Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Brooding Corner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Not looking for advice or anything just need somewhere to rant, I'm So angry at the moment, one of my older brothers is an alcoholic and every so often he gets these alcoholic related seizures (I've written about them here before) , he had two in one night there about three weeks ago and had been off the drink (we think) since then , anyway it looks like he's back on it ,we found bottles of vodka in his room and he's trying to tell us they were there since the last time :rolleyes: which is a lie because we cleaned out all the empty bottles in his room after the ambulance came and took him to hospital and he called me a prick and pushed me out the door when I confronted him :mad: I'm actually beginning too resent him now, it's all very upsetting , I use too look up to this guy when I was younger :( drink is destroying him and we don't know what too do anymore.

Sorry to hear that, alcohol addiction is crippling to deal with at the best of times but its beyond frustrating when someone wont accept the problem and seek help. Unfortunately I have no advice to give really, I hope it improves for you , no one wants to be be in conflict with their siblings or see them in bother so I can appreciate how difficult it must be.

I read more often than post and have often seen you posting here and there and you just seem like a really good person so when I happened upon your post I just wanted to say I'm sorry you have to go through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Seph I am so sorry hear this. I know the frustrations you're facing at the moment and it's tough out. (My housemate/OHs sister has a pretty bad problem too. She drinks every night because she finds she can't sleep without it and tries to tell us then she's not dependant on it :rolleyes: )

Honestly I can't really give you any advice that you haven't heard before. It's a rotten situation and it does take a lot of patience to deal with it. Hopefully he'll see the error of his ways sooner rather than later. Here's hoping you and the rest of the family are all right.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Thanks a lot for all your advice and well wishes advice pals , ye don't know how much I appreciate it, we can't help him till he asks for it, hopefully he'll ask for it before his health worsens and there's no comeback :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I have worked with many addicts and bottom line is that while it's terrible for the family to deal with no one can be helped until they firstly recognise there is a problem and secondly consciously decide that they want help. Alot of addicts may know they need help but not all of them want it. Rehab only works when the person is fully commited to beating it and it will always be a lifelong struggle for them. I'm sorry your family is going through this and I do hope that he comes to the realisation that he needs help soon and I hope that he can come to that place on his own. Makes the process so much easier. Must be very hard to deal with though for your perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Thanks a lot for all your advice and well wishes advice pals , ye don't know how much I appreciate it, we can't help him till he asks for it, hopefully he'll ask for it before his health worsens and there's no comeback :(

Sorry to hear your trouble Seph. there's no "secret sauce" advice to give i'm afraid for this one- (and i recognise you're not looking for one either)- there is an element of "standing by" and waiting on this one-

however, do try to get some counselling yourselves (family & urself) - it can help. It may not change the situation, but may help you deal with it differently- that's all. :)
    link below may provide some guidance-

http://www.al-anon-ireland.org

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,517 ✭✭✭addicted to caffeine

have to write this out before I go insane, I'm suffering from depression at the moment, it's really difficult, I've suffered this 3 or 4 times and wouldn't wish it on any one. everything is an effort and I'm really tired, as a result the cleanness of apt, me and things needing to be done are suffering as I don't have the energy (or the want to). I'm going round with a pain in me because of the break up, I've never felt so lonely in my entire life

bleh:(

sorry i had to get that out :o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

*hugs for caffeine and moar brohugs for seph* :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

have to write this out before I go insane, I'm suffering from depression at the moment, it's really difficult, I've suffered this 3 or 4 times and wouldn't wish it on any one. everything is an effort and I'm really tired, as a result the cleanness of apt, me and things needing to be done are suffering as I don't have the energy (or the want to). I'm going round with a pain in me because of the break up, I've never felt so lonely in my entire life

bleh:(

sorry i had to get that out :o

hiya ATC, i know how it is however, do know that - that too shall pass :)
    you will get out of that.. and till then just take good care of yourself as best as you can, sleep well, and take one day at a time, one step at a time, one breath at the time if that's all you can and be gentle with yourself..

hang on in there, hugs :)<3

thanks joya and sol:)

will try to take it a day at a time..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Idiots. Damnable idiots. Love being accused of being selfish in an argument I'm not involved in by a person behaving in an aggressively inconsiderate manner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Sorry to hear that Sepher....PM if you want a chat.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

I am very sorry it must feel so up and down. You have no control and yet are so affected by it.

