Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Brooding Corner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Alicat wrote: »
    I'm more of a Swingin' Sixties, pink flower power kinda girl :p

Yup Alicat shares my love of the motown. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Yup Alicat shares my love of the motown. ;)

You like Motown? :pac:

Actually when I saw you out and about last week dressed like this I shoulda guessed :p

6Fashion240906_484x700.jpg

Dammit Cat don't be exposing what I do in my private time. >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Dammit Cat don't be exposing what I do in my private time. >_>

But red looks good on you!

Alicat wrote: »
    But red looks good on you!

Aye, that it does. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

So, to confirm my suspicions... God of War 3 is awesome.

In other news, Motown is also awesome. Do you know it was pretty much one bass player who wrote nearly all of those amazing basslines (and the Jackson 5 ones!) I can never remember his name, but that seems to be the way he likes it. He's a mystery, but lordy lord we owe him a debt.

I didn't know where else to put this, I didn't want the spot light of a seperate thread. But all the same it's about sadness and what, for me personally, causes it. So I think this thread is the right place.

I learned something about myself today. Your own happiness shouldn't be dependant on what other people think of you, or how other people value you. This is what I realised today, and then I looked back on my life at the moments at which I was at my most content and unhappiest. I realised that the times at which I was happiest was when I looked out for myself. I don't mean that in an arrogant or self-centred way, I mean in the sense that I wasn't looking for other people to make me feel valued. I valued myself, and that's all that mattered.

Of course, I also realised that the times at which I was at my unhappiest was when I sought justification from other people. I mean, it doesn't get much sadder than only being happy when someone shows you some attention. It's not healthy to form dependancies like that. It's not healthy to put people on a pedestal as your one and only chance at contentment. It's not healthy to let yourself be used. It's not healthy to dwell, to obsess or to cling to a fantasy that you know well is just that, a fantasy.

I used to mistake confidence for cockyness and arrogance, that was a long time ago. Now I realise however that you should hold your head high, that you should have confidence in yourself. You should have a swagger about yourself, a cocksure belief. You should have a mentality of "Hey, you don't like me then whatever, I like myself." You shouldn't crumble and whine just because someone rejects you. As Lily Allen would say, "It's you, not me." Walk Tall (shut up Roe ;)) in other words, for want of a better phrase.

So yeah, today was an interesting day, I suppose I had an epiphany. A moment of clarity. Enlightenment. I feel a new sense of invincibility. As the avatar says, you can't see me. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭flying _squirl

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Fewcifur wrote: »
    So, to confirm my suspicions... God of War 3 is awesome.

I found it's great to watch but playing it was... less rewarding.

Then exhaustion kicked in, then Just Cause 2 :/
    LZ5by5 wrote:
    As the avatar says, you can't see me.

I thought it was a nod to the guy from The Fast Show "you didn't see me... roight!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I didn't know where else to put this, I didn't want the spot light of a seperate thread. But all the same it's about sadness and what, for me personally, causes it. So I think this thread is the right place.

I learned something about myself today. Your own happiness shouldn't be dependant on what other people think of you, or how other people value you. This is what I realised today, and then I looked back on my life at the moments at which I was at my most content and unhappiest. I realised that the times at which I was happiest was when I looked out for myself. I don't mean that in an arrogant or self-centred way, I mean in the sense that I wasn't looking for other people to make me feel valued. I valued myself, and that's all that mattered.

Of course, I also realised that the times at which I was at my unhappiest was when I sought justification from other people. I mean, it doesn't get much sadder than only being happy when someone shows you some attention. It's not healthy to form dependancies like that. It's not healthy to put people on a pedestal as your one and only chance at contentment. It's not healthy to let yourself be used. It's not healthy to dwell, to obsess or to cling to a fantasy that you know well is just that, a fantasy.

I used to mistake confidence for cockyness and arrogance, that was a long time ago. Now I realise however that you should hold your head high, that you should have confidence in yourself. You should have a swagger about yourself, a cocksure belief. You should have a mentality of "Hey, you don't like me then whatever, I like myself." You shouldn't crumble and whine just because someone rejects you. As Lily Allen would say, "It's you, not me." Walk Tall (shut up Roe ;)) in other words, for want of a better phrase.

