Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Brooding Corner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

thanks for the support lads:) cheered me up somewhat. I think this is the fifth family member/relation that has suffered cancer, so it kinda hits a raw nerve for me!
    Trying to keep positive ( and cgh I don't like whiskey that much) but thanks anyway:) She hasn't seemed to be phrased too much by the medical stuff ( the operation, tests etc) so think that's a good sign.

just a quick update, she had an operation at the weekend ( to remove fluid from her brain) she's doing ok, a bit sore but her character is still shinning through. She starts treatment at the end of the month. Again thanks for your support lads over the last few days, you're all lovely :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Great news, smiler! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

Good to hear, hope news is better and better...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

I'm terribly homesick :(:(:(
    The good thing is that I get a flight home tomorrow, the bad thing is that I need to be back on Monday for another week :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm terribly homesick :(:(:(
    The good thing is that I get a flight home tomorrow, the bad thing is that I need to be back on Monday for another week :(

Keep the chin up lady c,tomorrows bubbly day :-D :cool: ;)

You're right :):)
    ... and I happen to know there's a bottle in the fridge at home just waiting for me to come back :o:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

You're right :):)
    ... and I happen to know there's a bottle in the fridge at home just waiting for me to come back :o:)

\0/

Ok. I has more brood, mostly down to my own insecurity but also because of people's presumptions....

I wrote (and published) a novel about a boy with a wicked, abusive stepfather a few years ago. It's a really cruel story, with friendship and love sprinkled it in. Ever since, I've been so ashamed over my first published piece, even though, in itself it should've been the proudest moment ever. People think it's biographical because of the serious topic. My mother was conceded about what people would think when they saw it and it turns out she was right. That's btw the only feedback I got from her.

I suffered, I fought and I smiled with (and for) the characters. I worked for years. It was my biggest writing project ever. I was so proud... and now I feel so ashamed (still!) and wish it would go away and unpublish itself :(:(:(:(

Advice anyone? :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

This isn't what i'd call advice, but Lady C if you were happy with what you wrote/published, then hold your head up high and be proud of said published work, who gives a flying **** what other's thought, hater's gonna hate & whatnot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Ah lady C you shouldnt feel ashamed! Is there any negative comments along with people saying they think it actually happened?
    I would try to look at it positively and say that its a good thing, clearly you have great writing skills and your fiction has been written so well that it is believable as truth. You know its not biographical, and really thats all that matters. :)

Congrats on the book, its a great achievement!

Aww, thank you, Lith :)
    That is great, sane advice. Especially the part in which I hold my head high. I should embrace my diversity ..... cute and old-fashioned as well as sinister and cruel when storytelling :o:)

I'll try my best. Thank you again, Lith ;)

Thanks, Sam :)
    Patchy is the worst feedback on my writing. I've had people live themselves into the story to the point they start to cry. Boyfriend says that's the best feedback ever ;)

Thanks for taking the time to encourage me, Sam. It helps :)

I echo what the others are saying, writing a book takes massive amounts of dedicaction and motivation, it's a massive achievement so well done :-D I'll look out for it!

Aww, that means a lot, Smiler :)
    ..... I've written two books! :D *suddenly feels prouder*

• Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Ok. I has more brood, mostly down to my own insecurity but also because of people's presumptions....

I wrote (and published) a novel about a boy with a wicked, abusive stepfather a few years ago. It's a really cruel story, with friendship and love sprinkled it in. Ever since, I've been so ashamed over my first published piece, even though, in itself it should've been the proudest moment ever. People think it's biographical because of the serious topic. My mother was conceded about what people would think when they saw it and it turns out she was right. That's btw the only feedback I got from her.

I suffered, I fought and I smiled with (and for) the characters. I worked for years. It was my biggest writing project ever. I was so proud... and now I feel so ashamed (still!) and wish it would go away and unpublish itself :(:(:(:(

Advice anyone? :(:(

I don't see anything to be ashamed of regarding the book from what you posted. No writer can absolutely control how a reader absorbs/experiences the book. Readers bring their own experiences/biases/assumptions to their reading of any book.

Readers wrongly presumed it was biographical. That's nothing negative about your writing/the book.

You actually completed the books. That's miles ahead of where most people get when they attempt to write books.

Don't be wishing to undo such a marvellous achievement! :)

If you can read this, you're too close!

SW wrote: »
    I don't see anything to be ashamed of regarding the book from what you posted. No writer can absolutely control how a reader absorbs/experiences the book. Readers bring their own experiences/biases/assumptions to their reading of any book.

Readers wrongly presumed it was biographical. That's nothing negative about your writing/the book.

You actually completed the books. That's miles ahead of where most people get when they attempt to write books.

Don't be wishing to undo such a marvellous achievement! :)

Oh, SW, the voice of reason <3:)
    You're right. I can't control what people see/feel/think when they read what I've written, and I shouldn't really bother myself with thinking about it either. I achieved something and I had a brilliant time doing so :):)

.... that deserves a celebratory glass o' bubbly, right? :rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

A celebratory glass of bubbly pffffft :P

Make it a celebratory bottle of bubbly instead :D

I like your thinking ....... A LOT! :D

• Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Bubbly! :D

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement

Don't feel ashamed at all lady c, you have no reason too, getting you book published is a huge achievement and you should be so proud...........I can't even get my book published "10 reasons to spend your holidays in Sligo" and "ohhhhhhh Sligo how we love thee" :mad: :P

On another note, I had my first exam today and it was a disaster :-(

I self-published. Anyone can do that :) ... so the great achievment in it is probably just my hard work :P
    Sooo.... I'm looking forward to read your self-published Sligo guides :D:D Maybe I can co-write one?

Sorry to hear about your exam, maybe it's not as bad as you think though? :)
    I mean, it hasn't been corrected yet, has it? :)

I'm looking forward to read your self-published Sligo guides :D:D Maybe I can co-write one?

That is an excellent plan :D

I seem to have become an expert in self sabotage. Lost 4.5lbs last week and the way I've eaten this week you'd swear I was trying to put it back on. Grrrr! :mad:

Loads of hugs for all the Nocs!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Fook the begrudgers Chuckles.

If they read it as being realistic, means it was well written imo.

Well done on getting it published,

Yeah on the weight loss Paws. A treat now & then does no harm.

Bubbly all round in celebrations.

Oh, I wish! They only read the back of the book before jumping to conclusions :mad::P
    .... Maybe it's a Freudian thing? Maybe they really wish it was a true story... and who's sinister then? :P:P:P

You're right though, Teddy. Fook them! :)

Feck them, Chuckles! They're probably just jealous!

Chin up, missus. You should be proud of yourself.

:)

You're a sweetie, Paw <3

:)

:o

• Advertisement

I feel like a right fool. How is it that whenever I trust someone it ends up biting me in the arse? I got chatting to a guy on Tinder over the last couple of days and after a bit of chatting, and a few pics (nothing too risque) he appears to have blocked me on it, and Facebook and Snapchat. Probably because I said I wanted to chat first, maybe meet in future and not just meet up for a quick shag. That isn't me. I'm never going to be a one night stand for someone. Honestly, no offence to anyone who's had one night stands but it's not my thing. I actually feel like crying. :(

Advertisement