Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right all you Science heads!!

Options
  • 18-03-2009 11:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

can somebody please direct me on how to write notes for any of the science subjects as tbh i havent a ******* clue.

any help very much appreciated:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

Well my teachers just gave us the notes in a "write down what's on the board" fashion.

But if you're not being given notes and you're just reading, books will usually highlight key words and phrases, if you wanted to takes those down, perhaps rephrase them but make sure that no vital content is lost.

Organise things into list formats or tables where possible, neatness makes a huge difference.

If the teacher explains something in a way that seems more understandable than what's in the book, take that down along with what's in the book to make sure that the information is there.

You get murdered for leaving out the little details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

I copied down all the key information (in my own time) on flash cards. Just bullet points and if you feel you don't know the information then back to the textbooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I know in my Physics book there's an "what you need to know" sorta thing at the end of each chapter, just use that to write my notes, usually end up with an A4 page for each chapter.

Then for the experiments I write each experiment as short as I can, with the titles Appartus needed, Diagram, Method, Calculation and Sources of Error.

I've also written out all the formulas you need to know and definitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I guess one of the first would be definitions and formulas. You'll always encounter these in the exam. Then you can list bullet points of whatever you're summarising. Also, try to list some applications as well since they're often asked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭celtic723

I know in my Physics book there's an "what you need to know" sorta thing at the end of each chapter, just use that to write my notes, usually end up with an A4 page for each chapter.

Then for the experiments I write each experiment as short as I can, with the titles Appartus needed, Diagram, Method, Calculation and Sources of Error.

I've also written out all the formulas you need to know and definitions.

Gavin i know we haven't seen eye to eye in the past but i must admit yer not a bad lad. :D cheers for that.

• Advertisement

celtic723 wrote: »
    Gavin i know we haven't seen eye to eye in the past but i must admit yer not a bad lad. :D cheers for that.

No bother, now back to Glasgow with you.:P Are you doing Physics? What book are you using if so?

No bother, now back to Glasgow with you.:P Are you doing Physics? What book are you using if so?

would be a bit stupid to do half of 6th year then go to Glasgow wouldn't it? :pac::pac:

ye i'm doing Physics and have to say the calculations don't agree with me whatsoever. can't really get my head around them. i'm using some s*** book: Real World Physics??

ye i'm doing Physics and have to say the calculations don't agree with me whatsoever. can't really get my head around them. i'm using some s*** book: Real World Physics??

Same as myself, calculations and formulas don't go well with me. Look at it this way get the experiments questions fully right and that's 30% (I think) in the bag.;)

Ye I use that book aswell, at the end of each chapter in the grey box is where the "what you need to know" thing is.

ye imo the Physics course is very much maths orientated more so than i believe it should be. All science is about is Knowledge and tbh that's where i believe Physics sticks out like a sore thumb. It's more technically based and if your anyway weak at maths your gonna' struggle to be fair. I'll have a look into it but first i'm gonna' write out all the defintions and learn them off.

Ps: F is proportional to a will be on the lc as far as im concerned. Also Boyle's Law and measurement of g by freefall.:cool:

http://www.physics.ie/exam_help/formulas.php

http://www.thealy.com/LCPhysics/formulae/formulae.htm

http://www.physics.ie/exam_help/definitions.php

Save yourself a bit of time instead of having to trawl through the book looking for them all.

• Advertisement

Ps: F is proportional to a will be on the lc as far as im concerned. Also Boyle's Law and measurement of g by freefall.:cool:

Hopefully they come up, not the hardest experiments in the world tbh.

if i end up in DIT next year i'll get you a drink LOL cheers man:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Brillian links! Cheers!:D

Des23 wrote: »
    Brillian links! Cheers!:D

There's a few others I posted up in "Leaving Cert Links and Websites" at that the top of the page that are very useful aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I believe the only thing you really need to know is that nanomachines are the cause of and solution to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

I believe the only thing you really need to know is that nanomachines are the cause of and solution to everything.

I thought that was alcohol. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Did anyone get a leaflet from DIT in post the recently? It basically says that there's a science open day on the 4th of April (Saturday).

Anyone else going?

creggy wrote: »
    Did anyone get a leaflet from DIT in post the recently? It basically says that there's a science open day on the 4th of April (Saturday).

Anyone else going?

ye i might go..want to find out more about that Biomed course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 CallMeDoctor

Who can best finish my equations and explain their importance....

1. H20 + CO2 -> ?
    2. CaCO3 + H2CO3 -> ?
    3.2H20 + CaC2 -> ?
    4. CH3COOH + C2H5OH -> ?

Bonne chance

creggy wrote: »

Anyone else going?

Ye I did, not too sure if I'm going or not as Shels are playing down in Galway the night before.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

Got a couple of leaflets from them last year about the open day but by the time it had come around I had completely forgotten about it.
    Ye I did, not too sure if I'm going or not as Shels are playing down in Galway the night before.:cool:

Good man Gav!:cool:

Advertisement