So yeah, today was an interesting day, I suppose I had an epiphany. A moment of clarity. Enlightenment. I feel a new sense of invincibility. As the avatar says, you can't see me. ;)

Well said and how true.

• Advertisement

Pretty accurate right there LZ, it's all about how you define your own sense of worth. If you value yourself then you'll feel confident and happy, but if you're trying hard to impress someone in order to gain worth, well, that's bound to end in some sort of disaster.

On a lighter note (:p), what annoys me today is people who masquerade as film critics but in reality they are just biased.

I mean it really is petty. There's one person I know who can't stand to acknowledge Batman Begins and The Dark Knight as the great films that they are. In fact, she describes both of these films as criminally overrated. I respect her opinion but it's just irrational hatred, I'm sure her opinion has nothing to do with the fact that she is a Marvel fangirl. She's upset that her beloved Spider-man is no longer the number 1 superhero franchise in town, and she insists that Iron Man is better than TDK. I love Iron Man, but it's a film that is made by the charisma of Robert Downey Jr.

She loves the Twilight films, yet hates Harry Potter. She dismisses Christian Bale's acting ability, yet insists that Justin Timberlake has the potential to become a great actor. She refuses to see Kick Ass, probably because it ruins her ideal of superheroes as the beautiful people who save the world.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, it's so frustrating. :mad: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I've been away from home for about nearly 3 months.

Moved home. Unpacked stuff and rearranged things.

Picked up one of the oldest and most loved teddies I have (a very very soft turtle!) only to discover a horrific sight.

SOMETHING had ripped it and burrowed it's way in (must have thought it was an actual animal with the long soft fur).

I'm guessing a moth or something that ate it's way in and tried to spawn babies :eek::eek::eek::eek:

The turtle has had to be disposed off. Gone forever. One of my oldest toys.

It was my friend :(

*sniffs* :(

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    I've been away from home for about nearly 3 months.

Moved home. Unpacked stuff and rearranged things.

Picked up one of the oldest and most loved teddies I have (a very very soft turtle!) only to discover a horrific sight.

SOMETHING had ripped it and burrowed it's way in (must have thought it was an actual animal with the long soft fur).

I'm guessing a moth or something that ate it's way in and tried to spawn babies :eek::eek::eek::eek:

The turtle has had to be disposed off. Gone forever. One of my oldest toys.

It was my friend :(

*sniffs* :(

Truly sad. Poor lil turts.

As for the biased film critics, wow, I never thought the Marvel v DC battle would cross over into films. Generally I'm a much bigger fan of Marvel than DC, but you just gotsta recognise that Batman is an unreal character and those movies are really good (whereas the Spider-man movies have been big budget but a bit bleh.)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I'll be sayting goodbye to my golden retriever by the end of the summer for the last time. I knew it was coming, but I hate the thought of saying goodbye to her. :(

I'll be sayting goodbye to my golden retriever by the end of the summer for the last time. I knew it was coming, but I hate the thought of saying goodbye to her. :(

Awww no :(

Is she getting old/sick or are you moving and can't take her?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

She going on 15 years of age, and has really lost her zest for life.

I'm really sorry to hear that :(

Thanks Tuddles, I think we got a bit more time with her. I just gonna miss her a load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

Ah Wolf I am so sorry. :( and sad.

• Advertisement

Thanks Deki, ah she's had a good life. I'll miss her but at least she'll pass with dignity.

Are you going to get a pup to act as an overlap?

Are you going to get a pup to act as an overlap?
    We also has a miniature schnauzer so that's plenty for us.

We also has a miniature schnauzer so that's plenty for us.

You may miss having a substantial dog though

Well my previous dog was a beagle so probably not.

Well my previous dog was a beagle so probably not.

That sounds nice, they have excellent facial expressions.

That sounds nice, they have excellent facial expressions.
    Indeed, indeed. You could always tell what she was thinking.

***k computers

***k Cryptography

***k computer architecture

***k Java

***k programming in general

***K IT ALL

Yup, just **** computers in general when it comes to having to use them for assignments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    ***k computers

***k Cryptography

***k computer architecture

***k Java

***k programming in general

***K IT ALL

/stabs in dark

You a CA student in DCU?

Advertisement