Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Brooding Corner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I'm really not looking forward to Christmas this year. A neighbour of our's who strolls into our house three to four times A DAY has somehow managed to invite himself to Christmas dinner. I do feel sorry for him to a certain extent because he lives alone but his brother lives five minutes down the road and his sister lives about half an hour away. I'm really getting sick of him. It was meant to be my family, my Granny and my uncle and now it's just going to be so awkward and I won't enjoy dinner or the entire day at all. It would be fine if it was just dinner but he's going to be there for the whole day and like he does every time he's in the house, hes going to treat it like his own. I'm fed up of it. He doesn't even ring the f**king doorbell anymore, he just opens the gate and strolls in through the back door. Doesn't matter what we're doing, who's in the house, what time it is. It just feels like he's there the whole f**king time. I came in from work the other night, wrecked, at 8pm and he was sitting sprawled on the armchair in front of the television, his coat was on the floor and he had made himself tea. My mother is driven demented with him but my father has seemingly decided that it's fine. It doesn't feel like our home anymore, it's like open house. It's ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

do the same to him a few times, all of you pop over to his house for an evening, see how he likes it.

Could understand it if he had no family around, but brother & sister close by :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I'm really not looking forward to Christmas this year. A neighbour of our's who strolls into our house three to four times A DAY has somehow managed to invite himself to Christmas dinner. I do feel sorry for him to a certain extent because he lives alone but his brother lives five minutes down the road and his sister lives about half an hour away. I'm really getting sick of him. It was meant to be my family, my Granny and my uncle and now it's just going to be so awkward and I won't enjoy dinner or the entire day at all. It would be fine if it was just dinner but he's going to be there for the whole day and like he does every time he's in the house, hes going to treat it like his own. I'm fed up of it. He doesn't even ring the f**king doorbell anymore, he just opens the gate and strolls in through the back door. Doesn't matter what we're doing, who's in the house, what time it is. It just feels like he's there the whole f**king time. I came in from work the other night, wrecked, at 8pm and he was sitting sprawled on the armchair in front of the television, his coat was on the floor and he had made himself tea. My mother is driven demented with him but my father has seemingly decided that it's fine. It doesn't feel like our home anymore, it's like open house. It's ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/rant

You and your mum could create enough noise to bring your dad to his senses- sounds like she's as frustrated as you sound- strength in numbers?

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    do the same to him a few times, all of you pop over to his house for an evening, see how he likes it.

Could understand it if he had no family around, but brother & sister close by :confused:

He lives two doors away. I could understand him calling even a couple of times a week but three to four times a day is taking the p*ss. He calls at 10, 12, 5 and 8. Every. Bloody. Day. Thing is, if we did that he'd have none of it!
    You and your mum could create enough noise to bring your dad to his senses- sounds like she's as frustrated as you sound- strength in numbers?

We could. She's at the end of her tether. My mam told him that my Granny would be coming and he said, and I quote, "Ah that's grand, sure it doesn't matter to me who's here." Jesus. I'm wondering if he just doesn't realise he's being ignorant or he does realise and doesn't give a monkeys. This is probably going to be my Granny's last Christmas. She barely knows us at this stage, physically she's fine but she's in the very very late stages of Alzheimer's. My mam will have to feed her Christmas dinner and eat her own in the evening. I don't know whether to be :( or :mad:

Right on cue. Opened the back gate and strolled in through the back door and sat himself down about two minutes ago. F**king ridiculous. I'm staying upstairs until he goes. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

/rant

That **** ain't right Christmas dinner should be for family & relatives ONLY. Politely tell him to rev up & f**k off, how would he like it if you made yourself an unwanted guest in his house,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

/rant

You say he has a brother and sister not too far away. Do you know if he gets on with them?

Regardless if he does or not I think it's out of order inviting himself over for Christmas dinner especially with your grandmother being there. Ask him would he not prefer to go to his siblings for Christmas. If he starts spouting some ****e excuse tell him straight out then that you would prefer he did go to his siblings and explain to him that it's a little hard for you guys this Christmas. If your mother is on the same page as you I would get her to say it to him, she's one of the heads of household but be there to back her up!

Your dad is only all right with it because he probably feels sorry for him and doesn't want to create drama. But being a little too passive about it is only going to make things worse. C.K said to create a bit of noise about it and if I were in your shoes xPPx I'd be doing a little more than making noise, that's for sure.

