Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kippure Time Trial

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Just wondering out loud. I know you can't draw many conclusions on a starting field of 16 people. But the three lads who came first were over 6ft tall. Now I know its all about power to weight ratio. Still, aren't the best climbers usually under 5'10? Are there any Colombians on boards?

Power to weight, as you say. The skinny whippet jockey build is arguably the best starting point for being a top climber, but you work with what you got. Señor Indurain was 6' 2". Lancey Baby is 5' 10", and had a sub-optimal weight for being a natural climber.

Doping issues aside, it's possible, within reason, to make big improvements based on whatever frame you now possess. That's what I tell myself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

Also, that climb is very short and a strong lad can just power over it... Cancellera would probably be as quick as the wippets up it. Based on a 10 minute time, it is only really stepp for 5-6 minutes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Also, that climb is very short and a strong lad can just power over it... Cancellera would probably be as quick as the wippets up it. Based on a 10 minute time, it is only really stepp for 5-6 minutes...

How long would it need to be to see real benefits from being light?
    Hope the collarbone heals OK for you. Saw your twitt-pics, looks nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

I have often heard about it going longer than 10 minutes but I don't really know... I know in MTB racing, you can have short power climbs (<1minute) that suit bigger riders and then the longer 5-10 minutes ones that really suit the smaller riders. I guess it is probably based around power at V02max/Anerobic power per kg... Once the climb goes (mostly) aerobic, the wippets rule...

Shoulder is sore and I'm still not sure how long for recovery. Hopefully I'll be able to use the Turbo by the weekend and maybe on the road 2 weeks after that. At this point I have to reevaluate my season goals and look at a few events a little later in the year. X-Rays are up here for anyone interested: http://ryansherlock.blogspot.com/2009/05/broken-collarbone.html I'm sick of my road rash on my back sticking to everything! yuk...

Today is the first day I can sorta type...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Raam wrote: »
    Need a flat TT
    Cardiovascular system says no. I have difficulty drafting my house mate who isn't a racing cyclist (nor does he train) on a flat road. So I won't be going near any flat TTs.
    I have often heard about it going longer than 10 minutes but I don't really know...
    Anyone up for a 40 minute time trial up some mountains? ...............ANYONE?? Kippure x 3 maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Shoulder is sore and I'm still not sure how long for recovery. Hopefully I'll be able to use the Turbo by the weekend and maybe on the road 2 weeks after that.

I am sorry to hear ... can you really get back on the bike after 3 weeks after a broken collarbone? Are you getting Lance's surgeon to fix you?
    i hope you get better soon.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Flat TTs I like... a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »

+1

Yes hmmm quite, how tall are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Just wondering out loud. I know you can't draw many conclusions on a starting field of 16 people. But the three lads who came first were over 6ft tall. Now I know its all about power to weight ratio. Still, aren't the best climbers usually under 5'10? Are there any Colombians on boards?
    They are also extremely skinny in fairness. Also there is a wide range of ability there, I imagine Ryan takes this cycling lark just a little more seriously than most of the rest of the group :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yes hmmm quite, how tall are you?

6ft2

blorg wrote: »
    They are also extremely skinny in fairness. Also there is a wide range of ability there, I imagine Ryan takes this cycling lark just a little more seriously than most of the rest of the group :)

ah yeah, i know you can't read anything from it. I was just more curious as to whether there was a small whippet a la Pantani (but without the drugs and plastic surgery) on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

6ft2

Thats how wide I am... only 5f10.. Lances height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,112 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FWIW, my rule of thumb is that every kg lost saves 7-8 seconds on Kippure. This obviously reduces the faster you go as wind resistance becomes more dominant.

I can't remember how I worked this out, but if accurate it means I need to weigh about 30kg to beat Ryan's time.

This demonstrates the obvious limitations of chasing power/weight through dieting. :)

Advertisement