Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best tent for us???

Options
  • 18-03-2009 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

hi,
    going to costa rica this summer, and hopefully going to camp to keep costs low.. it will be rainy season, so expecting lots of rain but hot weather, and a mosquito net therefore would be good although I can always buy one seperately. I have done alot of camping but have never had a good tent and have had rain dripping onto my face more often than not! Can any one recommend a good 2 man tent? I wouldnt mind slashing out a little if it was one that I could use in Ireland as id get plenty of use out of it, but would a good waterproof tent for here in ireland be too hot for camping over there? also, lightweight is a priority as we will be walking and carrying it..

anyone with any advice, experiences of camping in similar conditions, very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

Can't answer your question for tropical tents, but I find the upper-end range of Vango tents excellent. I'd swear by then for Irish camping in most weather, plus some have funky features like the fact you can have your tent door open, but keep a mosquito net zipped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Millets on the end of Henry St in Dublin carry a range of Gelert tents. These are usually knock offs ;)copies of much more expensive brands such as Vango and Coleman. Some are better than others but having bought one a few years ago I can vouch that they are well worth it.

Have been out in all sorts of weather and it's never let me down. Even outlived a Northface tent one of my friends has of the same age.

The downside is they tend to be slightly heavier and bulkier than the more expensive brands but i don't think this is that big an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

plus some have funky features like the fact you can have your tent door open, but keep a mosquito net zipped up.

All tents bar the likes of crappy Dunnes / Tesco ones have this

Advertisement