Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brawn GP Favourite Team

• 19-03-2009 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Since Jordan left F1 I have been looking for a new favourite team. I settled on Ferrari, just because Michael Schmuacher was driving for them. Now with a man like Brawn owning his own private team, I feel like jumping on board in day one I saying they are my new Favourite team. Why ? Brawn GP is want every F1 team should be. A privately owned team, owned by a racer, not a team owned by a huge company with chairmen in charge that may find it hard to tell a Nascar from an F1 car.

Roll on the old days of Sauber, Liger, Minardi and Jordan.

I wonder what are the odds of Eddie Jordan trying to get back into the game with the new €30 budget rule ?!!!!! I'd say alot of people will be interested in filling the remaining spaces now. Off the top of my head, Paul Stottard, Virgin, Prodrive, Ian Philips, .....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

For a budget of £30m, you might find a few top touring car / rally car teams sniffing around F1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Presumably, Dave Richards will take a another look at Prodrive entering a team seeing as a some of the issues regarding cost and customer parts have been addressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Wouldnt it be great to have it like the early 90's. Load of half asses teams with rookie drivers scrapping for posistion knocking into each other at the back of the field. They would add a few more names to this list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Hey Goth, will you still support Brawn if they don't turn out to be the favourites that everyone is prediciting and they start to sink down the back of the grid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Hey smooch71,

I supported Jordan for years when Qualifying 6th was a good result, and any grand pre where they managed more than 1 point was cause for celebration. Jordan finishing 6th was MUCH more important to me than my favourite driver, Schmuacher winning. I was always happy if schumacher crashed out, if that meant Jordan moving from 7th in the race to that valuable last points position of 6th. Hope that answers your question

• Advertisement

"Wouldnt it be great to have it like the early 90's. Load of half asses teams with rookie drivers scrapping for posistion knocking into each other at the back of the field. They would add a few more names to this list"

I dont think anyone wants a return to that, but I really dont think it will happen for the following reason.

For a team that goes with the €30 million budget cap, they will have much more technical restrictions, i.e will be able to run larger wings, more engine revs, more winglets, that sort of thing which will insure there are competitve, not getting lapped 6 times in a race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Fair play, hope it didn't sound like I was accusing you of jumping on the Brawn bandwagon!!

I followed Jordan through thick and thin also and watching them win in Spa in 98 was as exciting and nerve wracking as watching Ireland on Saturday.

The budget cap rule concerns me, I don't think F1 needs a glut of crap teams to plod around like back in the days of pre-qualifying. Formula 1 has to remain a cut above all other forms of single seater racing in terms of technilogical innovation, despite Ecclestone's and Mosley's best efforts to turn into a spec series and we already have too many of those competing just below F1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Did anyone notice that Paddypower has Jenson as 7-2 favourite to win in Albert Park! I know they put in some quick testing times- but surely they cant be favourites to win, can they?

It "LOOKS" like its between him and a ferrari.

Don't be too surprised. Remember the 1998 McLaren, came frest from the factory to win the first race of the season in Australia. It then dominiated the season. All it had was a shake down. Its happened before !!!!

I have €20 on button for the championship at 20-1 and 10 on Rubens at 33-1 for the championship

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Chopper888

It will be hard to see Button and Barrichello being quick for the entire season. They seem to have an advantage at the minute from the pre season testing times but expect the top teams to catch up quickly in terms of development. They are certainly in with a great chance of a podium at the 1st race .

• Advertisement

It will be more difficult for teams to catch up this year with the testing ban though. Thats my theory. Anyway, at 20-1 and 33-1, the odds were too good to pass up

Yet again more people suggesting Brawn will dominate in Melbourne...
    http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=45317 Frank Williams
    and
    http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=45320 Massa

Im starting to think those 20-1 and 33-1 bets were quite good value!! I will still be shocked if either Rubens or Jenson win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

Yeah , Brawn f1 cars were competitive straight out of the box.

After 35 laps , they were setting the new pace.
    and dont forget how late they came to testing , long after almost everybody else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

It will be interesting to see how they go in the race :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Id like to see brawn be as good as they seem but I doubt it tbh. I think a points finish in the first race with both cars actually finishing would be a great result.
    I wouldnt be surprised to see a ferrari, heidfield and vettel on the podium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Yeah I've been reading that the bookies have Button as the favourite to win in Melbourne. It will be an amazing feat if they manage to pull it off. Although it looks like a few of the other teams are going to kick up a fuss about the Brawn diffuser.

