Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting scared pup into a car

Options
  • 19-03-2009 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering has anyone any ideas on how to get a scared puppy over being terrified of the car and refusing point blank to get into it? My mum's 5 month old st bernard isn't having it at all, despite a day spent trying to trick/bribe/cajole him into the car. He's gonna be a big bunny as well so picking him up and putting him in won't work for very long (as well as probably scaring him and making the whole experience worse) My mum wants him to get used to the car now so that he can be brought to the vets and stuff, and hopefull away on holidays with them this summer :)

Thanks a mill!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

I posted on how to try it before here on a thread. Might help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I know this sounds absolutely rediculous, but I had the same problem with a dog. If it is the boot you are trying to get the dog into, get in yourself,(I know, I know:D) and call the dog. When the dog realises that you are quite happy to be in the boot, they will come around. If this fails, half fat cheese can bribe the most stuborn of dogs. Also make sure there is a blanket or something that smells like the dog in the boot to lie on. Smells are very important to doggies and they will not want to spend time in a place that smells like engine oil! Also, keep a few toys in there. This should be a place where your dog can relax on the way home from a walk.
    Any pics of the little trouble maker??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

Any pics of the little trouble maker??:D
    +1!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Thanks a mill guys, I'll be in there with a big lump of cheese and his teddy this weekend!

Have loads of photos of him, have basically been chasing him round the place with a camera since he came home! will try upload some of them now
    Ben#5293073553919120914

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

?action=view&current=benjamin.jpg

benbone.jpg

bengorgeous.jpg

teddyben.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

slowly does it rewards for being around the car, smelling the car, in the car, in the car for a minute with the door shut a quick lap in the car etc and buidl it up you may want to get one of these and train him to use it too, we got one for our newf to spares his growing joints the jump in and out and obviously we can't be lifting him. At first he would trot in my himself after some training but in his adolescent phase has taken to resisting and takes a little cojolling. I used white pudding rolled into small balls and frozen in the fridge to motivate the little rascal

http://petloader.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

benbone.jpg

bengorgeous.jpg

teddyben.jpg

Wow! I rarely say this....... but I am jealous!!! He is a beaut!
    Let us know how you get on with the training.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

benbone.jpg

bengorgeous.jpg

teddyben.jpg

Wow, He's gorgeous, especially the last pic in the doggy bed, that's so cute, Regarding getting him into the car, I'd use Markies as a reward, (Made by Pedigree) My dog Molly (Shepherd rescued 10yrs ago aged 2) will do anything for one, (I'm teaching her to mop the floors with a Markie as a reward :D) seriously tho, I've trained all my dogs for the last 25+ years and find Markies are the best reward as far as both Molly and my Doberman (Nigel) are concered, I use Markies for everything from basic obedience to Molly turning on the tap when She's thirsty, The trick is to turn every lesson into an enjoyable experience or game for the dog, learning should be fun!
    Enjoy Ben, He's a beauty, Is He properly trained for a leash yet? He's gonna be one strong dog!!!

Advertisement