Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Brooding Corner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Don't worry I'm only half unpacked here yet. *returns to matrix style armoury*

Once again Grem to the rescue! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I can't believe how idiotic people can be. My uncles seem to think it's fine to almost force Granny to keep walking just so people can see she's still alive at 93 and that they're great for 'minding' her. They honestly think people give a **** and that they're talking about them. The woman barely knows her own name, she can barely walk. It's cruel what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Just trying to see this from his side. It is important to try & keep her someway active & mobile. Would be no quality of life just to leave her sitting in a chair all day.

If he is forcing her to go out & about then it is definitely wrong & bordering on abuse. Does your mother/father (not sure which side side she is on) see things the same as you? They should have a word with their brother.

There's no talking to him. He has forced her to get out of bed in the past few weeks. She's 93 and has very late stage Alzheimers.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Well your uncle is a stubborn C.U.Next.Tuesday, if he's forcing a 93 year old woman to move around.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote:
    Well your uncle is a stubborn C.U.Next.Tuesday, if he's forcing a 93 year old woman to move around.
    Yep. The other uncle brought her out in the car on one of the coldest days last week for no reason at all.

Ted_YNWA wrote:
    Just trying to see this from his side. It is important to try & keep her someway active & mobile. Would be no quality of life just to leave her sitting in a chair all day.

If he is forcing her to go out & about then it is definitely wrong & bordering on abuse. Does your mother/father (not sure which side side she is on) see things the same as you? They should have a word with their brother.
    I get that it's important to keep her active but he's made her move when she doesn't want to. He's woken her up to bring her walking around the hospital. Christmas Eve he kept pestering her while she was resting. My cousin was there and told him to leave her alone and he ignored her. She doesn't have any quality of life at all. She never smiles, she never laughs, not really. She's always anxious. A lot of the time she's on the verge of tears because she's so confused and mentally drained. My Mam has tried to talk to him, so has my aunt and my cousin but he refuses to listen.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Are you able to look after her in your place?

Might also solve your other problem as well.

Ted_YNWA wrote:
    Are you able to look after her in your place?
    No she's full time in an Alzheimer's unit with staff that are trained to deal with patients like her. My other uncle is living in the house. She's far too badly affected by the Alzheimers now. She literally needs to be watched 24 hours a day. Think of how it would be to look after a toddler in an elderly lady's body. She needs help with everything. She can't even feed herself, she can't wash herself, she can't dress herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

This may come across as a bit ignorant sounding BUT shouldn't your grandmother be in a home rather than your uncle taking care of her if she is in the later stages of Alzheimers? Is your uncle a qualified care giver or has he any real concept the severity of the disease and how capable your grandmother actually is?

My OHs grandfather had Alzheimers too and for a while there were a few members of the family taking turns to take care of him in his own house but he actually got pretty bad and they couldn't mind him any longer. A lot of the family had young kids, a lot of them were working and some weren't in the best of health themselves. So they had a meeting and discussed what was best for him and it was decided he should be in a home. Even before they had this meeting they got OHs grandfathers doctor to give their honest opinion on what should be done.

Now some people might argue that you're only dumping them into a home and they become someone elses problem BUT if you or your family can't mind them at home and can't afford a private carer to come to the home, what other options have you? Plus she'd be better looked after. As I said I know a lot of people are against homes too and there is the route of getting someone from a caring agency to help out also, provided they have all the proper qualifications and what not.

If I were you I would find out from your parents if they are happy with the care your uncle is giving to your grandmother and if not maybe suggest to them they call a family meeting and discuss other options of providing care for your grandmother. As Ted said, maybe he's trying to keep her active as she wouldn't have any value of life sitting in a chair or bed. I know she's 93 and not really able for much but to even have her some bit active is a good thing. However if he is mistreating her and taking the absolute piss or has no idea what he's at, it's best to get her out of that situation. I also understand your frustrations and I understand that it's not easy to deal with. It's a very sensitive situation but I do hope it all works out and for the better for your grandmother.

• Advertisement

No she's full time in an Alzheimer's unit with staff that are trained to deal with patients like her. My other uncle is living in the house. She's far too badly affected by the Alzheimers now. She literally needs to be watched 24 hours a day. Think of how it would be to look after a toddler in an elderly lady's body. She needs help with everything. She can't even feed herself, she can't wash herself, she can't dress herself.

Ok only seeing this post there now. If she's kept in one of these units, why is your uncle in there hassling her so? Couldn't one of the doctors or nurses say something to him? Maybe if you asked one of them to have a chat with your uncle?