I am so very sorry I hope something improves. Look after yourself too though.

thanks joya and sol:)

will try to take it a day at a time..
    Take care caffeine. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

Seph and Caffeine you both seem to be in a tough station recently and at the moment

I hope that things get a lot better for both of ye

thanks silverfeather and stereo :)

thanks silverfeather and stereo :)
    I hope things are better girlie we are here for you xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I was kind of excited for this weekend but now that it's here I haven't a clue what to do with myself.

I was kind of excited for this weekend but now that it's here I haven't a clue what to do with myself.

just do something Hugo, it will lead to other things- mow the grass, paint a door, check out Bloom festival, get a camera, take some photos and get one blown up really big and frame it, call a friend and meet up for coffee- I dunno, if you're Dublin based, link below might be helpful- other counties have similar. Sometimes, volunteering to help out at festivals etc gets you involved in things and can be great craic- hope you have a good weekend :)

http://www.visitdublin.com/dublin-a-to-z/results/?c0=640&c1=641&c2=&sr=&ip=&at=&dt=20150530%7C20150531&cm=20150529&vw=list&so=&pg=0&ty=10001&ca=1

Christy Moore sez it best:

Everybody needs a break,
    Climb a mountain or jump in a lake*.
    Some head off to exotic places,
    Others go to the Galway Races.
    Mattie goes to the South of France,
    Jim to the dogs, Peter to the dance.
    A cousin of mine goes potholing,
    A cousin of hers loves Joe Dolan.
    Summer comes around each year,
    We go there and they come here.
    Some jet off to … Frijiliana,
    But I always go to Lisdoonvarna.

*please note- lake jumping is not the best advice- this song was written before water safety really took hold in Ireland :D

edit- or go to the Noc Rumble :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057438263

just do something Hugo, it will lead to other things- mow the grass, paint a door, check out Bloom festival, get a camera, take some photos and get one blown up really big and frame it, call a friend and meet up for coffee- I dunno, if you're Dublin based, link below might be helpful- other counties have similar. Sometimes, volunteering to help out at festivals etc gets you involved in things and can be great craic- hope you have a good weekend :)

Thanks for the reply.

I've so little motivation to do anything anymore. A walk in the park is as exciting as life gets these days lol :o

Thanks for the reply.

I've so little motivation to do anything anymore. A walk in the park is as exciting as life gets these days lol :o

well, do that so Hugo. Today i mowed the lawn, did some weeding in the garden, got some messages, listened to some music, posted a bit on boards, cleaned up the house a bit- it was a day off for me, and i enjoyed it- but as you can see, it wasn't terribly exciting:P

*pauses, looks out window reflecting on the day- damn, windows need washing!!*:D

anyway, not everyday is an exciting day, but you CAN enjoy the day, nevertheless- that's all i was trying to say:o

BTW- just found this- might head in myself over the weekend- looks good.

http://dublinriverfest.com
    Cheers Hugo:)

• Advertisement

*hugs*

I can relate hugo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭butterbun

Just got myself out of a toxic relationship, feeling happysad. Things I learned:

-long distance relationships can suck it
    -human sexuality is a funny thing sometimes
    -a regular sleeping pattern makes life better
    -drinking a whole bottle of vodka doesn't get rid of emotional pain, just the contents of your stomach
    -rebuilding a social life will be difficult but not impossible

butterbun wrote: »
    Just got myself out of a toxic relationship, feeling happysad. Things I learned:

-drinking a whole bottle of vodka doesn't get rid of emotional pain, just the contents of your stomach

*bro-hugs*

You'll get back there again my friend.

