Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripping up Killarney - best pubs?

Options
  • 19-03-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Bringing 15 - 25 lads to Killarney tomorrow and we need places to drink (as well as watch the match), and also places to get something to fill our aching bellies the mornings after.

Any suggestions? Somewhere that does good Guinness (or Murphys, we are going to the outback after all :p) as well good pub grub...

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Always liked Murphy's for pub grub, and you can get a decent pint in there as well. The Crock of Gold is also good for a pint, but might be a bit quiet for so many lads out on the tear. Decent place to start.

For the match, you would usually get a projected screen in the Tatler Jack or The Granary.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I would recommend Murphys also (hi Sean ;) ) for the pub-grub and the guinness also so i'm told (personally can't touch the stuff).

The match, well you will be spoiled here in the outback so you will:
    - Tatler (always been a sports bar with several tv's showing varying sports, turn around and watch another if it's not going the way you like)

If you want to experience the *outback then pop into O'Briens

*okay, well maybe not the outback but will certainly send you back in time

- The Failte though is the one I would have to recommend for the sports (and not because I may be in there :D ) but always has a good mix of crowd and a great atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Cheers lads, sounds like some good suggestions there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Courtneys is the best pub in town for a pint of Guinness. I swear. It's more of a "cosy" pub though, than a place for 25 lads. Still gets my vote for best pub in town by a long shot. It's just next door to the tatler.

Aye, that can be a good spot too. Also the best menu if you fancy more than the usual suspects that you'd find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Courtneys
    It's just next door to the tatler.

:confused: I am not from Killarney, but --- I thought that The Tatler was just down from the taxi rank and that Courtney's was up near Foley's restaurant.

dh0661 wrote: »
    :confused: I am not from Killarney, but --- I thought that The Tatler was just down from the taxi rank and that Courtney's was up near Foley's restaurant.

This does get some people confused on nights' out I can assure you, even among my own friends from the town.

Courtneys is on Plunkett Street, by the taxi-rank & near Tatler Jacks
    Corkery's is up High Street by the 98-bar
    Crock O'Gold then is further on up High Street by Foley's restaurant

From Killarney myself and been getting Courtneys and Corkerys mixed up for the better part of 8 years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

kerry4sam wrote: »

This is the one I was thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

This does get some people confused on nights' out I can assure you, even among my own friends from the town.

off topic i know but Crock O' Gold should be avoided at all costs. Charlie, the guy who has it now tried to run O Conors into the ground before he left it taking all its business. Only now is it starting to find its feet ( yes the pub has big family ties :P)
    Also on topic. I quite like the Guiness in there.

• Advertisement

off topic i know but Crock O' Gold should be avoided at all costs. Charlie, the guy who has it now tried to run O Conors into the ground before he left it taking all its business. Only now is it starting to find its feet ( yes the pub has big family ties :P)
    Also on topic. I quite like the Guiness in there.

The girls and I went in there the lastnight just to see what it was like (I hadn't been in there in years!) and the only other people that were in the bar were 3 men near on 70years of age. We stayed for one and watched a bit of horse-racing while having a chat. But it was obvious our chatting wasn't appreciated as they wanted to watch the racing in peace ... don't honestly believe we will be going back in there.

dh0661 wrote: »
    This is the one I was thinking of.

I have to say it is a great spot. We always end up in there at some point on our nights out.

seamus wrote: »
    Bringing 15 - 25 lads to Killarney tomorrow and we need places to drink (as well as watch the match), and also places to get something to fill our aching bellies the mornings after.

Any suggestions? Somewhere that does good Guinness (or Murphys, we are going to the outback after all :p) as well good pub grub...

Cheers

Hey Seamus! Did you all survive Killarney then? Any of you make the headlines while in town? :D Any feedback you want to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

It's also worth mentioning, there used to be a second pub called courtneys next door to corkerys. (Which is actually where the confusion amongst people 30+ comes from, hell alot of people I know still refer to courtneys as 'Yer Man's')

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hey Seamus! Did you all survive Killarney then? Any of you make the headlines while in town? :D Any feedback you want to share?
    Survived alright, don't think we upset the locals that much except that the stag decided he was going to pull a main circuit breaker which he found out the back of the Kube. Nothing happened luckily :D

The suggestions were much appreciated, though not sure how much we took them on board. Spent the first night in the Laurels - good enough pints but we had dinner there and it was unbelievable. Best Fajitas I've ever had. Went to the Central nightclub/bar yokie after. Not a lot to shout about; just like any old Dublin grungey bar, though the barmaids are astonishing. It's worth it just for them :D

Second night we were in the Danny Mann to watch the match cos it was mostly empty and had a big screen. Good atmosphere for that, though it's not really much of a pub. So we went with some locals to the Speakeasy (tiny bar, fantastic pint of Guinness), then onto the Kube - not a lot to shout about there either. It looks like any normal ultra-modern, glass everywhere, we're so posh nightclub.

A good weekend was had by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

The girls and I went in there the lastnight just to see what it was like (I hadn't been in there in years!) and the only other people that were in the bar were 3 men near on 70years of age. We stayed for one and watched a bit of horse-racing while having a chat. But it was obvious our chatting wasn't appreciated as they wanted to watch the racing in peace ... don't honestly believe we will be going back in there.

well yeah it seems during the week its quiet but come Friday night its a whole different kettle of fish. you should try it out when there is a trad band playing there

oeb wrote: »
    It's also worth mentioning, there used to be a second pub called courtneys next door to corkerys. (Which is actually where the confusion amongst people 30+ comes from, hell alot of people I know still refer to courtneys as 'Yer Man's')

Oh yeah,yeah, yeah the now named C2 bar. You would very often find Corkery's jam-packed but with space-galore then in C2. Although they are inter-connected, most people tend to stay in Corkery's...hence the better atmosphere and craic.

well yeah it seems during the week its quiet but come Friday night its a whole different kettle of fish. you should try it out when there is a trad band playing there

Take some doing to persuade them to go back there if we're stuck for time especially since we've heard the trad band kick off in other bars with a more welcoming atmosphere mid-week. We'll see, thanks overexcitedaj

Take some doing to persuade them to go back there if we're stuck for time especially since we've heard the trad band kick off in other bars with a more welcoming atmosphere mid-week. We'll see, thanks overexcitedaj

Hopefully they got rid of all the 17 year olds that used to fill the place up on a saturday when it was Br. Macuddas.

oeb wrote: »
    Hopefully they got rid of all the 17 year olds that used to fill the place up on a saturday when it was Br. Macuddas.

+1 ... you know, I don't even see them hanging around the frontdoor anymore so maybe that's a good sign

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭FRANKENFURTER

JADES in new street is always good to watch a match four screens and sorround sound ...the little courtyard is good too for a smoke as you wont be seen standing on the street .....te guinness is by far the best in town and its only 3.90...foleys is alwasy good for a game also...does any one from killarney agree??????

JADES in new street is always good to watch a match four screens and sorround sound ...the little courtyard is good too for a smoke as you wont be seen standing on the street .....te guinness is by far the best in town and its only 3.90...foleys is alwasy good for a game also...does any one from killarney agree??????

My vote still goes to the Granary. Although it gets JOINTED.

The Granary? Jeez, don't know what it is but I just can't take to that bar.

I was in there once since lastyear and that was at Christmas when my mates & I done our version of the 12nights of Christmas ... when we had 12different drinks , in 12different bars in Killarney , all in honour of the 12nights of Christmas.

Advertisement