Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and worst decades for music?

Options
  • 18-03-2009 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

best-60s-hendrix, the beatles, the rolling stones, the doors, the kinks etc...
    worst-90s......boybands.....need i say more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,994 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Best-80's-Bon Jovi, AC/DC, Guns n Roses, other random epic ballads
    Worst-90's-Girl bands, boybands.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'll differ and say 90's as one of the best. Don't forget, the 80s and 60s had their fair share of crap music too. Yeah, bad stuff in the 90s such as boybands, but then again, Pearl Jam, alice in Chains, QotSA...I'm not gonna complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

Mushy wrote: »
    I'll differ and say 90's as one of the best. Don't forget, the 80s and 60s had their fair share of crap music too. Yeah, bad stuff in the 90s such as boybands, but then again, Pearl Jam, alice in Chains, QotSA...I'm not gonna complain.

yeah....the 90s did have nirvana to be fair:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

best = 60,s although every decade bar one has had pretty good stuff which was unique to that decade bar one again

worst = this one without a doubt , dominated by hip hop but over comercilised phoney hip hop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

A toss up between the 60s and 70s. 00s take the biscuit for worst decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

its all good sure I would imagine we all have many liked bands in each decade so therefore it'd be hard to say which is the worst and best,I personally would say each decade is great in its own way for music,im not gonna list who I like throughout each decade but think about it no matter what in each decade some artist you like is bound to have brought out an album,there's bound to be crap out there also,heck if there wasnt what a **** world it'd be,everyone would listen to the same but sure each to their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd say now is the best, because we have all the music of the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and this decade's music available to us. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Sorry, but I think this thread is a bit meaningless and says nothing about the music per se, because generally people think the decade they grew up in is/was the best. Ask a twelve year old, back in the 90's, which was the best decade, and chances are they'll say the 90's......... because of boy and girl bands.

I rest my case. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Dont agree with the previous poster, a lot of us wish we were born in a different decade coz we love the music then so much!
    I know its a cliche but I think music nowadays is fairly crap, and aside from a couple of classics (Songs for the Deaf by QOTSA springs to mind) this decade has been awful for music.

My favourite would have to be the 90's, people say that decade had boybands but so did the 60s (monkees) and now!(westlife,girls aloud - a girl band i know but still!etc), it did have the genius of Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, a decent solo Chris Cornell, Radiohead bursting onto the scene, Pearl Jam, Kyuss, best of Chili Peppers etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

So, was music invented in 1960 then?

What about the 1780s? Mozart.

For me the 1970s (for the BBC panel of experts also) is best, Lou Reed, T Rex, Bowie, Abba, Hot Chocolate, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, ELO, ELP, The Who, the Floyd, Elton John, Led Zep, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Buzzcocks, Pistols, Clash, Stranglers, Ramones and on and on........

Worst for me 1820s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Best was the 70's for me, Zeppelin and Lizzy, are enough to solidify that decade for me.
    Worst was the 90s. Boybands, Bob Rock era Metallica and the birth of nu-metal are enough to make me want to forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

The 1970s and 1980s are my personal favourites. The 1990s were generally dire but had some great moments - Radiohead for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

This decade is definitely the worst for me.Plenty of good stuff but nothing great.Pop music has completely lost it.

The sixties were the best.The Beatles alone justify that decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭andy1249

best-60s-hendrix

And hendrix had to tour second on the bill to the Monkees , one of the first boy bands , a made for TV act !!

Every Decade had a top ten full of rubbish , even the 70's had the likes of Mud , the Sweet , Slade , etc ,

Bands like Zeppelin and the Floyd wouldnt release singles in the UK because they didnt want to be associated with that muck !
    The only reason it seems like a good decade now is because only the good stuff survives , the rest has long since disappeared from the bargain bins.

It will be the same for all the other decades and This one , the good stuff will be kept and the trash soon forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Glassheart wrote: »
    This decade is definitely the worst for me.Plenty of good stuff but nothing great.Pop music has completely lost it.

The sixties were the best.The Beatles alone justify that decade.

I agree about the Beatles and the 60's.

I aslo agree about this decade, but only if you are referring to music on the radio. There is lots of great contempory music around today if you look for it. Just because it does not get air play does not mean it does not exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Worst? - That's easy: This one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Rigsby wrote: »
    I agree about the Beatles and the 60's.

I aslo agree about this decade, but only if you are referring to music on the radio. There is lots of great contempory music around today if you look for it. Just because it does not get air play does not mean it does not exist.

for music on the radio or chart hits , the 80,s was the best , one dimmensional and shallow in many ways but so catchy none the less

now that i think of it , the 80,s was pretty cool , you had the smiths , u2 when they were actually decent , michael jackson and madonna when they were decent too , you also had a lot of irish bands and unlike nowadays , the majority of them were not ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

I'm suprised at the number of people choosing the 90's as their worst decade.

Radiohead
    Oasis
    Jeff Buckley
    My Bloody Valentine
    Nirvana
    Pearl Jam
    Soundgarden
    U2
    REM
    Alice In Chains
    Tool
    The Verve
    Elliot Smith
    Janes Addiction
    Blur
    Beck
    Primal Scream
    Air

I think all of the above have a delivered at least one classic album during the 90's.Honourable mentions to The Stone Roses & The La's who released their debuts at the very tail end of the 80's.
    A lot of great pop music in the 90's too.How many boy bands these days could write a song like Back for Good?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Thats all well and good if you like indie or alternate rock etc as I see most of you do. which would make the 90s one of the best decades by far. but not for that reason for me as it was all about dance music and hiphop, the golden period baby. will never ever be be the same again the birth and death of both genres as far as im concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Best for me is the 90's and 2000's, worst would be the 80's, dominated by tack and aesthetic.

The 90's gave us Radiohead's The Bends, Ok Computer and Kid A (released in 2000... but sure they got better in the 2000's, Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works and his early acid stuff, Mogwai's Come on Die Young, Nas' Illmatic, Wu Tang's 36th Chamber, Daft Punk's Homework, Elliott Smith, Blur, Nine Inch Nails.

But the 2000s have been great as well, maybe not as much in the ways of new scenes (I can only think of Dubstep and Breakcore really) but there've still been amazing and important releases from the likes of Godspeed You Black Emperor, MF DOOM, Mos Def, the WARP label, Air and indeed a lot of trip hop groups but artist's like Radiohead and NiN are making innovative music, it's been the decade of new media and perhaps that's just as important, how easy it is to aquire large amounts of music these days can only be good for the art of music, hopefully the stranglehold that labels had will continue to loosen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement