Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEED ADVICE FROM FELLOW BER ASSESSORS!

• 18-03-2009 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Doing a rating on this house attached,
    Can you see the tiled facade above the two front windows? It is basically a timber frame, with plastrboard internally, with the concrete tiles covering outside. Ive never done this before, and just want confirmation on what i should do here. Because the house is existing DEAP is giving me default u-values for the walls. I can work out the area of these tiled sections no problem, my question is should i try to calculate a more realistic u-value for these sections, i.e a timber frame wall, and adjust the value by finding out the thermal resistance of the concrete tiles or is that over the top for an existing house??
    Appreciate any advice.
    3366663936_9f3b09284d.jpg

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

only work out a specific u value IF you can confirm what the construction make-up is.... and what the thickness of each material is, and what resistance each material has, including all thermal bridges....

can you do this without doing an invasive survey.???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Use defaults only unless you actually have substantive proof of the specific build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

Thanks for the reply guys,

The answer is i cant be 100% confident of the thickness of the timber frame behind the tiles.
    (From my own experience i have seen this kind of construction done before, and i know that it is usually a frame made of 3"x2" studs, with battens running across the studs and the tiles nailed onto the battens.)
    But i cannot completely guarantee that this is the case here. I also cannot guarantee that insulation was placed within this timber frame behind the tiles.
    My gut feeling is that this section of the facade will have a higher u-value than the DEAP default, which is why im concerned about taking the defaults, which might give the dwelling a higher rating than it actually is.

Am i being too scientific about all this?????!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Without written or visual proof you cannot do a U value calculation and put the result in instead of the default. Use the default and move on your experience is not proof, theres nothing you can do, unless you have a hammer!!!:D

No6 wrote: »
    Without written or visual proof you cannot do a U value calculation and put the result in instead of the default. Use the default and move on your experience is not proof, theres nothing you can do, unless you have a hammer!!!:D

Thanks for that, think il leave the hammer in the toolbox, and use the defaults. They really should expand the DEAP software to take into account things like this. It would make the whole process a lot easier!!

Thanks guys

• Advertisement

burly wrote: »
    Thanks for that, think il leave the hammer in the toolbox, and use the defaults. They really should expand the DEAP software to take into account things like this. It would make the whole process a lot easier!!

Thanks guys

just work out the area of the TF wall and enter it as a TF wall in DEAP.... the age band will automatically generate a u value. In general TF u values are better than masonry as you go back in age...

sydthebeat wrote: »
    just work out the area of the TF wall and enter it as a TF wall in DEAP.... the age band will automatically generate a u value. In general TF u values are better than masonry as you go back in age...

Yeh but the problem with that is, when i select TF as the wall type, will DEAP not assume there is insulation there?? And i cant guarantee that there is!!!

burly wrote: »
    Yeh but the problem with that is, when i select TF as the wall type, will DEAP not assume there is insulation there?? And i cant guarantee that there is!!!

no it wont, it will assume a u value...

similarly if you input that the wall is a cavity wall, the default will simply give it a u value based on construction at that time....

Advertisement