, up to glencree, towards the gap, hop over the gate and up to the top. falt section in the valley was great, little groups working together, then all hell breaks loose. Record is Robin @ 45mins.

Where are you guys starting, glencree? Tough from there, straight into it!

I have always dreamed of running an open event on kippure. Start in enniskerry village, all the way to the top. Mass start. Top racers to total flappers. Market it as a challenge. Would you guys be interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

joemc99 wrote: »
    Nice one guys, enjoy the event. TW ran this a number of times and its SAVAGE. We started on the N11 at the bottom of the Enniskerry bends, 10m elevation. Up throught the village, up to glencree, towards the gap, hop over the gate and up to the top. falt section in the valley was great, little groups working together, then all hell breaks loose. Record is Robin @ 45mins.

Where are you guys starting, glencree? Tough from there, straight into it!

I have always dreamed of running an open event on kippure. Start in enniskerry village, all the way to the top. Mass start. Top racers to total flappers. Market it as a challenge. Would you guys be interested?

I think we are starting inside the gate :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

kenmc wrote: »
    it's over an hour from dundrum. we probably need to be around 5:15 or eariler.
    Are we meeting up to head out there then? 5:15 suits me. This is the most direct route from Dundrum, just over 20km, shouldn't take much over an hour (it does go over a big hill before heading up Sally Gap mind.)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

That is the route I'm taking up too - I'll be starting a little later but will be there before 6:30.

It doesn't look too windy so about 1:05-1:10 should easily get you there at a handy enough pace.

Joe, I'd love to do something like that mass start race - in the US this year, I took part in a mass start race up Mount Hamilton. It was held on Thanksgiving morning and about 150 turned up! (I flatted a tubular half way up) 30 km with 1350 m of climb. None of it steep (mostly 5%) so everyone could complete it at various speeds.

A link to it here: http://lowkey.djconnel.com/2008/week9/

How hard would it be to setup some Saturday morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That is the route I'm taking up too - I'll be starting a little later but will be there before 6:30.
    Haha, I'm sure you will Ryan. We will try not to be too demoralised when you catch us.

I just did the same thing, found the same route.
    Wanna meet up at the corner of the dundrum shopping centre beside the balally luas stop (i.e. in front of the new RSA office) at 5:15 then - save you coming back down into the village from sandyford and then back up to ballinteer?

blorg wrote: »
    Haha, I'm sure you will Ryan. We will try not to be too demoralised when you catch us.
    True, but we can't be 100% certain that the box of thumb-tacks is not going to open....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Road bike is in pieces and I ain't cycled properly in nearly a month at this stage, so wouldn't be up to much competition. Be interested in wandering along though, could take photos as well. Anyone driving up via dundrum direction? Bonus points if you have a bike rack, I could bring the mtb and bring stuff up to the top if people wanted, along with camera and tripod.

Gavin wrote: »
    Road bike is in pieces and I ain't cycled properly in nearly a month at this stage, so wouldn't be up to much competition.

Pah, excuses.

I have space on the bike rack for the Kinesis :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

I'm driving up from Rathmichael but could be persuaded to swing by dundrum first. Planning on being up there about 6 or so.

Although I don't have a bike rack unfortunately...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Won't be able to make it on time now as I couldn't bring the bike into work with me today. I might take a spin out that direction later on and see if I can catch you all on your way home. What way do you think you'll be riding back?

el tonto wrote: »
    Won't be able to make it on time now as I couldn't bring the bike into work with me today. I might take a spin out that direction later on and see if I can catch you all on your way home. What way do you think you'll be riding back?

slowly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Lumen wrote: »
    Pah, excuses.

I have space on the bike rack for the Kinesis :)

Well... I do like riding that bike. If you're serious, then yeah ok, I'm on for it. I may have to vomit several times whilst ascending.

Having read the complete thread, is the whole timing thing sorted out? will we have someone on the top?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Well I'll come along if you all promise not to mock me because I'm using a hybrid, and I'm may do a 0km/h fall while trying to unclip my shoes :o
    I've got to drive from the northside of dublin so most of you cycling out will get there before me!

Well I'll come along if you all promise not to mock me because I'm using a hybrid, and I'm may do a 0km/h fall while trying to unclip my shoes :o
    I've got to drive from the northside of dublin so most of you cycling out will get there before me!
    No mocking.
    If you manage to take out some of the better climbers in that fall, there'll even be kudos :)

So, what about drafting etc? Within 7 meters, ya can't be behind the rider in front, should you happen to catch them.

Also, riders descending should give way to those going up, so be careful :)

Found this here:
    http://www.swordscc.bravehost.com/ClubLeague.html
    Time Trials -easy version of drafting rules:
    If you come up on another rider you have two choices:
    (1) To remain at least 7 meters behind the rider in front of you or
    (2)Attempt to pass the rider in front of you. If you attempt to pass, you have 15 seconds to do so. If you do not pass within 15 seconds you must drop back out of the 7 meter drafting zone. If your front wheel passes the front wheel of the person you are overtaking that person must drop back out of the 7 meter drafting zone. The passed rider must drop all the way out of the drafting zone before attempting to re-pass the rider ahead. 7 meters is about 21 feet or 3 bike lengths

Raam wrote: »
    If you come up on another rider...

Yeah, whatever.

I'm bringing my weighing scales, participation optional.

So, what about drafting etc? Within 7 meters, ya can't be behind the rider in front, should you happen to catch them.

On that kind of gradient, I don't think drafting is going to do anyone any good.

el tonto wrote: »
    On that kind of gradient, I don't think drafting is going to do anyone any good.

It always easier to follow a wheel though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

So, what about drafting etc?

I doubt you'll need to worry about drafting at the 15km/h most people will be doing.

Unfortunately, for me, I can't make it since I need to work.......... ah well life is like that.

Advertisement