*hugs* butterbun

I know how you're feeling, got out of a toxic relationship too in the last 3 months, it's hard but you'll meet someone in time who is so much nicer and values you who you are. mind yourself

Pm is open if you need to chat/vent etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

congrats bb, that's the best thing you could do for yourself..
    perhaps rebuilding will take a while, but at least it has a chance to happen..

we're here :)

Thanks guys ;-;

Remove the vodka of sorrow! Bring out the vodka of joy!

Remove the vodka of sorrow! Bring out the vodka of joy!

homerthegreat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

hugs for everyone that needs them...

*clicks the send hugs to the Lair button*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Today I met up with a friend of mine from college. We haven't seen each other in ages and we missed each other loads. Anyway, met up with her, did a bit of shopping, went for dinner and had two cocktails each. Nothing major. Her bus home was around half eight so we left the cocktail bar and I walked her up to the bus station and saw her off. I then made my way home.

I decided to take the shortest route home which happened to be the bones of a mile walk. Fair enough. So on I walk, not a bother. There was tonnes of people about and town seemed to be very busy. I got to the top of the road and decided to pop into the supermarket and pick up a few bits while I was passing. Got them anyway and left. Now the supermarket is at a certain junction which I had to turn right at and this brings you down on to a quieter and more lonelier part of town. There was a guy up ahead of me who at first I didn't really take much notice of. But as he was crossing the railway bridge, he stopped, looked back at me and then waited until I had passed him. He didn't say anything to me nor I to him. But I got this bit of a weird feeling. I kept walking anyway just didn't think much more of it.

Anyway about hundred meters away from the railway bridge there is another junction in which I have to turn left at again. This again is a pretty quiet and lonely road. There's a school half way down it and I could see that there were some teenagers playing basketball. Anyway I am about quarter of the way down the road and I decide to look back. I had this niggling feeling that something wasn't right about the guy, why would he leave me pass him like? Anyway when I looked back, there he was, strolling along behind me. He stopped again and took out his phone. I was feeling a lot more freaked out now. I started walking a lot faster and as I was approaching the school I could see that the guy was walking a little faster too. Again he stopped and pulled out his phone and pretended to be engrossed with it.

This stage I was freaking out. My OH had being working all day and I didn't know if he was home. At this stage I was only a quarter of a mile from the house but I just felt so freaked out I didn't know if I'd make it that quarter of mile (sorry for sounding so ****ing dramatic!!) I tried to ring him but the call failed. I honestly felt like crying. I gave a second or two and just as I was going to try again he rang me. I asked him was he home and when he said he was I explained to him rather quickly and quietly what was going on. OH was tearing out the door and told me he'd be a minute or two. I looked behind me again and this time the guy was getting closer. I never felt so sick and frightened in all my life.

I was gone past the school and I knew it was only a matter of time before something happened. I heard a car tearing up the hill towards me and before I knew it there was the OH. He pulled up alongside me, threw the door open for me. I hopped into the car straight away and banged the door shut. The guy walked past the car slowly and just stared in. OH got out of the car and called the guy to come back but he just kept walking on, pretending not to hear the OH. OH went onto follow him but I called him back, knowing OH he'd only start kicking the head off of him and I really didn't want that happening either.

I could have over reacted but this guy was acting dodgy as ****. Why did he leave me pass him on the railway bridge? Why did he stop and pretend to look at his phone every time I looked back at him? Why did he start speeding up towards me after we passed the school and the teenagers? I keep trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. He could have being out for a walk or something but a good 90% of me is certain that he was up to no good and I did the right thing.

I am not looking for sympathy or this a woe is me post, it's just I feel so bloody freaked out and angry.

• Advertisement

Oh god Mozz D:

This is nothing to do with looking for sympathy, that wanker (can we say wanker? I want to say stronger words) could've done the worst and it's fcuking (know I can't spell that properly) wonderful you got out safely. Stay safe forever Mozzperson.

Advertisement