Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kippure Time Trial

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »
    You saying he came after you?

A considerate man always does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

el tonto wrote: »
    A considerate man always does.

Arrggghhhh innuendo overload!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,112 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You saying he came after you?

No, I'm counting backwards from last place.

@Tonto: wrong, just wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

I am still bitter about blorg's readjustment that turned my 6 second advantage to a 5 deficit.
    can i discount the time it took to drop my phone into my jersey at the bottom after hitting start and the time it took to take it out at the top?

barrabus wrote: »
    can i discount the time it took to drop my phone into my jersey at the bottom after hitting start and the time it took to take it out at the top?

Yes.

So, what is your adjusted time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Yes.

So, what is your adjusted time?
    Haha, I am guessing it will be 11:45 :)

blorg wrote: »
    Haha, I am guessing it will be 11:45 :)

not sure but given blorg had an 11 second swing .. it would have to be in excess of 6 seconds..

let me go off and do some black box research and come back with something ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

not sure but given blorg had an 11 second swing .. it would have to be in excess of 6 seconds..

let me go off and do some black box research and come back with something ...

You two gents will have to settle this with a head to head race up Kippure.

Gavin wrote: »

I was gonna suggest a thumb war, but that's even better.

barrabus wrote:
    In fairness now it was not a "swing", I was clear it was "under" 11:57 as I only looked at my time after cycling on past everyone and falling off into the grass. I took the 11:46 directly from the GPS log of where I was passing the bollards.

th_20090331-Kippure-finish.jpg
    Gavin wrote: »
    I'll accept that challenge :)

• Advertisement

In fairness now it was not a "swing", I was clear it was "under" 11:57 as I only looked at my time after cycling on past everyone and falling off into the grass. I took the 11:46 directly from the GPS log of where I was passing the bollards.

I think I just heard the thick veneer of Blorgian good temperament starting to crack.

Lumen wrote: »
    I think I just heard the thick veneer of Blorgian good temperament starting to crack.

And they are arguing over 6th place.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

And they are arguing over 6th place.

Welcome to the world of racing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

th_20090331-Kippure-finish.jpg
    Look at that lads he took a bloody shortcut through the grass too!

the race of truth is not a head to head .. man against the clock.

code for Blorg has a much stronger sprint that me and he always usually sprints away from me at the top of the climb.

the race of truth is not a head to head .. man against the clock.

code for Blorg has a much stronger sprint that me and he always usually sprints away from me at the top of the climb.

Then ride away from him at the start :)

Then ride away from him at the start :)

if it was that simple would we be arguing over 5 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

When is the next meet ? I would love to head over and meet you all ?
    and I do like the TT's myself !!

Biker Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

3404266728_e4cc5dd249.jpg?v=0

Who's peeing behind the tree on the left? Should have been asked to provide a sample!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

went up this morning-14:48 :mad:-made a complete dog's dinner of it from start to finish!My cause was not helped by having to help some French guy extract his motorbike from the turf at the gate before I started.Still,no real excuse's,am a bit disappointed,was hoping to be sub 14 but ...c'est la vie :)
    Also am including a few photo's of the Mamore Gap in Donegal that I did on Tuesday night-A fabulous climb and descent.There are TT markings on this,if anyone is so inclined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I know the climb - the 2008 National champs were held there: http://ryansherlock.blogspot.com/2008/08/2008-national-hill-climb-championships.html

Rumor is that they will return there again this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

emty wrote: »
    Also am including a few photo's of the Mamore Gap in Donegal that I did on Tuesday night-A fabulous climb and descent.There are TT markings on this,if anyone is so inclined.

Great climb and great photo's !, when the ras went over it a few years ago one of the ambulances stalled half way up !!
    I heard that when it went up that before that cars were burning out gearboxes left right and centre :eek:

Did the hill climb champs go up the north or south way (ones full of switch backs the other is straight up)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

It went the switchbacks way - from the sea. Didn't get to preride it before the TT - maybe for the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Hi, chickened out of going up on the night, went up over Howth on way home instead to salve conscience. Wish I went now, reconed I wouldn't make it quickly enough from East Point - though it didn't stop Raam (what time did you leave East Point at?). I was thinking I'd give it a go of some sort when next in the area, (have never been up yet). Where did you take the time from and to - markers, poles? Last time I saw it I was just glad I'd made it up Sally Gap.......

Well done all and great photos, all looking well cool.
    Anyone up for the Ardattan 200 on Sunday - starts in Bray at 08:00?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055521340&highlight=events

Hi Cadex, I left East Point at 5.15 approx. I was last there.
    The start point is with your rear wheel touching the gate and the end point is the two stones bollards on either side of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

OK Great thanks. Great time posted by the way, will probably post twice that on my first go! Going to Ardattin Sunday?

Cadex wrote: »
    OK Great thanks. Great time posted by the way, will probably post twice that on my first go! Going to Ardattin Sunday?

Cheers mate. Quite a bit of catch up to keep pace with Ryan though.
    Won't be out on Sunday. Night out on Sat and wanna watch Flanders.

I'm not sure whether anyone is interested but...

I just got the "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" book through, and mapped my Kippure stats against the Power Profile Output table, which categorises riders according to W/Kg at 5 min, threshold etc.

According to this, I am at the middle of "Moderate e.g. cat. 4" (below which are "Fair e.g. cat 5" and "Untrained, e.g. non-racer").

Ryan is between "Excellent e.g. cat. 1" and "Exceptional e.g. domestic pro".

I understand that these numbers probably mean little in the give and take of road racing, but thought it might give some interesting context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Can you post the 5 categories and associated times for kippure, so we can all work out our level?

• Advertisement

I think he worked it out on power, which only Lumen and Ryan had for the climb.

Advertisement