Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthur the Heron

Options
  • 19-03-2009 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Just returned from a weekend trip to Galway. Saw a heron standing in front of a house near the Spanish Arch. We visited the location a few more times and most of the time, this little guy would be there either standing in front of houses, on top of cars, or strolling along the pavement.

We've found loads of pictures of him on the net. Found out he is called Arthur the Heron. And that a B&B was named after his visits.

He is obviously a bit of a legend. Can anyone tell me more about him? I've grown very fond of him and when I go to Galway next, I will definitely go and visit him.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

NibNib wrote: »
    Just returned from a weekend trip to Galway. Saw a heron standing in front of a house near the Spanish Arch. We visited the location a few more times and most of the time, this little guy would be there either standing in front of houses, on top of cars, or strolling along the pavement.

We've found loads of pictures of him on the net. Found out he is called Arthur the Heron. And that a B&B was named after his visits.

He is obviously a bit of a legend. Can anyone tell me more about him? I've grown very fond of him and when I go to Galway next, I will definitely go and visit him.:)

Heres Arthur saw him today sitting on the bridge, do see how your so attracted to him though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Not funny. Infracta'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

The only Heron I know is the one that hangs out by the mill run on Mill Street, but his name is Ralph

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭thecountessp

There's 3 I know of, the old fella who hangs out at Mill St (we call him Gil, as in Scott Heron. Yup- I know). There's the younger one on Mill St, and the Long Walk one who stands on car roofs.

Can't believe I'm getting into ornithology in my old age...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

lovertits wrote: »
    the Long Walk one who stands on car roofs.

He is cool, I saw him crapping on the roof a brand new BMW 6 series once .....what a dude !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

You'd want to have seen the state of him on Tuesday. He was down the Spanish Arch drinking (illegally!!). Threw a load of rubbish around the place and vomited and urinated on shop shutters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

I love that herrion, i have pics of hi on my facebook,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

Who is arthur the hernon?? A pic would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

And a pic you shall get.

I've some more on a backup I might dig up later. He comes up and taps at a door along the Long Walk and an old lady comes out on feed him a small pot of spuds and the odd veg leftover! Quite the character.

heron_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

And there was me thinking you guys were referring to a bum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NibNib

lovertits wrote: »
    There's 3 I know of, the old fella who hangs out at Mill St (we call him Gil, as in Scott Heron. Yup- I know). There's the younger one on Mill St, and the Long Walk one who stands on car roofs.

Wow! I didn't know there were 3 of them! When I visit Galway next, I must pay all 3 of them a visit! :rolleyes:

Here is a link to 1 of many pictures of Arthur on the net:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruthann/431899102/in/set-72157600024735191/

He is famous I am telling you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

There's nearly always along Bruach na Coiribe, in the same spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭thecountessp

I always thought it was the same heron, but when I moved close to Mill St. I noticed that it was 2 different fellas there - one a bit older and scruffier than the other.

They do cheer you up when you see them out fishing. Now, about those cormorants; I reckon they're the stealth ninjas of the bird world...

Advertisement