Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teach how they got it wrong to get it right

Options
  • 18-03-2009 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

how creationsim should be thought
    http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009/03/how_creationism_should_be_taug.php
    The way I actually teach genetics is essentially a temporal series of criticisms. I start with Darwin's pangenesis for a little historical background, and tell them this is wrong, and here's why, criticizing it on the basis of it's ad hoc nature and its failure to fit experimental observations. Then I introduce Mendel, and we see his view of particulate, quantifiable inheritance, and how it superseded Darwin, and then I show how parts of it are wrong, with experiments that show how it fails, which leads into linkage. And then I show how some of our initial concepts of chromosomal inheritance are wrong, with work done on extrachromosomal factors. Step by step, we build a case for a complex and detailed understanding of the rules of heredity by experiment…where even the experiments that go "wrong" (that is, don't show us the results we expected from existing theory) help us acquire a deeper understanding of the process.

this ain't no easy way.

reasons why this is not the best pzmeyers post ever....
    Tagged:

Advertisement