My dad is alright with it because he doesn't care, as far as he's concerned our house is a f**king open house. The more the merrier like. This neighbour is taking the absolute p1ss. My mam was saying he's literally there everytime she eats. 10am porridge - he's there, 12pm lunch - in he walks, 5pm dinner - he has himself parked on the armchair beside the TV (which has to be turned down). He's there at 8 when she has tea. At least I'm working for the next few weeks. Even still, no matter what shift I'm on he'll be there when I get in from work. I'm at my wits end. It's not my place to say anything but if it was there's no way in hell he'd be there Christmas Day. He usually goes to his sister on Christmas Day anyway! :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Get out the bear traps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

it is totally your place to say something! Drop hints when he's there, say how much you're looking forward to spending xmas with the FAMILY..start locking the back door and if there isnt one then get one! just straight up say it to him. its your home too and if your dad isn't bothered then he won't care what you say to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

We often have annoying blow ins at our Christmas dinner, my mam had a heart of gold and wouldn't stand for anyone being alone at Christmas so will ask anyone to join us for the day. We used to call it the lonely hearts club cause often it was her friends who were single or recently divorced and would have some moan to each other. This one guy used to come with his mam and drive me and my sister mad!

But then he said it really made his year coming over and having a family Christmas with us since his family broke up and then i was happy we had all these people over. Cause even if it wasn't my ideal Christmas, people wouldn't come to a non family Christmas if they had a family Christmas of their own, so if it made them happy to come then that's great! Just gotta make the best of it really. Nobody can ruin a day unless you allow them to have that affect on you. Make plans for what to do after dinner and such you'll have a good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Right on cue. Opened the back gate and strolled in through the back door and sat himself down about two minutes ago. F**king ridiculous. I'm staying upstairs until he goes. :mad:

You'll need to assert yourselves a little- you have enough real reasons and rights without having to resort to making anything up.

1. Your gran is ill- you all need space so if he is coming on Christmas Day, it will be at an appointed time for an agreed duration.
    2. Christmas is coming- ye all have a lot to do- therefore you need some space to get your work completed- so, see you in a few days buddy.

Since it's your parents house you won't be able to do this on your own- you at least need your mum to come on board with you. Your dad may listen but you need to speak to him clearly an express your concerns- all this might just be going totally over his head so state it clearly but without aggression- he may well listen.

I don't know. Something will have to be done. I'm at my wit's end. I didn't want to come home tonight :(

Being a weird few days. Everyone at work keeps asking if I have put up my Christmas tree and decorations but I can't as we're in mourning this year and in the last few days she's being on my mind a lot. She being my mother in law who died earlier this year :( I know I only knew for two years but still, she was like my second mother. And I feel really awful for my OH as he has to spend his first Christmas without his mom and I have to go home to Tipp to see my family. I really don't have Christmas joy at all. Can't wait until the ****ing thing is over and done with :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

can relate to how you feel m:( cousin passed away shortly after Christmas last year. It happened with no warming so we were all pretty shook up. Gonna be missing his presence at the dinner table this year, so will feel very strange. My mom baked a cake in his memory. His son isn't coming to visit us at christmas either because he's acting strange and is paranoid of leaving the house in case it gets broken into. He lives on his own with no friends so wouldn't like him to be on his own at this time of year, but he's made up his mind and can't do much about it. Gonna ring him on christmas day and see how he is. I'm normally like a little kid at christmas with excitement but this year feel a bit meh about it:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Sore throat and it's making me gasp for breath. :(:( So so fed-up of this thing. :(

Was in a car crash the other night. While no body was hurt, I am still in and out of shock. Taking it easy for the next few days at my parents place but I am 127 miles away from my OH and I don't get to see him until the 27th, which is pissing me off big time. I love him to bits and I can't stand being away from him :( I can't properly relax while he's not here with me :( I am so ****ing torn :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    Was in a car crash the other night. While no body was hurt, I am still in and out of shock. Taking it easy for the next few days at my parents place but I am 127 miles away from my OH and I don't get to see him until the 27th, which is pissing me off big time. I love him to bits and I can't stand being away from him :( I can't properly relax while he's not here with me :( I am so ****ing torn :(

:( that's sh1t. Sorry to hear you're in & out of shock, it's a funny (not ha ha) one, can really mess with your head being in shock.
    This day next week you'll be back with him. Is there any way one of you could do an overnight visit even? Might help you relax, get a proper rest after the accident.
    Hope you're feeling better soon.

liliq wrote: »
    :( that's sh1t. Sorry to hear you're in & out of shock, it's a funny (not ha ha) one, can really mess with your head being in shock.
    This day next week you'll be back with him. Is there any way one of you could do an overnight visit even? Might help you relax, get a proper rest after the accident.
    Hope you're feeling better soon.

