Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FM Radio Antenna on Roof Fed To TV Spiltter/Amplifier?

Options
  • 18-03-2009 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Don't know if this is the right place to ask this question. If not, a mod might move it to somewhere more appropriate?

I recently bought one of these:

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/slx-gold-6-way-signal-booster.html?id=XtzB2QQs

It's for sending my TV signal to a few locations round the house. It has an input for an FM antenna, and IIUC, the radio signal (as well as the TV signal) will be sent to all 6 outputs.

What do I need to buy/do to allow me to have one FM antenna, perhaps on the roof beside the TV aerial, and feed that signal to the sitting room and kitchen AVRs. The signal on the VSX-818 in the kitchen is poor to acceptable, but no better.

Or does my TV aerial already receive FM radio signal?

Thanks for any repiles,

Mark

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Your TV antenna won't receive VHF FM signals properly. Where are you located roughly and what FM stations are you trying to receive? If you are just interested in local stations, your TV antenna probably will do a good enough job for those (as a short piece of wire will pick up nearby local stations). However, if you are in say Dublin and you are interested in picking up UK stations from the north for example, you will need a band II VHF antenna specifically for the purpose.

Based on what you have bought, assuming there's a separate input for the VHF antenna, you should be able to just feed the amp from the antenna and take one of the outputs to your receiver. It's worth experimenting though - a direct feed can often be better, as it's less likely to be overloaded with strong local stations. I'm in Dublin with a clear view of Three Rock - if I put an amp in line between my VHF FM receiver and an antenna, I'd just get a big mush of noise as the multiple transmissions from Three Rock are very strong in my area.

Something like this might be all you need to receive local stations in Dublin on your receiver, it'll save you climbing roofs (or paying someone to do it) and cable runs etc.. Something like this would be required to receive more distant stations, and mounted either in the attic or outside as high up as possible. After that, you are looking at a yagi type of antenna which is directional.

This is a good read:
    http://www.aerialsandtv.com/fmanddabradio.html#ATVsChoiceOfFM&DABAerials

Advertisement