It's probably very hard for him to see her like this and that's why he's acting the way he is with her. Again I understand your frustrations and what not but honestly I think if you got someone like one of the nurses to say something to him he might back off a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

I can't believe how idiotic people can be. My uncles seem to think it's fine to almost force Granny to keep walking just so people can see she's still alive at 93 and that they're great for 'minding' her. They honestly think people give a **** and that they're talking about them. The woman barely knows her own name, she can barely walk. It's cruel what they're doing.
    There's no talking to him. He has forced her to get out of bed in the past few weeks. She's 93 and has very late stage Alzheimers.
    I get that it's important to keep her active but he's made her move when she doesn't want to. He's woken her up to bring her walking around the hospital. Christmas Eve he kept pestering her while she was resting. My cousin was there and told him to leave her alone and he ignored her. She doesn't have any quality of life at all. She never smiles, she never laughs, not really. She's always anxious. A lot of the time she's on the verge of tears because she's so confused and mentally drained. My Mam has tried to talk to him, so has my aunt and my cousin but he refuses to listen.

Talk to the care home so- they are the primary carer I assume?
    - your Uncles efforts are not necessarily a bad thing but need to be conducted under the supervision of the care home- are they?

Bedsores and infections kill elderly patients- however, you need to move an elderly patient in the correct manner- that's why supervision is so important

Mozzeltoff wrote:
    Ok only seeing this post there now. If she's kept in one of these units, why is your uncle in there hassling her so? Couldn't one of the doctors or nurses say something to him? Maybe if you asked one of them to have a chat with your uncle?
    Even if they did, I sincerely doubt he'd listen. This is the same guy who didn't want to give his father medication when he was dying of cancer because he doesn't take any tablets himself. No problem smoking though.

Bedsores and infections kill elderly patients- however, you need to move an elderly patient in the correct manner- that's why supervision is so important
    She's not actually bed ridden but she's very bad on her feet. She's literally forgetting how to walk.

I know I seem like I'm just going against everything that you are all saying. I'm sorry. I'm just frustrated and feeling quite sad today. :(

Even if they did, I sincerely doubt he'd listen. This is the same guy who didn't want to give his father medication when he was dying of cancer because he doesn't take any tablets himself. No problem smoking though.

I am sorry xPPx but he just sounds like and insufferable ass. I really don't know what else to say :( I really wish for your grandmothers sake he'd wake up and leave the staff to do their job and leave your grand mother alone.

As I said it's probably not easy for him to see her like that and he's having some sort of a freak out.

Sorry about the rants guys

Mozzeltoff wrote:
    As I said it's probably not easy for him to see her like that and he's having some sort of a freak out.
    That could be it to be fair. I don't know if it's me or not but I honestly just think he's being a p***k.

She's not actually bed ridden but she's very bad on her feet. She's literally forgetting how to walk.

Getting her to walk, even though she may not "state" that she wants to (because she's incapable of doing so) or indeed she may protest against it- is part of the treatment to slow the process down of being unable to do so- but obviously under the care and/or advice of the primary carer.

Getting her to walk, even though she may not "state" that she wants to (because she's incapable of doing so) or indeed she may protest against it- is part of the treatment to slow the process down of being unable to do so- but obviously under the care and/or advice of the primary carer.
    He's even going as far as waking her up when he visits her so I'm sorry but that's not fair

He's even going as far as waking her up when he visits her so I'm sorry but that's not fair

You need to speak to the care home so- they will advise as to whats permissible and what isn't when dealing with someone with Alzheimer's and specifically in relation to your grandmothers current state of health.
    I haven't heard anything you've said here of being particularly alarming per se - regular walking, waking them to be fed etc CAN be part of day to day life caring for someone with Alzheimer's- but it all depends on your grandmothers current condition as to whether or not it's appropriate.

Who is the primary carer? Your parents? Your uncle? The home?

• Advertisement

Who is the primary carer? Your parents? Your uncle? The home?
    The home.

I was just looking to vent..

The home.

I was just looking to vent..

Fine. I'm just trying to ascertain what the vent is about, that's all:)

I don't even know anymore :(

Not venting, just need to laugh at my cousin

READ ON

Remember folks if you're ever watching adult videos, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CLEAR YOU'RE BROWSING HISTORY.

Something my cousin obviously never thought of doing

Oh the **** that was kicked up, MARVELOUS i tells ya, absolutely marvelous :D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Not venting, just need to laugh at my cousin

READ ON

Remember folks if you're ever watching adult videos, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CLEAR YOU'RE BROWSING HISTORY.

Something my cousin obviously never thought of doing

Oh the **** that was kicked up, MARVELOUS i tells ya, absolutely marvelous :D:D
    Incognito browsing ftw

Hehe.. :p

I can't be the only one curious about what he watched :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Lithium93_ wrote:
    I managed a B&B for a while, a guest I knew quite well asked to use the office computer. I told him no problem and headed to bed. The next morning, the browser recovered the tabs; full of the horse sex YouTube videos he'd been watching! :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Chloris wrote: »
    I managed a B&B for a while, a guest I knew quite well asked to use the office computer. I told him no problem and headed to bed. The next morning, the browser recovered the tabs; full of the horse sex YouTube videos he'd been watching! :'(

:D

Chloris wrote: »

Must've been super awkward the next morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

I made sure to watch him when he was made the stables anyway, you can be sure.

Advertisement