Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Councillor Mary Roche

• 19-03-2009 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Has she finally lost the plot? Not content with criticising media pundits she's now after being on Billy Mccarthy mentioning Boards and saying that a lot of people on the Waterford forum are in agreement with her stance on the primacy of the city centre .
    Now while we all would like to see the city centre doing well does anybody really have any faith in the current batch of councillors to actually get anything done in the city centre .
    While some people might not like the idea of anonymous media pundits criticising the council I think that the phoenix gave a very good account of himself in this weeks column in reply to Miss Roche who herself used the comments of anonymous internet users to back up her argument.
    I for one am sick of her and all the rest of her cronies on the council who are only worried about getting on committees and having mayoral pacts so non enteties can go around an a robe and try to look important , rather than trying to do something constructive for the people ' if she has such a problem with Waterford and Kilkenny Co Co s than she is in a position to do something a bout it and spare the rest of us her electioneering

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Yeah, I heard her on wlr as well and she was making my blood boil to be honest, She was originally brought on to discuss the situation with the Co Council and TK Maxx, but she went of on one proceeding to have a go at Kilkenny Co Co for allowing Ferrybank to go ahead in the first place and not only that, she was livid that ferrybank had been granted and extra 3000 sq/m of retail place only this week.

She tried to justify the high parking costs along the the high rates in the city centre buy saying that that money is needed to be able to supply clean water to the city centre and keep our streets clean.

She mentioned all the available units that were empty in the City Centre, from the Cinema, to the land at the top of exchange street, and also Enterprise home care, and questioned why retailers like TK Maxx, and M&S would not locate in those units. At a guess, I would imagine that these retailers would prefer to go into new ready made purpose built units, rather than have to start a building from scratch.

When she was asked about Tesco and Next, she said that they were only able to sell a certain amount of clothes in those units and thats why the were granted permission. I guess she does not go into Next that often:rolleyes:

Judging but the texts and comments coming in she was not getting a whole lot of support from the people of Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

meldrew wrote: »
    Has she finally lost the plot? Not content with criticising media pundits she's now after being on Billy Mccarthy mentioning Boards and saying that a lot of people on the Waterford forum are in agreement with her stance on the primacy of the city centre .
    Now while we all would like to see the city centre doing well does anybody really have any faith in the current batch of councillors to actually get anything done in the city centre .
    While some people might not like the idea of anonymous media pundits criticising the council I think that the phoenix gave a very good account of himself in this weeks column in reply to Miss Roche who herself used the comments of anonymous internet users to back up her argument.
    I for one am sick of her and all the rest of her cronies on the council who are only worried about getting on committees and having mayoral pacts so non enteties can go around an a robe and try to look important , rather than trying to do something constructive for the people ' if she has such a problem with Waterford and Kilkenny Co Co s than she is in a position to do something a bout it and spare the rest of us her electioneering

Especially considering a Kilkenny man and fellow councillor currently is the mayor and his brother is currently the mayor of Kilkenny

and why didn't the council (which she is a member) lodge an objection with ABP re the Ferrybank revised planning application

Ditto for the Butlerstown retail park. It is the Council job to protect the City Centre and heretofore they have not performed very well

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mary Roche preaching about us all on local radio, yet she wont even sign up here, identify herself and discuss local issues and try to get the peoples vote? Not one candidate running for election (excluding Stan Nangle of County & Tramore Town election area) has came onto this forum and took part in our recent discussion or tried to discuss Waterford issues and try somewhat to get people to vote for her. There are a lot of unhappy people with the current council and she can refer to us without even taking part in our discussions? I don't even recall anyone specifically pointing out a policy/view by her and agreeing with it.

More councillors/candidates should be using these forums as a medium for discussing local issues, addressing peoples concerns and therefore helping them in the run-up to the elections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Do you reckon any of our elected reps even know boards.ie exists? or if they do that this forum is here?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mike65 wrote: »
    Do you reckon any of our elected reps even know boards.ie exists? or if they do that this forum is here?

