Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vodafone live - sneaky charges

• 18-03-2009 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

hi,

I have a SE C902 on a vodafone contract. It has a vodafone live short cut on the same button that is used to lock the phone (after pressing *) which is just above the call termination button.

This seems designed to catch people out by pressing it by accident - and so rack up the data charges. So far this has happened 5 times where I was not able to cancel in time & have been charged (usually I notice the connection attempt and can cancel in time).

How can I get this removed? I've contacted customer support who say they can't do anything. Fair enough if its not on the script of fixable customer problems for call centre staff, but vodafone set this up and vodafone can remove it. There was no joy when I requested to talk to someone who does know about this - only a suggestion to talk to the manufacturer! Its not a SE issue, but rather with vodafone sw/firmware.

I don't want to go down the debranding road yet. I'd prefer to get it sorted with vodafone. It can't be right that an operator can trick their customers to increase revenue, can it?

As a temporary measure I've recently deleted the internet settings, but thats not satisfactory. Its the short cut I want removed not internet access.

My question here is can anyone help me to frame the request correctly to vodafone?
    What should I ask for specificically and who (what department) in vodafone can make these changes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It is designed to increase the networks revenue. Try this as a solution for you.

++ edit - forgot to post the link LOL

http://swisscobalt.blogspot.com/2007/06/how-to-disable-internet-button-in-k800i.html

++ edit 2 - more info
    This solution doesn't get rid of the button but it makes sure when you press it by mistake that you won't be charged and also allows your internet to remain enabled on your handset :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 laughingtoaster

thanks thats what I want - internet connection when I choose.

I'm assuming this is network controlled as the shortcut label is "live", a vodafone term, not general internet access.

plus my niece has the same phone with a different operator and she does not have the same fixed shortcut.

What the link I sent you to does is tell you how to change the home page for your internet browsing. The internet button on my k800i brings you to the home page for your internet connection. I'm assuming on the Vodafone branded c902 it's similiar but not familiar exactly with the Vodafone one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Random wrote: »
    What the link I sent you to does is tell you how to change the home page for your internet browsing. The internet button on my k800i brings you to the home page for your internet connection. I'm assuming on the Vodafone branded c902 it's similiar but not familiar exactly with the Vodafone one.

Yeah, can't you make 'bookmarks' your startpage? In the browsersettings?

strecker wrote: »
    Yeah, can't you make 'bookmarks' your startpage? In the browsersettings?
    Don't have a c902 to hand to check and k800i is out of battery :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I thought browsing to the Vodafone Live! Portal page was free, no ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I dont think its vodafone being sneaky. Its just a quick key into the phones browser. 3 use the same key to launch planet 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

O2 and meteor have similiar on their handsets.

It's all designed so users can get on the web as fast as possible. This means they'll spend more money. This means the networks make more money. Different networks customise it in different ways but at the end of the day the main focus appears to be money. Can't blame them.

People need to start to accept that mobile services cost money.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭frankymail

O2 and meteor have similiar on their handsets.

It's all designed so users can get on the web as fast as possible. This means they'll spend more money. This means the networks make more money. Different networks customise it in different ways but at the end of the day the main focus appears to be money. Can't blame them.

People need to start to accept that mobile services cost money.

TRUE but operators shouldn't have to cheat and be sneaky in order for customers to hand over or in this case loose their mula! If they want customers to use Mobile Internet more they need to create and provide top quality and competitive services which attract consumers to use it without feeling ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,251 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

-Phuqer- wrote: »
    Is the Vodafone live free?

it'll cost you 15cent when you hit the live homepage....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

It is designed to increase the networks revenue. Try this as a solution for you.

++ edit - forgot to post the link LOL

http://swisscobalt.blogspot.com/2007/06/how-to-disable-internet-button-in-k800i.html

++ edit 2 - more info
    This solution doesn't get rid of the button but it makes sure when you press it by mistake that you won't be charged and also allows your internet to remain enabled on your handset :)

How could you have known that.Top marks.** The most unlikely of things to have such a knowledge about.

I have read that website and it seems that there are quite a few other models that create the same problem. People must literally pay for their lack of technical knowledge. I have the Samsung pixon and there is thankfully none of these gimmicks but it is a touchscreen so if its not locked when sloshing around my bag then anything could happen even vodaphone live, It would be purely chance if it did happen alot, but then it could be an extremely advanced form of engineered statistics to make the phone arrive at vodaphone live through a series of difficult commutations.

How could you have known that.Top marks.** The most unlikely of things to have such a knowledge about.
    I have no life, no friends, no family. I live on Boards. :)

While I agree that maybe it is a little unfair to be making it so easy for people to spend money ... it's easy to call numbers by mistake too if you forget to put the keylock on. I think people need to take more responsbility for their own actions and be aware of the technology they're buying and how it operates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 laughingtoaster

Its not a question of forgetting to put the keylock on. This often happens when I am putting the keylock on - its the same button that is used for the keylock and the vodafone live shortcut.

I've never accidently called numbers - that requires pressing a sequence of buttons, a single button press won't do it (on my phone anyway).

The reason I think its sneaky is that you cannot remove the shortcut in the phone settings and vodafone will not remove the shortcut when requested.

I'm all in favour of shortcuts & its probably fair enough that something like this is setup as a default, but it should be easy to change in the settings for shortcuts.

Randoms suggestion is good and I probably should have thought of it myself - I guess I was too caught up in my indignation :)

Its not a question of forgetting to put the keylock on. This often happens when I am putting the keylock on - its the same button that is used for the keylock and the vodafone live shortcut.
    My comments about making a call by mistake and whatever were unrelated to your situation with the keylock and was ment to be a general example sorta ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

My comments about making a call by mistake and whatever were unrelated to your situation with the keylock and was meant to be a general example sorta ..

No worries random. Your first post was a peach. Thanks

Advertisement