Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do people fail co-op?

Options
  • 18-03-2009 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3 narida

Just wondering does it ever happen that people fail co-op because their report was not up to scratch? Not that mine was bad but ah ... :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Not that I know of, I know a few people who left doing their report until 4th year though and had to do it along with their FYP etc. If I remember correctly you can't graduate if you haven't done it.

I've heard of situations where companies have sent people away because they weren't up to scratch though (this was from the manager who did the sending away too). So it is possible to fail co-op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Short answer is yes. If you get fired then you will fail. There was a story about 2 lads on co-op in Galway and at their christmas party they went into the kitchen in the hotel it was being held and accidentally let €2000 worth of cooking oil in a tank out on the floor.

A friend of mine was on co-op in a company that went bust 3 months into it. He didn't fail as those circumstances couldn't be helped.

I've never heard of anyone failing because of their co-op report. As long as it meets the requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I know of somebody who failed their co-op report.
    It didnt meet the requirements, which is strange but apparently it can happen.
    The person had to redo the report twice more before they accepted it.

So, yes it can happen, and as the lads have pointed out, you can fail co-op also by being **** at your job, and getting sacked!!

Fail Co-op? Bull****. The places I was at they were desperate for people. In America for a telesales job I told them I was leaving and I got all this "you signed a contract" bull****. UL fail people and lose the money they're getting? You're having a laugh.

Fail Co-op? Bull****. The places I was at they were desperate for people. In America for a telesales job I told them I was leaving and I got all this "you signed a contract" bull****. UL fail people and lose the money they're getting? You're having a laugh.

I don't think UL make any money out of co-op. Yes it is possible to fail, I don't have any reason to believe my manager when I was on co-op was bs'ing me when he said he'd sent people back because they were ****e.

And yes like it or not when you start a job you do sign a contract which you should live up to as long as the company lives up to their end of it.

• Advertisement

rmacm wrote: »
    I don't think UL make any money out of co-op.
    I didn't mean from co-op (although there must be something in it for them). I mean failing a student and losing them altogether and the fees they pay for the whole 4 years.

Also I know of someone who said they were organising their own co-op in Germany, stayed at home and passed no problem. Nobody checked up or anything.
    Yes it is possible to fail, I don't have any reason to believe my manager when I was on co-op was bs'ing me when he said he'd sent people back because they were ****e.

Your manager was probably just telling you that so you'd work harder. In reality he hasn't got a leg to stand on.

I didn't mean from co-op (although there must be something in it for them). I mean failing a student and losing them altogether and the fees they pay for the whole 4 years.

As far as I know co-op is fairly standardised now to 3rd year in most courses, some still might have it in 2nd year. So by this time the college has already gotten 2 or 3 years worth of registration fees out of students. So they're not losing out on 4 years worth of fees.

Students fail years all the time and still come back to college to repeat why can't it be the same case for co-op?
    Also I know of someone who said they were organising their own co-op in Germany, stayed at home and passed no problem. Nobody checked up or anything.

To be honest that's pretty dishonest, granted UL should have checked up on him or at least verified that he was actually working for whoever he said he was working for. What benefit did he get out of staying at home? Did he work and make some money? Hell I'd take 8 months in Germany over staying here.
    Your manager was probably just telling you that so you'd work harder. In reality he hasn't got a leg to stand on.

You have no idea who my manager was and no basis for the above. I happen to know the man quite well so I sincerly doubt he was bull****ting. A leg to stand on in what respect? The contract you sign which sets out the terms and conditions of your employment does give them a leg to stand on so they can fire people for being ****e.

Hell I'd take 8 months in Germany over staying here.

Not if you couldn't speak German you wouldn't
    You have no idea who my manager was and no basis for the above. I happen to know the man quite well so I sincerly doubt he was bull****ting. A leg to stand on in what respect? The contract you sign which sets out the terms and conditions of your employment does give them a leg to stand on so they can fire people for being ****e.

Can you define "****e" please? Who defines it? So you're sent on a job you try your best and they can "fail" you if they want? Yeah right :rolleyes:

Not if you couldn't speak German you wouldn't

I would actually, I work with people who have spent a year plus in germany and have gotten by and the only German they knew was the equivalent of "pint please". I'm in Cairo at the moment for a month and I don't speak Arabic but I'll survive.
    Can you define "****e" please? Who defines it? So you're sent on a job you try your best and they can "fail" you if they want? Yeah right :rolleyes:

Usually the company you're working for e.g. you don't know enough to perform your duties or your just plain incompetent. The company doesn't fail you the college does. But companies are well within their rights to dismiss you if you can't do the job (within the constraints of the law of course). If I remember correctly the contract I had stated I could be dismissed within the first 6 months of my employment for any reason.

Anyway I think we're getting away from the original question "Is it possible to fail co-op based on a crap report" and the answer is yes it is possible most people who have posted here know people who it has happened to.

Now I'm going for a pint so if I do reply later I may well be **** faced.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Now I'm going for a pint so if I do reply later I may well be **** faced.

Please don't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

Do the Co-Op Office even read the reports? I know one person whose report topped thirty pages. Considering they get hundreds of them...Hmmm. I have this massive conspiracy theory built in my head over this!

I would actually, I work with people who have spent a year plus in germany and have gotten by and the only German they knew was the equivalent of "pint please". I'm in Cairo at the moment for a month and I don't speak Arabic but I'll survive.
    Nonsense utter nonsense. As someone who did live and work in Germany for 6 months then you'll need to have a good handle on the language to survive.

rmacm wrote:
    Usually the company you're working for e.g. you don't know enough to perform your duties or your just plain incompetent. The company doesn't fail you the college does. But companies are well within their rights to dismiss you if you can't do the job (within the constraints of the law of course). If I remember correctly the contract I had stated I could be dismissed within the first 6 months of my employment for any reason.

More nonsense. I've heard of people going in drunk and getting sent home and not being failed. As for incompetance I've seen extreme examples of that as well and nothing been done.

If you fail co-op you fail at life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

being sent home != being told not to come in again ie. fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

van your talking crap

just like every other module in the college its possible to fail it

2 lads from mmpt last year were down for doing coop in cyprus iirc and annette sent someone over to check up on them and turns out they were just doing bar work. coop failed / cancelled and they had to do modules in college that september to be able to continue your course

of course a company can fire you if your not up to the job

i imagine the college does benefit from a nice registration fee for a semester your not going to be in the college so that could be seen as a benefit but as for them never failing anyone thats crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Apparently the company I am on co-op with turfed out a co-op student a few years back for breach of company policy. He got his three warnings and after that was gone, failed co-op, having to repeat the year.

Nonsense utter nonsense. As someone who did live and work in Germany for 6 months then you'll need to have a good handle on the language to survive.

Hmmm not so because I sit beside two of these people at work and they did survive. I'm not really interested in getting into an argument of word against word but the evidence stands for itself in my case.
    More nonsense. I've heard of people going in drunk and getting sent home and not being failed. As for incompetance I've seen extreme examples of that as well and nothing been done.

If you fail co-op you fail at life.

I've gone to work on plenty of occassion bolloxed drunk (on co-op and since I've left college) and there's few people on the forum that will attest to this. I've survived because I can manage to function just abotu. Just because you've seen nothing done doesn't neccesarily mean that other people haven't been fired/sent back to college due to incompetence etc.

Advertisement