It would be amazing if Brawn were genuinely and legally so far ahead of the other teams. I'm sceptical but I'm hoping that I'm proved wrong.

I actually didn't realise until there now that the next race is only next weekend. Fantastic, two races back to back.

Anyone else getting up early to watch the practice tomorrow (Friday) morning? I think BBC are streaming it on their website but I don't know if they will be like ITV and not allow it to be streamed outside the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

thegoth wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Since Jordan left F1 I have been looking for a new favourite team. I settled on Ferrari, just because Michael Schmuacher was driving for them. Now with a man like Brawn owning his own private team, I feel like jumping on board in day one I saying they are my new Favourite team. Why ? Brawn GP is want every F1 team should be. A privately owned team, owned by a racer, not a team owned by a huge company with chairmen in charge that may find it hard to tell a Nascar from an F1 car.

Roll on the old days of Sauber, Liger, Minardi and Jordan.

I wonder what are the odds of Eddie Jordan trying to get back into the game with the new €30 budget rule ?!!!!! I'd say alot of people will be interested in filling the remaining spaces now. Off the top of my head, Paul Stottard, Virgin, Prodrive, Ian Philips, .....

Well I have followed Honda religiously since I got into the sport in 2003 and I love Jenson and Rubens so Ill definitely be cheering on Ross Brawn racing.

How great would it be if they could do what Honda did in their return to the sport and really shakes things up at the top of the table.:D

Cant see JB winning in Melbourne though. I reckon two drivers in the top 8 would be a great result and a podium would be out of this world. Ive seen pre-season hype before and testing often means little once the season starts.

But my view is they cant be as bad as Honda were last season:rolleyes: Anything after that is a bonus:P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Protests have been lodged over the diffuser designs of Brawn GP, Toyota and Williams.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7965056.stm

Anyone else getting up early to watch the practice tomorrow (Friday) morning? I think BBC are streaming it on their website but I don't know if they will be like ITV and not allow it to be streamed outside the UK.

All prsctice sessions will be available on the "Red Button" on BBC1 ;)

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    Protests have been lodged over the diffuser designs of Brawn GP, Toyota and Williams.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7965056.stm

Here we go:rolleyes:

Should be the easiest thing in the world to check out.....I thought the new rules were supposed to simplify things.

Can anyone tell me what happens if i have a bet on Kimi to win and lets say Jenson comes first but is later disqualified due to an illegal diffuser and kimi came second? I presume the bookies wont pay out a few weeks later after the inquiry?

Ficus wrote: »
    Stewards have rejected the protests against the Williams, Brawn and Toyota teams' diffusers, meaning the three cars are free to participate in this weekend's Melbourne race.

Teams have one hour to appeal which you can be assured they will do ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I've asked this on another thread but I thought I'd ask it here. I only have Magnet entertainment so I don't know/don't think I have that "red button" functionality. Anyone know if there's a way to watch the practise coverage on Magnet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Did anyone notice that Paddypower has Jenson as 7-2 favourite to win in Albert Park! I know they put in some quick testing times- but surely they cant be favourites to win, can they?
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    No chance he will win it, It would take a miracle of epic proportions for it to happen.
    Yet again more people suggesting Brawn will dominate in Melbourne...
    http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?id=45317 Frank Williams
    and
    http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=45320 Massa

Im starting to think those 20-1 and 33-1 bets were quite good value!! I will still be shocked if either Rubens or Jenson win!
    Babybing wrote: »
    Cant see JB winning in Melbourne though. I reckon two drivers in the top 8 would be a great result and a podium would be out of this world. Ive seen pre-season hype before and testing often means little once the season starts.

But my view is they cant be as bad as Honda were last season:rolleyes: Anything after that is a bonus:P

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

IvySlayer wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Lol....I was completely wrong....and Im happy as a pig in sh1te:D

Fantastic for F1, absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    No chance he will win it, It would take a miracle of epic proportions for it to happen.

BRILLIANT!!

Advertisement