Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting wallpaper..bubbles

Options
  • 19-03-2009 11:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

I recently hung some paintable wallpaper in the hall.When i started to paint over it with emulsion i noticed a lot of bubbles forming.
    I manged to sort most of them out but there's still a few and the wall needs another coat.
    Will i get more bubbles with the next coat and whats the best way to prevent this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Degsy wrote: »
    I recently hung some paintable wallpaper in the hall.When i started to paint over it with emulsion i noticed a lot of bubbles forming.
    I manged to sort most of them out but there's still a few and the wall needs another coat.
    Will i get more bubbles with the next coat and whats the best way to prevent this?

Sounds like you painted over it too soon, before the adhesive had dried off completely. I'd leave it for a week before trying again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Thanks folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

This is normal.
    Paper expands when it gets moist (in this case from the paint) and where it's been stuck to the wall, it can't expand without bubbling.
    This is not the same type of bubbling you get whilst hanging the paper itself...that is caused by not allowing the paper enough soak time and/or by hanging it badly or failing to smooth it over.
    The bubbles in your case will pull out as the paint dries and the paper contracts. Wait until the paper has returned to it's original state before you apply subsequent coats.

[edit] Don't do anything like is suggested in the other thread...no pricking bubbles or slicing paper...leave it alone and it will pull out (assuming the papering was sound in the first place

Advertisement