Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack needs your help!

Options
  • 18-03-2009 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

Jack arrived today from Meath Pound (Ref 130, Pound name Roland). He is a young Rottweiler, at max he's 2 yro. Transporter (thank you, Doris!!!) brought him to Bea's where I picked him up... and took him straight to my vet.

Apart from being grossly overweight and several smaller things which are easily dealt with... Jack has Entropia in both eyes and needs an urgent operation. I wasn't told he has eye problems and I simply haven't got the funds for an operation which costs at least 400 Euros.. My own vet can't perform this operation so I need to go to Bea's vet David Fagan. With my own vet I can pay it off weekly etc but with another vet I can't do that so I need to raise the money BEFORE he can have the operation. My heart goes out to him, his eyes are so sore :(.

p926573.jpg
    p926575.jpg
    p926579.jpg

He has a lovely temperament and 3 schoolgirls at the vet's were smooching with him while we waited for his turn. They gave him the name "Jack the Lad".

Please, if you can help, please do so. He deserves a chance of a pain free life.

Thank you very much!

Admin: I hope it's ok to post this here, if not please delete and accept my apologies!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

Hi Egar
    How can I help? I could send a few euros your way to help out. Send you a cheque or some cash maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

The dog shelter that I volunteer in has a poor rottie with the same thing. Luckily enough she is already booked in for her op thanks to a certain dublin vet with a big heart! My heart goes out to Poor Jack.
    Why not contact a few bands in the Galway area and ask if they would do a benefit gig for Jack? I did it last year for dogsindistress and it was a great night and we raised a good few quid that went towards a poor little dogs vet bills.
    I'll donate a few quid if you have someway of getting it to you.
    Good Luck EGAR, keep up the good work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Hi there,

What a looker your Jack is!! So nice!

Have you spoken to anyone in the Blue Cross in Drumcondra? They are all really nice and helpful...I think you should defo give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Would love to donate to the Jack cause. You do such a fantastic job. Please let me know how to make a contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Doh!!! totally forget you are in Galway. (Ignore my previous post)

Let us know ways to contribute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

count me in let me know how to donate. Paypal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hi and thank you all so much! Your support means alot! I have no paypal but the dogs have their own bank account :D, so you could tranfer money into that or use snail mail for a letter?

The details are:

East Galway Animal Rescue
    Lagoo, Kylebrack
    Loughrea
    Co. Galway

and

AIB Loughrea
    Account Name East Galway Animal Rescue
    Sorting Code 93-74-28
    Account 05902074

The idea with the bands is great but as I am doing pretty much everything myself I simply do not have the time for fundraising like that. So if anyone is interested in raising funds for EGAR, they are more than welcome to do so! Any ideas MOST welcome!!

Jack will also be looking for a new home in due time so if anyone should happen to fall in love with him, he will be up for rehoming after his OP!

THANK YOU ALL!!!!

You're doing a great work and I hope people will make effort and send enough money for Jack's eyes surgery and other doggies!!! Am planning to go to the bank at lunchtime.

On another matter, any luck with Finnegan getting adopted? He is a magnificient dog and went through a lot ( I remember when first posts abouth him after he was found).

Thank you so very much!!

Re Finnegan: he has had three queries, the first HC failed with flying colours, the second lady has cats :( and the third query didn't get any further than the initial phone conversation as Finnegan is not a lamping dog nor do I rehome to hunters... So he is still up for grabs.

Sorry EGAR Friday was mad in work and did not manage to go to the bank but already taken time off to go today! I really hope both Jack and Finnegan find good homes soon, they are lovely dogs!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

EGAR wrote: »
    Admin: I hope it's ok to post this here, if not please delete and accept my apologies!

Course its ok.Any time you need to make an appeal like this fire away.

Will pop a donation your way closer to the end of the week when I get paid.

More news re Jack. He has been seen by Leanne at the BARNA CLINIC and has had a 40 minute checkup. Very nice lady with lots of experience in eye surgery. Jack weighs in at 66 kg...

I am surprised that his heart is still ok at that weight. But it is and so are his lungs! She did a thorough eye exam which involved different drops and an anaestethic in the eyes. Jack was as good as gold, he sat down and tried to give us all the paw whilst she probed!!

It appears that he has had surgery on the eyes before (hence the scarring which can be seen in some of the pics) although it WAS a rather "crude" job.. His lower eyelids are completely curled in and they block the tear duct as well. So she will have to make incisions the lengths of both lower eyelids.

