Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Brooding Corner

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Very disheartened the last few days.. My mental health issues and this damn referendum are like a double edged sword to me at the moment.. Sorry for such a terrible post but I need to get it out in the hope I'll sleep sometime today.

Me too and for similar reasons. I'll be glad when this vote is done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thank you all. It's amazing how some stuff hits you. I appreciate the support more than you would believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Hang on in there Grem. We're all here for you 100%. Feel free to post here or PM as much as you want. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

btw grem, why is the referendum bothering you, are you afraid of the results? or something else, if i may ask..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Joya wrote: »
    btw grem, why is the referendum bothering you, are you afraid of the results? or something else, if i may ask..

Feeling a bit second class, tired of being a political football, bit disappointed in people I thought I knew better.. And as you said terrified of a no result..

• Advertisement

Feeling a bit second class, tired of being a political football, bit disappointed in people I thought I knew better.. And as you said terrified of a no result..
    i really hope it is going to be yes for the majority, for the sake of ireland.. it needs to go our of middle age and step away from the catholic church and its misery of holding things back..

so fingers crossed....

and as of people you thought you knew better, well at least you know now their true face (generally speaking) so.. there's some good in everything...

You'll always be a person to us :) Shame the No camp doesn't seem to understand that. My polling card arrived today, thought there was some fkery with my registration, but I'll be there on Friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I'll be there Friday too. Voting yes and I'm damn proud. In my mind there is no other choice, no was never an option for me. Voting yes is the right thing to do IMO. I'm straight and I have the right to marry, I don't see why same sex couples shouldn't have the exact same right as I do.

Thanks to you all. Apologies for the level of misery guts off me..

No apologies necessary, it's been really rough seeing the toll these horrific people have had on my queer friends. With a bit of luck it'll have all been worth it come Saturday evening and we have a proper result.

• Advertisement

Grem, no apologies necessary :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭butterbun

Nothing like some early morning heartache to set the tone for the day. There are times when I wish I had the emotional capabilities of a house plant.

I promise not to be too much of a whinge btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Whinge away, we are great listeners here & some posters give great pearls of wisdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭butterbun

That's nice to know, really! It's a tale best told over a cup of tay and within arm's reach of a psychiatrist. Ah, love.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Not looking for advice or anything just need somewhere to rant, I'm So angry at the moment, one of my older brothers is an alcoholic and every so often he gets these alcoholic related seizures (I've written about them here before) , he had two in one night there about three weeks ago and had been off the drink (we think) since then , anyway it looks like he's back on it ,we found bottles of vodka in his room and he's trying to tell us they were there since the last time :rolleyes: which is a lie because we cleaned out all the empty bottles in his room after the ambulance came and took him to hospital and he called me a prick and pushed me out the door when I confronted him :mad: I'm actually beginning too resent him now, it's all very upsetting , I use too look up to this guy when I was younger :( drink is destroying him and we don't know what too do anymore.

how old is he?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

how old is he?

and he's your real brother?
    btw do you know what is causing him to drink?
    pardon me asking perhaps you wrote previously its just i never haven't read your post before about it...

and he's your real brother?
    btw do you know what is causing him to drink?

Ya he's my real brother........we don't know, he wont get help

Seph that's an awful situation to be in. Poor you. :(

I haven't a clue what to say to you tbh, except I hope things get better soon.

• Advertisement

Ya he's my real brother........we don't know, he wont get help
    but did you talk with him? .. perhaps sit one night and just try to get him talk what is bothering him...

but did you talk with him? .. perhaps sit one night and just try to get him talk what is bothering him...

We have tried but He won't talk too us ,just ignores us or gets very angry.

We have tried but He won't talk too us ,just ignores us or gets very angry.

as someone who dealt with addictions both ways i can only say that it is hard to deal with it, i know its prob not what you'd like to hear.. and is something you know already..
    its a tough disease.. and roots are often too deep to be able to entangle them..

you live together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Not looking for advice or anything just need somewhere to rant, I'm So angry at the moment, one of my older brothers is an alcoholic and every so often he gets these alcoholic related seizures (I've written about them here before) , he had two in one night there about three weeks ago and had been off the drink (we think) since then , anyway it looks like he's back on it ,we found bottles of vodka in his room and he's trying to tell us they were there since the last time :rolleyes: which is a lie because we cleaned out all the empty bottles in his room after the ambulance came and took him to hospital and he called me a prick and pushed me out the door when I confronted him :mad: I'm actually beginning too resent him now, it's all very upsetting , I use too look up to this guy when I was younger :( drink is destroying him and we don't know what too do anymore.

So sorry to hear this Seph. That's a lot to be dealing with there.

Alcohol can be such a curse for people but also a crutch for them too. When that crutch is threatened it can cause them to lash out when confronted.

It sounds like you have a lot of love for your brother there man.

Has he ever tried the likes of AA?

as someone who dealt with addictions both ways i can only say that it is hard to deal with it, i know its prob not what you'd like to hear.. and is something you know already..
    its a tough disease.. and roots are often too deep to be able to entangle them..

you live together?

Ya we live together, I know it must be hard for him and kinda knew he might fall off the wagon again .

So sorry to hear this Seph. That's a lot to be dealing with there.

Alcohol can be such a curse for people but also a crutch for them too. When that crutch is threatened it can cause them to lash out when confronted.

It sounds like you have a lot of love for your brother there man.

Has he ever tried the likes of AA?

Its been suggested too him by doctors and by us but he refuses to go, refuses to go into tabor lodge which is place where alcoholics go to get dry in cork or if you have any addiction problem, you need to acknowledge that you have a drink problem before you can go in there anyway and he refuses too admit that he has a problem.

and by seizures what do you mean? is it like some physical reaction to alcohol or?

and by seizures what do you mean? is it like some physical reaction to alcohol or?

He's gets them if he's gone on a binge for a few days and then suddenly comes off it , its like he's having epileptic fit but he's doesn't have Epilepsy , his doctor said its too do with him drinking heavily .

Shte state of affairs Seph brother :( The unfortunate reality of addiction is this - only the addict can choose to stop.

Sounds like he's gonna have to keep headed for rock bottom.

He's gets them if he's gone on a binge for a few days and then suddenly comes off it , its like he's having epileptic fit but he's doesn't have Epilepsy , his doctor said its too do with him drinking heavily .

i mean all addictions have to do with unresolved emotional issues.. lots of un-existence of self love and the internal conflict caused that creates the urges to binge on whatever.. substance does not make much of a difference really..

i do not know your brother but id try to talk with him like in private.. if possible..

if not just be there for him and do not judge..

if not, last resort is of course, leave.. and leave him deal with himself on his own terms...
    Shiminay wrote: »
    Shte state of affairs Seph brother :( The unfortunate reality of addiction is this - only the addict can choose to stop.

Sounds like he's gonna have to keep headed for rock bottom.

yes, nothing more true than this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Sorry to hear that Sephers.

Don't know what to say apart from what the others have stated. It is down to him to want to change. All you can do is keep encouraging him to seek help. But then if you push too far, it could cause him to spiral or lash out.

We are here for a chat or support if you need a release valve.

Advertisement