I know some of them do. Word gets around anyway. We have a town councillor for Tramore signup but he hasn't posted since the traffic lights in Tramore were fixed.

Besides, Mary clearly knows and as a result should be dedicating some sort of time here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Sully wrote: »
    I know some of them do. Word gets around anyway. We have a town councillor for Tramore signup but he hasn't posted since the traffic lights in Tramore were fixed.

Besides, Mary clearly knows and as a result should be dedicating some sort of time here.

Well said Sully and if she is reading here frequently she will know that its a place of reasonable debate and the people on here are as passionate as she is about their city and she should have no fears about debating relevant topics as any kind of abuse is not tolerated .
    I'm very surprised that more candidates are'nt on here because they would get a far better indication of what people think than they would on doorsteps when people just want to get rid of them because they're watching the match or eastenders or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

mike65 wrote: »

I assume they all have websites? If so, can we send them a hyperlink?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I have sent Mary Roche an email inviting her to open an account here on boards. Will be interesting to see if she replies to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Good point sully and our local tds as well.Although if they sign on i might lose my head all together :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

if they do all sign up it will be politics.ie lite

then on the other hand they can have their council debates on-line here for all to see their petty squabbles

• Advertisement

Bards wrote: »

then on the other hand they can have their council debates on-line here for all to see their petty squabbles

I think it would be good, personally, if they came on and contributed. Rather then shilling themselves but properly contributing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Do you know what would be great?

If Mary relased in article in the munster and had like
    mike65 wrote: etc etc
    much like the quote button here.

Actually Mary just copy and paste some of the more enlightened posts (and possibly some of mine :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Bards wrote: »

politics.ie is home to political nerds, and ones with somewhat extreme agendas at that. At least there's real people on here.

If you want to get wrapped up in real-politik, that's the site for you...

merlante wrote: »
    politics.ie is home to political nerds, and ones with somewhat extreme agendas at that. At least there's real people on here.

If you want to get wrapped up in real-politik, that's the site for you...

I tried Politics.ie.. but the main Politics forum here was moving faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I am actually Mary Roache, you can check it out by my last few posts.Currently playing gears of war 2 on the olde 360 to get a break from politics and to rev up my aggression circuits before I go on Wlr....seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

lolol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

yeah leave Mary alone you dreary shower, she is the bomb, I think there should be a Mary fan club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

There's probably a pool of maybe 20 regular posters here. Boards.ie appeals to a very particular demographic so I can fully understand why Councillors and TD's alike don't think it's worth their while trying to "reach out" to people, who as far as they're concerned, are nothing but anonymous usernames.

Sully, wouldn't it be great if you got to ban a few of them? Oh, and don't anyone invite Brendan McCann on here. Imagine if he read everything we've written about him!!! On second thoughts, what's his email address? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

gscully wrote: »
    Sully, wouldn't it be great if you got to ban a few of them? Oh, and don't anyone invite Brendan McCann on here. Imagine if he read everything we've written about him!!! On second thoughts, what's his email address? :D

I've got a username in mind already!
    Serial Objector!

:D

• Advertisement

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I've got a username in mind already!
    Serial Objector!

:D

How about NIYBY? Not in YOUR back yard!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd say she's scared that she'll be ripped apart on this forum and her comments used against her,

boards.ie is a force for many companys and ministers etc to pay attention to, its a pretty popular site around Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

She has some crazy views as well, like restricting the availability of alcohol even further, banning alcopops and all sorts.

These bloody politicians telling us how and what to drink makes my blood boil.

Lets drop the sarcasm folks and pretending to be somebody your not. Councillors should feel welcome here without being subject to abuse or people making fun of them. The same applies to any person who may have an interest signing up here. Plenty of local councillors read the forums, including comments about their policy's and views. Just when it goes to far, a line has to be drawn.

Thanks.

Adam: Plenty of them have blogs and are experienced with this type of thing. I cant see them being put off joining because some people post under a different nick/name. Its worked fine on blogs and other forums for politics, and its worked fine for other areas where people would be posting here to people they don't know (not just regular day to day people). Pass that onto your friends :)

Advertisement