His operation is scheduled for Thursday and she has agreed to a payment plan which is absolutely great!! So please keep the donations for him coming, she gave me the same estimate as David Fagan: app 400 Euro. The good news is that Leanne thinks the OP will be a success and he wont need follow up surgery. She can do both eyes at the same time!

I can't believe how well he behaved, he is just a big heffalump!!!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT, JACK DESERVES IT!!!!!

For those who don't do metric, 66kg are 10 stone 5.5lbs :eek:

http://barnavetclinic.ie

Rollweiler:

p926810.jpg

Rottie grin

p926811.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Christ on a bike, is that a callous on his elbow in the second last pic? It's the biggest one I've ever seen.

I'm hoping to get down to the bank tomorrow to throw a few quid your way towards Jack's operation - he is GORGEOUS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

A 10 1/2 stone dog-wow

Ah with the joys of halifax's internet banking I don't need to leave my chair to donate:P

You should have it within 5 working days apparently

No, it's a growth and will be removed during the OP (ulcerated skin tag - the biggest I have ever seen!). He does have a few pressure sores but I have seen alot worse.. :(

Again, thank you for all your help!!!!!

i've set up online transfer thingy but have to await an activation code so will get you a few bob this week hopefully. 10 and a half stone is extreme for a Rottie!! i see a diet in jacks future!! he's gorgeous though well done and the vet sounds brilliant

Long story short: Jack is doing great!! He was ever so good, never a growl out of him even post op when he must've been sore and disorientated. It took three of us to load the big heffalump into my van!

The vet it confident that the OP put an end to his eye trouble. He is wearing a buster collar for the next week or so and looks like a racoon as the area around his eyes is shaved like specs (pics will follow tomorrow).

By the time we arrived at home he was fully awake and climbed out of the van himself! He is such a big cuddly Rottie, hard to believe that no one came forward to claim him!

The OP came to 461.23 Euros and 290 of it was paid today - many many thanks to all those who have contributed!! I will have to take Jack back next week for a POC and hopefully will have more to give to her.

I can only highly recommend Leanne, the practise is of the highest standard and I was VERY impressed and that is saying alot as I have seen more vet practises than I care to remember.

I had asked her to do a pre-OP bloodtest as Jack's gums are very pale but his bloods came back ok, looks like Jack is a "pale" boy!

I am knackered but VERY happy and Jack is sleeping it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Egar, you are a hero, I have such admiration for what you do. I am sending a cheque as we speak :D.

great news well done to you and my thoughts are with big jack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

I will send a donation when I'm home from work later. Great to hear he is doing so well :)

• Advertisement

donation sent this minute was waiting for the online banking registration

Here are the promised pics, the first one was taken this morning:

p927323.jpg
    It looks very sore but Jack was in high spirits, honest, I think that dog is a saint!

And this one I took late this afternoon, his eyes are already so much better!!

p927324.jpg

Jack will make someone very very happy, he is very bidable and aims to please, he even tried to play with me this evening, albeit very clumsely ;).

Thank you all!! I will keep you updated on his progress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Small donation sent your way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Donation sent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

So happy to hear Jack is doing well! I really hope he gets the home he deserves. Well done EGAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hi EGAR,

I know this is going back to April but I just wanted to know how Jack is since? Did you manage to re-home him? I met you at the Pet Expo with Morgan, gorgeous dog so friendly. Well done on brilliant work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I am sure that Sarah will update when she gets the time - very busy lady.
    There is good news & bad news. Jack has made a full recovery & he is adorable with a very gentle personality.

Bad news he is still with Sarah & costing a fortune to keep so please keep your ears open for anyone who could give him a good home.

Good news! I've rehomed Jack today and he went off to live with a retired english couple who had asked me weeks back for a Springer Spaniel as they had them all their lives. They don't live very far from me and came to see me a couple of times during which they fell in love with Jack. So it's match made in heaven for the dumbo :D.

MANY thanks to all who helped and enquired about him!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Brilliant news. If ever a dog deserved a good home it was Jack. Gosh he is in for such a nice surprise. Well done Sarah.

I would add that Sarah took some criticism over taking Jack & having to spend so much on his eye operation. It is a credit to her that she stuck to the task even if the bank manager would not agree.

• Advertisement
Advertisement