It's a bad bastard. I had the shakes earlier and my brother didn't know what the hell was wrong with me. I felt like crying at one stage and I couldn't even tell anyone why. It is the shock but it's the separation anxiety coupled with it aswel. I know my family mean well by bringing me home after the crash but I am so attached to the OH, we're a team, us against the world. Our plan was that I come home to Tipp on the 23rd and he follow me up the 26th but after the crash my dad bought me home Wednesday night. As I said I know my family mean well but I am not used to being this length of time away from himself. I think my head is messed up after everything.

And I know OH would come up but with no transport he can't :(

Can you Skype him? It's nice to chat and be able to see a face.

• Advertisement

Can you Skype him? It's nice to chat and be able to see a face.

I know I am making this sound like a more desperate situation than it is but unfortunately I can't as he has no internet, he's in his fathers place for the Christmas and has no lap top/ PC. I ring and text him every chance I get and he does the same but I am after throwing nearly €40 of credit into phone since Wednesday evening and I have run out. We're different networks :( My dad has a sim free phone that works so I am going to buy a sim card for Vodafone and get him to ring me then as he has free calls to Vodafone.

Awh Mozzeltoff, I hope you're okay. ((hugs)) x

Ah no I understand! Me and my boyfriend have apps on our phone so we can chat all day, feels weird if there's a dead battery or something and we are out of contact for a while. Especially when he goes home to his family, he gets bad reception and I go a bit mad!

It's hard for you now cause it's Christmas and you've had a tough time. Do your houses have landline phones you can do calls on, usual free!

Awh Mozzeltoff, I hope you're okay. ((hugs)) x
    Ah no I understand! Me and my boyfriend have apps on our phone so we can chat all day, feels weird if there's a dead battery or something and we are out of contact for a while. Especially when he goes home to his family, he gets bad reception and I go a bit mad!

It's hard for you now cause it's Christmas and you've had a tough time. Do your houses have landline phones you can do calls on, usual free!

Thanks xPPx :) I'll be grand again!

I got the sim card anyway and the phone is working away. Just gave him a ring to see how he is. It's hard on him too. He's not sleeping right and keeps waking expecting to find me there. He said he might come up the 26th. He got a new car since yesterday and has the insurance sorted and log book is sent so there's a chance he can come up! Things are starting to look up (FINALLY)

Thanks guys, it helps talking about it here, you guys are awesome!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Sorry to hear that Mozzeltoff.....hope you're okay!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I want to go for a walk but it's cooolllldddd

On another note, sick of people not replying to my messages

I know the feeling loubian

In other news, I'm beginning to think people are being paid to irritate me! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Couples who have a joint Facebook account annoy the **** out of me, why would couples even want a joint account, they lead completely separate & different lifes, and NOT EVERYBODY NEEDS OR WANTS TO KNOW THAT YOU'RE DATING EACH OTHER

Do a lot of people do that? I'd be a little bit annoyed if someone I was seeing asked me to do that to be quite honest. I'd feel like he was trying to keep an eye on me and watch who I was talking to etc. I was the opposite with my ex, he didn't want to put our relationship on Facebook, he never even replied to comments I made on stuff on his page. In one way I understood but after a while I ended up feeling like he was ashamed of me in some ways.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Couples who have a joint Facebook account annoy the **** out of me, why would couples even want a joint account, they lead completely separate & different lifes, and NOT EVERYBODY NEEDS OR WANTS TO KNOW THAT YOU'RE DATING EACH OTHER

I hate that bull****. It's pure attention seeking. "LOOK AT US! WE'RE TOGETHER! WE'RE THE BEST COUPLE IN THE WHOLE WORLD!" I know of one couple who have joined their accounts together but I beg the question is there some form of trust issue at hand. There has to be. Why else would you do it? That and you're whipped!

Advertisement